vandy with $ vs. cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Emma1

Re: vandy with $ vs. cornell

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Dany wrote:
Emma1 wrote:I actually agree with most of what you said but you should disclose that you are trying to get into Cornell. Are you rich?

Why would he need to when you're here to disclose it for him? :roll:

He should have disclosed that in his post. Your post makes no sense :roll:

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Emma1 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Emma1 wrote:I actually agree with most of what you said but you should disclose that you are trying to get into Cornell. Are you rich?

No. I could have disclosed that in my post, but it would have been totally irrelevant to the advice I was sharing about running away from a 400,000 bill to a law school. I'll also translate Dany's post for you: you were rude.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 pm

I had the exact same deal and picked Vandy. I really liked the feel of Vandy's campus and Nashville. Plus I could not stomach paying sticker at Cornell.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
Dany wrote:

No. I could have disclosed that in my post, but it would have been totally irrelevant to the advice I was sharing about running away from a 400,000 bill to a law school. I'll also translate Dany's post for you: you were rude.

I was not rude. She has a right to know that you are on the waitlist for Cornell since you are giving her advise to not pick this school which is a bit of a conflict of interest. People are called out on a regular basis for doing this .

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Emma1 wrote:
I was not rude. She has a right to know that you are on the waitlist for Cornell since you are giving her advise to not pick this school which is a bit of a conflict of interest. People are called out on a regular basis for doing this .

I'll be sure to fully disclose all potential biases before posting next time. I wasn't aware people are called out on that all the time.

I didn't even think about it.

I only said something because you, a third party, are assuming that because a conflict of interest might exist, then it does exist. You also asked me if I was rich and I thought that was inappropriate. Your later assumption that it is ok to call me out on this because other people call others out on this is questionable to me, as well. At any rate, I'm sorry.

I wish the OP luck.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Emma1 wrote:

That's a bitch move.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 pm

I don't think the French bar is worth any money, period. Take the money at Vanderbilt.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Unless you are rich, don't go to Cornell.

This was your quote not mine. I was just wondering if you planned on following your own advice.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Emma1 wrote:

This was your quote not mine. I was just wondering if you planned on following your own advice.

Apology accepted.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
Emma1 wrote:

Apology accepted.

Haha but on a serious note, I don't mean that you have to be rich in order to go to Cornell. I meant that advice to only be taken by the OP. As I said, I am in a nice situation where I could afford that school, but many people take huge loans at Cornell and it is the best decision they have ever made. My advice to the OP was " go to/ consider Cornell if you are rich, but if not I think you should go to Vandy." Again, it was specific advice and it was only meant for OP.

I really like Cornell FWIW.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Vandy seems like a good bet here. Would you be ok with working in Nashville or Atlanta if you didn't get NYC or DC?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Ikki wrote:
Emma1 wrote:

That's a bitch move.

+1

Also, I would choose Vandy. GL.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:25 am

People just need to disclose if they have a conflict of interest or the appearance of a conflict of interest. I thought his advise was sound until I realized he was trying to get off the waitlist at Cornell. That's why you disclose.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

I don't see why everybody's ganging up on Emma here. It sounds like she was looking out for OP, and her concern makes perfect sense. I was actually expecting TLS to go after mrwarre85, but I guess the anti-Cornell, pro-Vandy trolling on this board is too intense.

bella07

Postby bella07 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 am

[quote="Z3RO"]I don't see why everybody's ganging up on Emma here. It sounds like she was looking out for OP, and her concern makes perfect sense.

agreed. and i appreciate both mware's and emma's advice. i'm sure they were both coming at it from a good place (all biases aside).

bella07

Postby bella07 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Vandy seems like a good bet here. Would you be ok with working in Nashville or Atlanta if you didn't get NYC or DC?

i never say never but i don't have any desire to practice in either of those markets. the ONLY reason i would is if there was nothing else or a sig other was practicing there. but i'd probs be happy practicing in chicago, ca, or some parts of texas too.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:38 am

I would take Vandy here. Cornell debt = a tough pill to swallow.

P.S. - You should check out some of the other threads re: Cornell's most recent biglaw numbers (it's a pretty huge dropoff).

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:48 am

mrwarre85 wrote: I was sharing about running away from a 400,000 bill to a law school.

Theres is no way Cornell will cost 400,000, or even anywhere close to 300,000 if you dont do the Paris program and live like a king. If you live carefully, get a roommate, save money when possible, and maybe even get a good SA position during the summer (which is not guaranteed of course) (also paid PI 1L summer jobs are all but guaranteed through Cornell's PI program, Cornell pays 5k I believe) could leave you with 150k-170k or so even paying full sticker. Still a ton but only maybe 70kish more than Vandy. That is a lot though, true.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am

Law Sauce wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote: I was sharing about running away from a 400,000 bill to a law school.

Theres is no way Cornell will cost 400,000, or even anywhere close to 300,000 if you dont do the Paris program and live like a king. If you live carefully, get a roommate, save money when possible, and maybe even get a good SA position during the summer (which is not guaranteed of course) (also paid PI 1L summer jobs are all but guaranteed through Cornell's PI program, Cornell pays 5k I believe) could leave you with 150k-170k or so even paying full sticker. Still a ton but only maybe 70kish more than Vandy. That is a lot though, true.

I was factoring in interest and the Paris program. Yeah I recommend your advice if she goes to Cornell.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Vandy seems like a good bet here. Would you be ok with working in Nashville or Atlanta if you didn't get NYC or DC?

Vandy has a much larger reach than Nashville and Atlanta. I also heard that it is very difficult to get a job in Nashville even coming from Vanderbilt unless you are from Tennessee. Dont know if this is true or not but that is what has been posted on TLS many times. I think Vandy and Cornell are both great schools and it is a very difficult decision to make so you have to look at your own personal factors. I dont see why OP couldnt get a job in New York or DC from Vandy. However if you are mainly looking for Big Law in NYC than Cornell would probably put you in a better positon but you have to be able to stomach the debt.

drylo

Postby drylo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Emma1 wrote:

Vandy has a much larger reach than Nashville and Atlanta. I also heard that it is very difficult to get a job in Nashville even coming from Vanderbilt unless you are from Tennessee. Dont know if this is true or not but that is what has been posted on TLS many times. I think Vandy and Cornell are both great schools and it is a very difficult decision to make so you have to look at your own personal factors. I dont see why OP couldnt get a job in New York or DC from Vandy. However if you are mainly looking for Big Law in NYC than Cornell would probably put you in a better positon but you have to be able to stomach the debt.

I would say it's probably easier to get a good NYC job from Vandy than to get a top job in Nashville--definitely true if you aren't from Tennessee.

Personally, I would go to Vandy if I were the OP (probably not surprising). I just can't imagine paying for Cornell. It is significantly more expensive, especially with basically a half-tuition scholarship at Vandy. As somebody else posted, that makes Cornell $28k more expensive per year, just in tuition. Without even considering any COL differences (and Nashville is cheaper than Vandy's student budget, relative to other places), that is $84k + interest.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Z3RO wrote:I don't see why everybody's ganging up on Emma here. It sounds like she was looking out for OP, and her concern makes perfect sense. I was actually expecting TLS to go after mrwarre85, but I guess the anti-Cornell, pro-Vandy trolling on this board is too intense.

I don't see any anti-Cornell trolling going on. mrwarre85's advice was actually pretty good, I'm matriculating at Cornell and I would advice the OP that he shouldn't pay sticker at a lower T-14. Just to reiterate, Emma calling out mrwarre was unnecessary.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 pm

It was very necessary, thank you!

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Emma1 wrote:It was very necessary, thank you!

Where's the passive-aggressive smiley?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 pm

You will think of me when you take your ethics class and learn all about disclosure of conflicts of interest!

:) Just for you!
Last edited by Emma1 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”