Canada? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IamAskier

Bronze

Canada?

Post by IamAskier » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Anyone have experience with Canadian law schools as a US citiizen? On the whole, how do Canadian schools compare to US ones, and how has the Canadian legal market faired? Am I crazy for considering emigrating?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Canada?

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Canadian law school tuition is far less than at US law schools. Demand for attorneys in Canada is more consistent. Victoria & Vancouver are two of the most beatiful cities in the world. Toronto's economy is very robust. Ottawa is also quite beautiful.

lawstudents.ca may help.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Lots of canada talk on TLS today
Anyways here's something to get your research started: http://www.top-law-schools.com/international.html

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:24 pm

It's the weather. And the economy.

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Ya, from reading about Canadian law I get the feeling that the legal profession up there isn't in the shit as much. Plus the 20k international tuition and an LSAT median of 164 to attend one of the best schools in the country isn't bad either. I just wouldn't know where to start with applying. Do they use the LSAC or apply directly to the schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:48 pm

nevermind

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 pm

IamAskier wrote:Ya, from reading about Canadian law I get the feeling that the legal profession up there isn't in the shit as much. Plus the 20k international tuition and an LSAT median of 164 to attend one of the best schools in the country isn't bad either. I just wouldn't know where to start with applying. Do they use the LSAC or apply directly to the schools?
Things you need before applying:

1)Very strong GPA, 3.8 and above if possible(More important than LSAT in Canada).

2)Decent LSAT, 165 is the norm for maximal admission chances.

3)Tons of ECs(Hundreds of applicants with 4.0s and 170 LSATs get rejected from McGill/UofT/Oz because they don't have any ECs to stand out of the crowd.)Volounteering anywhere and getting involved in leadership positions will get you noticed a lot faster than being a retarded nerd camping at the library 24/7.

4)Outstanding personnal statement, and don't forget to tell them a convincing story, because applying as a U.S. Citizen with the excuse "I want Canada cuz US Legal Market is shitz and i can get models and bottles even from bad schols" will ruin all your chances to get admitted.

5)Start networking now, if you want BigLaw, it's slightly easier to get it in Canada, and you'll have to do consistent research on the Seven Sisters if you want to maximize your chances.

6)Call Immigration Canada to get more infos on citizenship restrictions or what ever goes through your head.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Oh LSAT is looked at in conjunction with your GPA as in they try to gauge your potential through both so I don't think splitters do well for Canada admissions. (this is guessing from what I've read in the link I gave you)

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Well I have a final GPA of 3.73 so I'm stuck there. I retook Monday so maybe that'll make up the difference (assuming I did better). I've always been confused about where me and Canada stand, since my grandparents were Canadian and I have a bunch of long lost relatives up there. Maybe the transition wouldn't be too hard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 pm

IamAskier wrote:Well I have a final GPA of 3.73 so I'm stuck there. I retook Monday so maybe that'll make up the difference (assuming I did better). I've always been confused about where me and Canada stand, since my grandparents were Canadian and I have a bunch of long lost relatives up there. Maybe the transition wouldn't be too hard.
With 3.73 you'll have a fairly good shot at McGill as they will weight ECs to compensate.
A good LSAT averaging 165 will make life easier for you.

You can get in UofT with a 3.7, but most who did so had amazing ECs, beast LSAT and many were on the waitlist.
For Oz, similar.

You can also enter decent Law Schools like UVic or Ottawa, Queens, Alberta, etc, rock in 1L and transfer to a better ranked school(Even though in Canada, rank doesn't matter at all unless you aim Bay Street without being in UofT).

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Noval wrote:
IamAskier wrote:Well I have a final GPA of 3.73 so I'm stuck there. I retook Monday so maybe that'll make up the difference (assuming I did better). I've always been confused about where me and Canada stand, since my grandparents were Canadian and I have a bunch of long lost relatives up there. Maybe the transition wouldn't be too hard.
With 3.73 you'll have a fairly good shot at McGill as they will weight ECs to compensate.

You can get in UofT with a 3.7, but most who did so had amazing ECs, beast LSAT and many were on the waitlist.
For Oz, similar.

You can also enter decent Law Schools like UVic or Ottawa, Queens, Alberta, etc, rock in 1L and transfer to a better ranked school(Even though in Canada, rank doesn't matter at all unless you aim Bay Street without being in UofT).
I think I'd definitely like to stay in Western Canada, so I was looking at either UVic or UBC.

Will being a US international applicant hurt my chances? And how would financial aid work since I am not a Canadian citizen?

thelawguy

New

Post by thelawguy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Last time I checked you had to be bilingual to attend Mcgill law. During my cycle, way back in 08, they required proof of fluency in French.

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I would highly recommend avoiding the cold, desolate wasteland that is Alberta. Also, you should think very hard before considering moving to Canada, and ask yourself these questions.

Do you like the idea of paying ridiculously high prices for real estate? Calgary is terrible, Edmonton isn't much better, Victoria is bad and Vancouver... No joke, enjoy living in a studio for the cost you'd pay for a house in a typical US city ITE.

Do you like the idea of a 2-4X increase in cost of living? Here's an example, what do you pay for 2L of milk? I payed 3.29 for it last night, and that's in Alberta where there is no PST/HST. There is a significant and noticeable difference between the two, unless you're living in a super expensive US city.

Do you like cold and snow (not so bad in Van/Vic, but pretty much everywhere else)?

Do you like poorly designed infrastructure, poorly maintained roads and a plethora of people who buy their driver's license and haven't the slightest clue how to operate a motor vehicle?

I could go on, and on. I'm bias, I hate a lot of things about Canada, most notably the fact that our pricing is based on a 60cent Canadian dollar. I would just advise you consider these things before you make the move

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IamAskier

Bronze

Post by IamAskier » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 pm

JCDent wrote:I would highly recommend avoiding the cold, desolate wasteland that is Alberta. Also, you should think very hard before considering moving to Canada, and ask yourself these questions.

Do you like the idea of paying ridiculously high prices for real estate? Calgary is terrible, Edmonton isn't much better, Victoria is bad and Vancouver... No joke, enjoy living in a studio for the cost you'd pay for a house in a typical US city ITE.

Do you like the idea of a 2-4X increase in cost of living? Here's an example, what do you pay for 2L of milk? I payed 3.29 for it last night, and that's in Alberta where there is no PST/HST. There is a significant and noticeable difference between the two, unless you're living in a super expensive US city.

Do you like cold and snow (not so bad in Van/Vic, but pretty much everywhere else)?

Do you like poorly designed infrastructure, poorly maintained roads and a plethora of people who buy their driver's license and haven't the slightest clue how to operate a motor vehicle?

I could go on, and on. I'm bias, I hate a lot of things about Canada, most notably the fact that our pricing is based on a 60cent Canadian dollar. I would just advise you consider these things before you make the move
No
Of course not
To a point (I ski)
Probably not

Like I said I definitely need to do more research. But it doesn't sound all bad. And ya I would avoid Alberta for sure, though Edmonton doesn't look too terrible.

JCDent

New

Post by JCDent » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Edmonton doesn't look too terrible.
Looks can be very, very deceiving. Just make sure you consider all factors.

Noval

Bronze

Post by Noval » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 pm

IamAskier wrote:
Noval wrote:

For Oz, similar.

I think I'd definitely like to stay in Western Canada, so I was looking at either UVic or UBC.

Will being a US international applicant hurt my chances? And how would financial aid work since I am not a Canadian citizen?
Go to UVic then, you will hate UBC as their community is pure shit(Too much arrogant gunners going there).

+ UVic's campus is a natural paradise. Being an internationnal applicant will not hurt your chances.

About the cost of living in Vancouer/Calgary, as long as you don't like in downtown, you're fine.
Living right outside the city is cheaper and you won't deal with horrendous traffic like in U.S. Cities.

If you get BigLaw(Considering you got good grades in Law School), you won't care about living costs, trust me.

For McGill, as long as you can understand written French you're good to go, got many friends from U.S./UK/Japan/China here at McGill and most of them are at the basic level, they don't know jack about pronounciation or spelling.
As long as you're not planning to practice in Quebec or France, French won't be an issue.

+ with the McGill LL.B./B.C.L., you can sit for NYC/MA Bars and some U.S. firms do recruit there, along with many Europe/Asia based firms as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”