Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $120,000 UCLA $80,000

Poll ended at Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Cornell
21
66%
UCLA
11
34%
 
Total votes: 32

rosalia
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby rosalia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:46 pm

So, I was all set to attend Cornell(75,000 in scholarship). Paid my deposit and found an apartment, until I received an offer from UCLA. Full tuition for the first year and $20,000 a year after that. I already have close to $100,000 in undergrad debt. I currently live in Cali, but went to undergrad in NYC.

I am less concerned about the east west situation.


Is Cornell worth the extra $40,000??
Last edited by rosalia on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Yes, especially if you want to stay in the east

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Close to a quarter million dollars of debt for seven years of education. Only in America, dang!

scammedhard
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby scammedhard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Cornell. And you have to get into Big law!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:59 pm

This is really an East Coast versus West Coast issue that only you should decide.

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:00 pm

rosalia wrote:So, I was all set to attend Cornell(75,000 in scholarship). Paid my deposit and found an apartment, until I received an offer from UCLA. Full tuition for the first year and $20,000 a year after that. I already have close to $100,000 in undergrad debt. I currently live in Cali, but went to undergrad in NYC. Although I do not mind LA, my family remains on the east coast.


Is Cornell worth the extra $40,000??


Given your huge undergraduate debt, I think you should try to minimize the law school debt. Your payments are going to be ridiculous.

The above the poster is right: you HAVE to get BigLaw. So study your ass off. Otherwise you're going to be paying those loans for the next couple of decades.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:This is really an East Coast versus West Coast issue that only you should decide.


+1

I voted for UCLA just because I like the area better.

Z3RO
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby Z3RO » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:10 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Close to a quarter million dollars of debt for seven years of education. Only in America, dang!

Welcome to TLS. This is a forum about law schools.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:19 pm

Z3RO wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:Close to a quarter million dollars of debt for seven years of education. Only in America, dang!

Welcome to TLS. This is a forum about law schools.


Loan Balance: $250,000.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $250,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 10 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00
Enrollment Status: In Repayment
Degree Program: Lawyer (LLB or JD)
Total Years in College: 7 years
Average Debt per Year: $35,714.29


Monthly Loan Payment: $2,877.01
Number of Payments: 120


Cumulative Payments: $345,240.90
Total Interest Paid: $95,240.90

:shock:

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm

nevermind
Last edited by uzpakalis on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby Light » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Before you decide, have you tried telling Cornell about your UCLA offer and vice versa? It's possible for you to get more money from each. I've seen quite a few posts of people successfully negotiating more aid at UCLA at least.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:45 pm

I still think you go Cornell here. The difference in Biglaw (which you will need with that debt) makes the call for you

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:48 pm

scammedhard wrote:Cornell. And you have to get into Big law!


If not, enjoy penury.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 am

OP, maybe I missed this, but where are you looking to practice? If it's LA, I don't see a rpoblem going to UCLA. If it's anywhere else, I think Cornell has to be the choice here.

That said, I agree with a previous psoter -- can you get some more $ out of them? And have you considered CoL differences? (LA obviously WAY, WAY more than Ithaca), but a much better palce to live.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Cornell $120,000 or UCLA $80,000

Postby Noval » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:31 pm

fingersxd wrote:OP, maybe I missed this, but where are you looking to practice? If it's LA, I don't see a rpoblem going to UCLA. If it's anywhere else, I think Cornell has to be the choice here.

That said, I agree with a previous psoter -- can you get some more $ out of them? And have you considered CoL differences? (LA obviously WAY, WAY more than Ithaca), but a much better palce to live.



What he said ^

But seriously, both are pretty good schools to study at, just follow your instinct and always take the less risky option.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Socratease and 6 guests