Am I making the right decision???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
akak179

Am I making the right decision???

Postby akak179 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Ok, so I realize that I have probably been TLS brainwashed somewhat, and that many people would be ecstatic to be the in position that I am now. With that said, I want to gauge some opinions on what I should do.

I want to work in either NYC, Philadelphia, or the vicinity between the two cities (Eastern PA, Jersey, Wilmington DE area).

I have NO T-25 acceptances, and the schools in the T-40 that I have been accepted to, while having decent employment prospects, are not likely to put me in the geographic region of my preference.

My plan now is to attend Villanova on a full tuition scholarship. I have decent legal connections in the greater Philadelphia area, and while I realize that law school is no cake walk, I do have faith in my ability to do well.

Is attending a school like 'Nova, even with a full scholly, still a terrible idea? Or am I putting myself in a position where I can succeed?

A year ago if someone had told me this would be my situation I would have been walking on the clouds, now...I am not so sure.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

ThomasMN

Re: Am I making the right decision???

Postby ThomasMN » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Depending on the stipulations of your full-ride and what your degree is in it probably isn't a terrible decision. What would be a terrible decision is if you were going into $100k worth of debt for a degree from Villanova. What I will say is don't expect to get into big-law, which is not a terrible proposition. It all depends on if you are getting into law for the "money" or for something else.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:50 pm

IF you are happy with working in philly- then go to nova, but know that you may not leave philly. Temple would be a good bet as well, but its hard to pass up a full scholly. what are the stips to keep it? If you have no stipulations, then its a fine choice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Assuming you have weak or no stipulations on your scholarship, that you want to work in the area that Villanova places in, and that you want to be a lawyer, I think Villanova on a full ride is a good deal. Their % employed in full time lawyer jobs isn't atrocious (it's around 60% like most half-decent T2's and lower T1's) which is the one thing to be wary about even if you have satisfied all the above requirements.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:51 pm

ThomasMN wrote:Depending on the stipulations of your full-ride and what your degree is in it probably isn't a terrible decision. What would be a terrible decision is if you were going into $100k worth of debt for a degree from Villanova. What I will say is don't expect to get into big-law, which is not a terrible proposition. It all depends on if you are getting into law for the "money" or for something else.

Wait, does the scholly include a cost of living stipend? I doubt that it does, so there's still probably gonna be 50-100k debt.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:56 pm

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you bomb your first year you can always drop out.

akak179

Postby akak179 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:13 pm

My debt would be around 50k all together, probably a little less.

Temple would be around 40-50k more expensive for essesntially the same job prospects, and I would have to be in North Philly everyday, which would just be depressing.

I realize that BigLaw is not likely coming from Villanova, they do place well above what their ranking might suggest however (while still being a small percentage). I am sure that if given the opportunity, I would have to consider Biglaw, but I am not a biglaw or bust type person.

My stipulation is around top 50%. To be frank, and perhaps this arrogant of me, I am not overly concerned with this.

Thank you all for your comments, any more thoughts are appreciated.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 pm

If i were in your shoes id take the money. Was just wondering if temple offered you a similar option- but since its more, than I think you are making the right choice.

Just be sure philly is where you will be happy after law school. While you may be able to get to somewhere else, chances are you will be practicing in philly.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 pm

akak179 wrote:My debt would be around 50k all together, probably a little less.

Temple would be around 40-50k more expensive for essesntially the same job prospects, and I would have to be in North Philly everyday, which would just be depressing.

I realize that BigLaw is not likely coming from Villanova, they do place well above what their ranking might suggest however (while still being a small percentage). I am sure that if given the opportunity, I would have to consider Biglaw, but I am not a biglaw or bust type person.

My stipulation is around top 50%. To be frank, and perhaps this arrogant of me, I am not overly concerned with this.

Thank you all for your comments, any more thoughts are appreciated.

I think this is a fine decision if you are fine with staying in Philly. You should assume that there is a 50/50 chance that you will lose your scholarship. Being in the top 50% is not nearly as easy as it sounds. I know many people here at Tulane who lost their scholarship. I kept mine, but it was nothing more than pure luck that I did.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 am

Wait, does the scholly include a cost of living stipend? I doubt that it does, so there's still probably gonna be 50-100k debt.

No school is going to give you 33k a year for living expenses. OP couldn't take out 100k if they wanted to.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 am

sounds like the right call

Return to “Choosing a Law School”