Help: Cornell or IU-B

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell or IU-B?

Cornell (sticker)
38%
IU-B (full scholarship)
62%

Total votes: 77

Noval

Re: Help: Cornell or IU-B

Postby Noval » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 pm

pacers3177 wrote:
Noval wrote:
Then this suits you more than anything else, congratulations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M98x-FLp7E

How long have you been waiting to pull that one out of your ass?

Long enough to piss your TTT ass off.

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:07 am

Noval wrote:
pacers3177 wrote:
Noval wrote:

You seem like a very angry, pessimistic individual. Lighten up and have a beer....

Of course in comparison to Cornell and other schools in the t50 IUB does not match up well. I would personally go to Cornell if this was my thread, but its not. Everyone has different career objectives and certain locations are better suited for certain individuals, including those working the "shitlaw jobs in the middle of nowhere for the rest of their desperate lives." I realize this is TLS but the biglaw or bust mentality is ridiculous. If IU was ranked 72 instead of 23 people would be calling it a steal for its ranking. No debt and a good school is a steal if you want to work in the area. I get that in comparison to Cornell IUB is not as glamorous, and OP, it will not give you nearly as many options as Cornell, but looking at IUB as its own, it is a damn fine law school and a free education from there is nothing to pass up lightly. And believe it or not, it does place in the state of Indiana, and much better so if half of your class is leaving.

Noval, I would just like to congratulate you. Judging from your pompous bullheaded remarks about the middle of nowhere I'm assuming you got into a very good brand name law school and you're vibing right now. That acceptance gave you free reign to talk down to those who are considering lower ranked schools. It also became your golden ticket to automatically having a successful career, a hot wife, a nice car, and a coronary at the age of 41. But at the end of the day you're still a 0L whose shit is going to get pushed in this fall like the rest of us, so quit acting like you've accomplished anything more than get a luxurious party invitation in the mail.

And no I will not be attending a TTT in the fall.

Noval

Postby Noval » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:10 am

pacers3177 wrote:
Noval wrote:
pacers3177 wrote:
Noval wrote:

You seem like a very angry, pessimistic individual. Lighten up and have a beer....

Of course in comparison to Cornell and other schools in the t50 IUB does not match up well. I would personally go to Cornell if this was my thread, but its not. Everyone has different career objectives and certain locations are better suited for certain individuals, including those working the "shitlaw jobs in the middle of nowhere for the rest of their desperate lives." I realize this is TLS but the biglaw or bust mentality is ridiculous. If IU was ranked 72 instead of 23 people would be calling it a steal for its ranking. No debt and a good school is a steal if you want to work in the area. I get that in comparison to Cornell IUB is not as glamorous, and OP, it will not give you nearly as many options as Cornell, but looking at IUB as its own, it is a damn fine law school and a free education from there is nothing to pass up lightly. And believe it or not, it does place in the state of Indiana, and much better so if half of your class is leaving.

Noval, I would just like to congratulate you. Judging from your pompous bullheaded remarks about the middle of nowhere I'm assuming you got into a very good brand name law school and you're vibing right now. That acceptance gave you free reign to talk down to those who are considering lower ranked schools. It also became your golden ticket to automatically having a successful career, a hot wife, a nice car, and a coronary at the age of 41. But at the end of the day you're still a 0L whose shit is going to get pushed in this fall like the rest of us, so quit acting like you've accomplished anything more than get a luxurious party invitation in the mail.

And no I will not be attending a TTT in the fall.

No i'm not angry, i just like to troll the shit out of you so you can come out with wall of texts which i won't even read a fraction of.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:16 am

When an argument results in someone pulling out a video before reaching the second page, I'm going to go ahead and say that person isn't winning.

I'd say IU-B, especially given your desire to practice in the midwest. Zero debt is phenomenal, although I would think there would be some better offers out there for you.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:52 am

If you don't mind the midwest - maybe even if you do - the choice is fairly simple. 220K debt v 50-60 K (living expense debt) is a no brainer - even with big law, 220K is deadly. The key is, especially ITE, even at Cornell you'd have to do well - if you can do well at Cornell, likely you can do very well at IU-B, so after a year can transfer to a school higher ranked than Cornell that might be wort a bit of debt, and with one year already free - or could stay at IUB and have a good pick of jobs there. And if you just do OK or not so well, you are not in a big hole, as opposed to not doing well at Cornell and being f'd.

I'm big on going for the prestige school, but not with that much of a $$$ difference, especially with it only being Cornell, and ITE

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah

1. IUB would not be a steal ranked at 73. Arguably, that would be more appropriate than 23.
2. Cornell is hard to justify at $220K, but IUB is hard to justify at free.
3. OP - do you not have any half rides at schools either ranked between the two or ranked below IUB?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

Devila_C wrote:Cornell offers a much better network for getting any type of job after you graduate. Sure you will be in debt, but many ppl that go to Cornell take on loans and the school's LRAP will help, assuming you don't go into big law. You should look at the hard facts (Cornell's LRAP, job placement v. IU-B), instead of asking strangers on TLS who have no clue just like you.

If you're thinking of a clerkship, a Cornell JD on your resume will certainly be weightier. Unfortunately the legal profession is all about the name and the network you build through your law school.

But remember, you still have to do well at Cornell, versus at IU-B you may have to be at the top of your class to get whatever job at graduation.

Has is occurred to you that some of us have looked at the facts, you ignoramus?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:35 am

rad law wrote:Has is occurred to you that some of us have looked at the facts, you ignoramus?

I think that a lot of animosity from these Cornell lovers arises from their beloved school losing poll after poll in TLS.

Most the pro-Cornell arguments are missing the main point: it's not Cornell v. IU-B, but rather Cornell (sticker) v. IU-B (full scholarship). The net COA difference is probably in the order of 150K. I don't think Cornell is worth that much. On top of that, the OP "would not mind living in the midwest after graduation or for the rest of my life," and he/she is also "risk averse" and "concerned by the amount of debt Cornell would require." Therefore, I vote for IU-B (full scholarship).

OP: that's a very sweet deal; congrats!

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Kind of sucks that you don't have anything in between like Texas/UCLA/Vandy/USC/WUSTL :(

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 am

Haha, you guys are so utterly clueless.

cornell or IUB

Postby cornell or IUB » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 am

Sorry, have not been around for a few days.

I'm not sure why my cycle turned out like it did. I was waitlisted everywhere between the top 20 schools and Cornell being the highest waitlist I got on and the highest school I was accepted to.

I had no half scholarships or anything similar between IU-B and Cornell. However, (I'm a recent college grad), I looked into this more and it turns out I have more money available after graduation than thought. Thank god for having great parents who saved for college, and due to scholarship, are willing to give me the remainder of the savings for law school.

Still, this puts IU-B as close to free and Cornell as damn expensive.

Finally, I should have clarified. I like the Midwest, but I like it as much as the East Coast. I'm truly indifferent as to where I lived for the long term. Also, I am wary that Midwestern employers may not be open to me as I'm not from the region.

Also, I guess I had never thought of biglaw because I never expected to get it (I would not expect it from IU-B). Could I do biglaw? I think so, but how can you truly know without doing? I've talked to people in it and understand what biglaw requires, so I guess I have some information. I guess my biggest worry about Cornell is NOT getting biglaw or getting let go before being able to repay my debt.

Thanks for all the info and please give me whatever else you want.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:19 pm

cornell or IUB wrote:Sorry, have not been around for a few days.

I'm not sure why my cycle turned out like it did. I was waitlisted everywhere between the top 20 schools and Cornell being the highest waitlist I got on and the highest school I was accepted to.

I had no half scholarships or anything similar between IU-B and Cornell. However, (I'm a recent college grad), I looked into this more and it turns out I have more money available after graduation than thought. Thank god for having great parents who saved for college, and due to scholarship, are willing to give me the remainder of the savings for law school.

Still, this puts IU-B as close to free and Cornell as damn expensive.

Finally, I should have clarified. I like the Midwest, but I like it as much as the East Coast. I'm truly indifferent as to where I lived for the long term. Also, I am wary that Midwestern employers may not be open to me as I'm not from the region.

Also, I guess I had never thought of biglaw because I never expected to get it (I would not expect it from IU-B). Could I do biglaw? I think so, but how can you truly know without doing? I've talked to people in it and understand what biglaw requires, so I guess I have some information. I guess my biggest worry about Cornell is NOT getting biglaw or getting let go before being able to repay my debt.

Thanks for all the info and please give me whatever else you want.

I don't know, it just seems like people who don't know what they want to do shouldn't put themselves in a situation where they have to do something. If you go to Cornell, you will have to go the Biglaw route.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm

OP: Did you get at least a half scholarship to anything else in the T50?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Unless you have a real desire to LIVE IN INDIANA DURING law school, Cornell for the love of God.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 pm

I love Cornell, in fact I'm still waiting out the waitlist there. But I could never go there at sticker. Even though you have some savings, do you really want to spend all of that and still take out around $200k of loans for Cornell?

You mentioned liking the Midwest. Do you like Indiana specifically? Did you visit Bloomington and like it?

How do you feel about a third option? You could wait a year and work, then reapply -- and possibly to more schools including those ranked lower than IU-B but that are still strong in their region (presumably a region where you'd want to work).

Good luck with your decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”