Is it worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
curto127

Is it worth it?

Postby curto127 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:40 pm

I’m not sure how many of you TLS forum regulars will be able to relate to this, but I need some advice and I would appreciate some candid reality.

Here’s the back story: I graduated from a respected honors program at a large state university in 2008. I took the LSATs on a whim in Feb. of 2009. Law school was not necessarily a goal of mine, but I wanted to keep my options open. I applied to Temple Law this winter largely because they do not accept LSATs scores older than three years. I got into Temple and received a small scholarship.

Because I had already paid the LSAC fee, I decided to apply to Hofstra as well and Hofstra offered a full scholarship. I made a rash decision (I only had two days to decide) and accepted. After trolling the TLS forums I’m second guessing myself. I’ve come across a lot of Hofstra hate on this site, and I’d love some input on whether or not Hofstra would be a good choice for me.

Here are the current facts:
1. I know Temple is a better school, but 3 years at Temple will cost around 50k plus living expenses. I will only have to pay cost of living at Hofstra, which I’m estimating to be about 50k.
2. Law school is not my top priority. If it were, I would probably retake the LSATs, study harder, perhaps take a class and try to score above 170.
3. I need to stay in the top 40% of the class to keep my scholarship.
4. I want to be close to New York City to pursue other creative avenues. I realize I will not have much free time, but I feel that I will be able to escape LI at least a couple times a month.

I’m not even sure I want to practice law. That said, if I actually do like this lawyering business, I’m afraid Hofstra will limit my options. Is this true? Is it worth getting a free J.D., or am I going to waste three years earning another worthless piece of paper? Are law degrees actually as versatile as some people lead you to believe? I’ve heard both sides of that argument. Finally, assuming I work very hard and graduate in the top 10%, are my options really that limited because I’m not attending a top tier school?

Any input would be appreciated. I fully expect to get flamed for being delusional and/or arrogant, so flame on.

mrtoren

Re: Is it worth it?

Postby mrtoren » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Don't go. $50k in living expenses is still $50k. Add in interest and you're looking at an even higher tab. I'm not quite sure what you're even looking into law school if you don't have slightest desire to practice law. Its not a place you go to see if you like it; you either have a passion for law or you don't. You don't seem to. Its time to head into the real world and get a job.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm

curto127 wrote:I’m not sure how many of you TLS forum regulars will be able to relate to this, but I need some advice and I would appreciate some candid reality.

Here’s the back story: I graduated from a respected honors program at a large state university in 2008. I took the LSATs on a whim in Feb. of 2009. Law school was not necessarily a goal of mine, but I wanted to keep my options open. I applied to Temple Law this winter largely because they do not accept LSATs scores older than three years. I got into Temple and received a small scholarship.

Because I had already paid the LSAC fee, I decided to apply to Hofstra as well and Hofstra offered a full scholarship. I made a rash decision (I only had two days to decide) and accepted. After trolling the TLS forums I’m second guessing myself. I’ve come across a lot of Hofstra hate on this site, and I’d love some input on whether or not Hofstra would be a good choice for me.

1. I know Temple is a better school, but 3 years at Temple will cost around 50k plus living expenses. I will only have to pay cost of living at Hofstra, which I’m estimating to be about 50k.
2. Law school is not my top priority. If it were, I would probably retake the LSATs, study harder, perhaps take a class and try to score above 170.
4. I want to be close to New York City to pursue other creative avenues. I realize I will not have much free time, but I feel that I will be able to escape LI at least a couple times a month.

I’m not even sure I want to practice law. That said, if I actually do like this lawyering business, I’m afraid Hofstra will limit my options. Is this true? Is it worth getting a free J.D., or am I going to waste three years earning another worthless piece of paper? Are law degrees actually as versatile as some people lead you to believe? I’ve heard both sides of that argument. Finally, assuming I work very hard and graduate in the top 10%, are my options really that limited because I’m not attending a top tier school?

Any input would be appreciated. I fully expect to get flamed for being delusional and/or arrogant, so flame on.

Please don't go to law school until you are absolutely sure you want to work as a LAWYER, and, when you do, please take the LSAT very seriously because it will impact your future greatly.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

Is this a joke? Do NOT go to law school if you have no interest in practicing law. Do NOT expect to be top 10% anywhere -You have a 90% chance of being wrong.

What have you been doing the last two years? Whatever it is, stick with it, really think about whether or not you want to go to law school and if you decide that you di, retake and reapply.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 am

There's a distinction to be made here: lots of people go to law school without being SURE they want to practice law, and that's fine.

However, you absolutely must not go to law school without making it your "top priority." Doing so is suicide. You don't have to be sure you want to be a lawyer but you have to commit yourself to law for those three years, or at very least the first year (most important grade year).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 am

Do not attend law school.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 am

thesealocust wrote:Do not attend law school.

ETA: Where would you rather be 2 years from now: A law school drop out (since you ended up not giving a fuck, placed below median, and discovered a jerb wasn't happening) with ~$30,000 in debt, or a retail employee with no debt and management potential?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am

curto127 wrote:I’m not sure how many of you TLS forum regulars will be able to relate to this, but I need some advice and I would appreciate some candid reality.

You should definitely get out now while you can. Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. A JD is for being a lawyer, and don't look to the exceptions as evidence that you can do other things with the degree. The more likely scenario is that you can't get a legal job and then you find yourself being told you're 'overqualified' for other jobs. Next thing you know you're leaving the JD off your resume completely so you can get a job at Chipotle.

And never assume you're going to be at the top of your class. Working very hard =/= top ten percent.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:16 am

Do not go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer.

downing

Postby downing » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:31 am

Sounds like you should spend one year doing two things - making some money, and researching into an area/career you would like to fully dedicate yourself to.

Think about it - if you decide that law school is definitely for you, you'll end up approaching this endeavor with much more preparedness and a better LSAT score (supposing you don't take it on a whim again). If you decide against law school, you'll avoid huge amounts of debt and a lot of stress; and you may even discover that you've got a knack for something else and decide to go down another path instead.

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm

If you're heart is not set on a career in law than there is no reason to go to law school. It isn't something you do for fun or because it's Friday, you have no job and you don't have shit else to do. In all likelihood, you'll end up in severe debt in exchange for an expensive paper fan.

Don't hide behind more education, do something you actually care about.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:35 am

downing wrote:

Sounds like you should spend one year doing two things - making some money, and researching into an area/career you would like to fully dedicate yourself to.

Think about it - if you decide that law school is definitely for you, you'll end up approaching this endeavor with much more preparedness and a better LSAT score (supposing you don't take it on a whim again). If you decide against law school, you'll avoid huge amounts of debt and a lot of stress; and you may even discover that you've got a knack for something else and decide to go down another path instead.

Um, definitely this... Going to school on a whim is just damn stupid

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Um, definitely this... Going to school on a whim is just damn stupid

I dunno, that's basically what I'm doing. I'm pretty psyched too. 8)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Um, definitely this... Going to school on a whim is just damn stupid

Do either you or the OP have any legitimate interest in the study and/or practice of law?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:10 am

ahduth wrote:

You also have a much better LSAT score and more years of work experience.

OP- Like it was said earlier, hold off on attending this year. Law school isn't something you should rush into. Take time prepping for the LSAT, researching schools, and deciding whether or not law is for you. If you decide it is, you will have put yourself in the position of attending much better schools than your current options.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:53 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ahduth wrote:

OP- Like it was said earlier, hold off on attending this year. Law school isn't something you should rush into. Take time prepping for the LSAT, researching schools, and deciding whether or not law is for you. If you decide it is, you will have put yourself in the position of attending much better schools than your current options.

Yeah I was being facetious. I'm going to a T6, and I have a crystal clear understanding of the enormous debt burden I'm undertaking, and the work that will be demanded of me to get out from underneath it.

To be serious, don't go if you don't know you want to be a lawyer. It's not like an MBA where you can do... a bunch of stuff. If you get a JD, you have to become a lawyer basically. If you don't, you have to explain to people forever why you got a JD and... didn't become a lawyer. Make sure you're in to play the game.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:18 pm

thesealocust wrote:Do not attend law school.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 pm

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:37 pm

ahduth wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Yeah I was being facetious. I'm going to a T6, and I have a crystal clear understanding of the enormous debt burden I'm undertaking, and the work that will be demanded of me to get out from underneath it.

To be serious, don't go if you don't know you want to be a lawyer. It's not like an MBA where you can do... a bunch of stuff. If you get a JD, you have to become a lawyer basically. If you don't, you have to explain to people forever why you got a JD and... didn't become a lawyer. Make sure you're in to play the game.

Ahh, your sarcasm does not translate on the interwebz

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 pm

I have made far greater mistakes in life by saying 'yes' than I have by saying 'no'. Passing on an opportunity that is not right for you is a sign of maturity and self-preservation.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 pm

It may be a bit repetitive at this point but, please don't go. At least not right now. Give it some thought first, law school will always be there next year if you're ready.

You should NEVER attend law school because you think it will "open doors", and especially if there's something else you'd like to do (which it sounds like there is.)

If you didn't even have the enthusiasm to study for the LSAT- please ask yourself how in the world you are going to find the motivation to study for the battery of tests throughout the next 3 years? Also, I don't know the stipulations of your scholarship but most require you to keep a 3.0 or else they take it away. A 3.0 in law school is NOT a 3.0 in college (please look up LS grading curves). The scholarship system in law school is purposely designed so that a certain % of students who are offered scholarships WILL UNDOUBTEDLY LOSE THEM (there's only a certain number of people who are "allowed" to get over a 3.0, per say.) If you did the bare minimum amount of studying for the LSAT and got accepted then great!, you must have a decent head on your shoulders...but that's definitely NOT going to cut it in law school (and I wouldn't chance losing my scholarship on it either)

I don't think anybody on this board is trying to hurt your feelings, it's just a dose of tough love. I hope you figure things out, best of luck.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:55 am

Let's put it this way: I REALLY wanted to go to LS this year but decided to reapply and I think I will be much better for it. I believe I will be more mature and will probably get into better schools. SO even if you actually want to go, you should probably wait a year for a better opportunity than your half-assed application will afford you.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 am

40% scholarship stipulation is rough. If you can't motivate yourself to take the LSAT seriously, you're not going to be able to keep that scholly. And honestly, even if you were motivated, you'd still likely lose it.

If you go to law school, you're likely to see that 50k projected cost skyrocket once you're paying sticker. Then you'll be in a school you hate, studying things that don't interest you, and a promising career in the burgeoning industry of document review ahead of you. But hell, at least you'll have all that debt.

Stay away.

iamnooneelse

Postby iamnooneelse » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:13 am

curto127 wrote:Finally, assuming I work very hard and graduate in the top 10%, are my options really that limited because I’m not attending a top tier school?

Any input would be appreciated.

Flame?

Anyways, usually assumptions aren't associated with things that have a 90% chance of not happening.

If they haven't convinced you already, don't go to law school.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 am

An MA is for dicking around and "pursuing other creative opportunities." LS is not. Find a MA program in NY with a paid RA or TA position attached and you'll be in much better shape than if you try to do this while working on the JD.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”