Is Cornell worth sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is Cornell worth sticker?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 42

Mr. December

New

Is Cornell worth sticker?

Post by Mr. December » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm

For D.C. big gov or public interest
Last edited by Mr. December on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scammedhard

Silver

Re: Is Cornell worth sticker?

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Mr. December wrote:For D.C. big gov or public interest
No.

And start a poll.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:31 pm

For PI sticker isn't that relevant since you are likely going to be using IBR/LRAP anyways.

Rock-N-Roll

Bronze

Post by Rock-N-Roll » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Mr. December wrote:For D.C. big gov or public interest
So is your question then really can I get one of the above quoted positions as a Cornell graduate? I think the answer to that is clearly - yes. Although somewhat maligned on TLS, Cornell is a strong school with generally good job placement for those who distinguish themselves there.

On the other hand, if your question is should I pay $200,000+ for Cornell or any other law school, then who can really say for sure based on what we know?

Appraising pure value or worth is hard, because law schools seem to set their tuition based heavily on what they believe we're willing to pay rather than some kind of real world assessment of the true market value of a legal degree or the amount of hardship a typical graduate must take-on to pay back loans. A T3, for example, recently justified their tuition increase ITE by saying essentially that they were undercharging their students relative to what students were paying at other schools (see ATL article).

In terms of financial risk assessment, well, even if you go to HYS, the high-paying/high-prestige jobs are by no means a sure thing. And while scholarships at some schools can definitely hedge your financial risk, even with a scholarship you still have to put up three years of your time and three years of potential earnings. So pretty much across the board law school is risky.

What I'm getting at is: Congratulations for your acceptance to Cornell, and to me at least it seems that law school is regrettably an overpriced and risky endeavor for just about everyone in your/our shoes and it is a tough choice. Good luck in your decision though!

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm

I would think that generally Cornell would be worth sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:For PI sticker isn't that relevant since you are likely going to be using IBR/LRAP anyways.
+1
Though, I wouldn't pay sticker for biglaw.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:Although somewhat maligned on TLS, Cornell is a strong school with generally good job placement for those who distinguish themselves there.
Wut.

TLS has been fellating Cornell ever since the latest NLJ250 came out.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:55 pm

This exact same thread (or very similar) was just created about three weeks ago.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=155358

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”