USD (Sticker) vs. Temple (Sticker) vs. Chi-Kent ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one

1. Chi- Kent ($$$)
50%
2. Temple (Sticker)
10%
3. USD (Sticker)
40%

Total votes: 10

aas911

USD (Sticker) vs. Temple (Sticker) vs. Chi-Kent ($$$)

Postby aas911 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm in at all three and having a tough time deciding....

I'm from Los Angeles and would ideally like to live/practice in an area without seasons.

1. USD is 180k+ in debt but next to the beach and would (hopefully) have better ties to the Southern California area.
2. Temple is 130k+ in debt and I really enjoyed the class i sat in on as well as the facilities
3. Chi-Kent is 100k in debt with a top 25% stip. to maintain the 80k scholly. I'm also interested in employment law and they have a specific certificate program and journal for Employment/Labor law. I have some connections to the city but for the most part I'd be on my own in my networking endeavors.

northwood

Re: USD (Sticker) vs. Temple (Sticker) vs. Chi-Kent ($$$)

Postby northwood » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm

its a toss up between temple and USD. I would say temple- but it will be very difficult to get back to cali from there. USD is super expensive, but its right in your backyard, and you dont have to worry about seasons and winter. CHI-Kent isnt worth 180k, and the top 25% stip is too tight. YOu cant assume that even though you qualified for that scholly you will keep it, as one or 2 median grades will force you to lose it, most likely.

IT comes down to this- is not having to deal with snow worth 60 grand to you? Would you be okay with living in eastern pa for a while after school? Would you be happy being far away from family ( assuming they are all in cali) and would that negatively impact your outlook on life and school in general ( hard to go home for visits and holidays) If all of those and what else you have add up to more than 60 grand- then dont go there. But if you are okay with that, and have family nearby to lean on- then prehaps it will be a good fit.

If you are still unsure about those 3 schools- defer for a year and visit temple in january for a few days to get a feel for life in winter. Its not bitter cold, but if you arent used to living through a winter- its an eye opener.

aas911

Postby aas911 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Northwood. I think you brought up some really good points and an interesting perspective to the decision.

Here's a little more info that might be helpful....

I've been leaning Chi-Kent for a while because I like the idea of keeping the debt burden low. More info about the scholly: The scholarship is guaranteed for the first year and tiered in a way that at worst I incur 150k in debt (bottom 50% after first year), incur 130k in debt (top 50% to top 25%) or 100k (top 25%)

I have family in all three cities but I am much closer to my family here in California and do have some ties that could potentially lead to landing internships/jobs in the area.

My cousin who lives in North East Philadelphia and works near Temple recently had a friend get shot and killed because this person wanted his motorcycle. He's so shook up he told me not to come. Can anyone comment on the area surrounding Temple? I've done my research and visited and didn't think it was all that bad. But other people have said otherwise.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 pm

aas911 wrote:Thanks for the reply Northwood. I think you brought up some really good points and an interesting perspective to the decision.

Here's a little more info that might be helpful....

I've been leaning Chi-Kent for a while because I like the idea of keeping the debt burden low. More info about the scholly: The scholarship is guaranteed for the first year and tiered in a way that at worst I incur 150k in debt (bottom 50% after first year), incur 130k in debt (top 50% to top 25%) or 100k (top 25%)

I have family in all three cities but I am much closer to my family here in California and do have some ties that could potentially lead to landing internships/jobs in the area.

My cousin who lives in North East Philadelphia and works near Temple recently had a friend get shot and killed because this person wanted his motorcycle. He's so shook up he told me not to come. Can anyone comment on the area surrounding Temple? I've done my research and visited and didn't think it was all that bad. But other people have said otherwise.

Just finished 1L at temple, PM if you have any questions.

aas911

Postby aas911 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:04 pm

I need to make my decision in the next few days and the poll is even.... :lol:

I wish this was easier

Return to “Choosing a Law School”