PLEASE HELP QUICKLY: Nova Southeastern or Florida Coastal??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
donlocke

PLEASE HELP QUICKLY: Nova Southeastern or Florida Coastal??

Postby donlocke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 am

Hello all, long time reader here but today I really need some help ASAP:

Until today I was all set on going to Nova Southeastern University. It wasn't my top choice but I didn't get in anywhere else. I had my seat deposit down and found a really nice place to live near campus. (Expensive like everything else in ft lauderdale)

The two schools initially cost about the same, but today I got a notice from the Florida Coastal School of Law for a $15,000 scholarship.

Now I'm totally screwed. I have no idea what to do. FCSL suddenly became a lot cheaper. I have reservations about a for-profit school founded by an investment company. My ultimate goal would be to transfer to FSU or another school after a year but I imagine a lot of others have the same idea.

Between the two which one should I chose and why?
Thanks!

Edited to add: Please save your "retake the lsat" "don't go to either one of these schools" comments. One of these schools is happening. Please just help me make this difficult decision.
Last edited by donlocke on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NYC Law

Re: PLEASE HELP QUICKLY: Nova Southeastern or Florida Coastal??

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 am

Pics or this is a flame

donlocke

Postby donlocke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 am

NYC Law wrote:Pics or this is a flame

huh? Pics of what?? I'm new here so sorry if I'm missing something...

The other thing I want to know about is: what IF i don't transfer after a year? which would be the better choice then?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 am

Pics of your acceptance letters.

Don't go to either of these schools.

donlocke

Postby donlocke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 pm

NYC Law wrote:Pics of your acceptance letters.

Don't go to either of these schools.

What does that prove? I could easily type one up myself and post it on here. Besides the orginals have my name all over it. It would be heavily redacted if I did post it. Please don't waste my time here. I have an appointement with the apartment place tomorrow to put down a deposit.

donlocke

Postby donlocke » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 pm

donlocke wrote:Hello all, long time reader here but today I really need some help ASAP:

Until today I was all set on going to Nova Southeastern University. It wasn't my top choice but I didn't get in anywhere else. I had my seat deposit down and found a really nice place to live near campus. (Expensive like everything else in ft lauderdale)

The two schools initially cost about the same, but today I got a notice from the Florida Coastal School of Law for a $15,000 scholarship.

Now I'm totally screwed. I have no idea what to do. FCSL suddenly became a lot cheaper. I have reservations about a for-profit school founded by an investment company. My ultimate goal would be to transfer to FSU or another school after a year but I imagine a lot of others have the same idea.

Between the two which one should I chose and why? Which is the better school?
Thanks!

Edited to add: Please save your "retake the lsat" "don't go to either one of these schools" comments. One of these schools is happening. Please just help me make this difficult decision.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm

You're an idiot.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm

This might just be you trolling, but I am going to give a serious answer because thousands of other kids make the same decision every year.

donlocke wrote:Edited to add: Please save your "retake the lsat" "don't go to either one of these schools" comments. One of these schools is happening. Please just help me make this difficult decision.

These are really your only options. One of the schools you are looking at places less than half its class into full time lawyer jobs and the other won't say how many of their grads get full time lawyer jobs (source: --LinkRemoved--). You would be taking on over a hundred thousand dollars in debt to go to a school where you have, at best a 50/50 chance of being a full time lawyer. This doesn't even get into the fact that you will have a very very hard time paying off your debt with the type of salaries that grads from these schools get.

You really need to either retake the LSAT or reconsider law school. Right now, the options you have are not reasonable or financially feasible. Would you take on a bunch of debt for a car if you would have a very low chance of paying it off? Of course you wouldn't and that is why you shouldn't go to these schools.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Nova Southeastern, and it's not even close. /thread

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 pm

bk1 wrote:This might just be you trolling, but I am going to give a serious answer because thousands of other kids make the same decision every year.

donlocke wrote:Edited to add: Please save your "retake the lsat" "don't go to either one of these schools" comments. One of these schools is happening. Please just help me make this difficult decision.

These are really your only options. One of the schools you are looking at places less than half its class into full time lawyer jobs and the other won't say how many of their grads get full time lawyer jobs (source: --LinkRemoved--). You would be taking on over a hundred thousand dollars in debt to go to a school where you have, at best a 50/50 chance of being a full time lawyer. This doesn't even get into the fact that you will have a very very hard time paying off your debt with the type of salaries that grads from these schools get.

You really need to either retake the LSAT or reconsider law school. Right now, the options you have are not reasonable or financially feasible. Would you take on a bunch of debt for a car if you would have a very low chance of paying it off? Of course you wouldn't and that is why you shouldn't go to these schools.

i soo, soo agree with all of this, but at some point you just have to save your breath.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Barry.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:21 pm

donlocke wrote:Now I'm totally screwed.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
donlocke wrote:Now I'm totally screwed.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Suggestions for better ideas:

insurance salesman
CPA
Professional Engineer
flight attendant
start a study abroad company
...and I can go on.

but taking on 120k+ of undischargable debt for limited job prospects? not exactly as great life decision.
Last edited by gwuorbust on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:31 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Nova Southeastern, and it's not even close. /thread

i'd love to hear your reasoning for this one.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 pm

gwuorbust wrote:Suggestions for other good ideas:

insurance salesman
CPA
Professional Engineer
flight attendant
start a study abroad company
...and I can go on.

but taking on 120k+ of undischargable debt for limited job prospects? not exactly as great life decision.

But he HAS to go to law school this year. Come on man, he has no choice !!!!!

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:33 pm

glitter178 wrote:

going off the assumption that its a flame and was joking. If you were honestly choosing between the 2 i would take the one with the scholarship i guess? because it would at least be less money being thrown away

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
glitter178 wrote:

going off the assumption that its a flame and was joking. If you were honestly choosing between the 2 i would take the one with the scholarship i guess? because it would at least be less money being thrown away

false, there is probably a 3/4 chance (or higher!) that OP will lose his scholarship. the only good response is retake or don't go.

game5045

Postby game5045 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Forums are great. Side effects include a false sense of confidence and being an a__hole. To anyone taking a shot at donlocke, stop being a douche. And if you thought to yourself, "forget this guy, I'd make fun of him like this to his face" then I hope you shart you pants on your first day of law school because you deserve it. I hope every calls you sh_t-for-brains for the next three years and you cry when you're alone. donlocke wants to go to law school. That doesn't encumber your personal plans, so why take a dump on his? I'm sure he has given consideration to the cost of law school; his apprehension about huge loans vs. huge loans minus a scholarship were the inference... or do those high powered LSAT skills only come out when your sweaty little palms are wielding a No.2 pencil?

donlocke, I sent you a PM. Check your inbox.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

game5045 wrote:Forums are great. Side effects include a false sense of confidence and being an a__hole. To anyone taking a shot at donlocke, stop being a douche. And if you thought to yourself, "forget this guy, I'd make fun of him like this to his face" then I hope you shart you pants on your first day of law school because you deserve it. I hope every calls you sh_t-for-brains for the next three years and you cry when you're alone. donlocke wants to go to law school. That doesn't encumber your personal plans, so why take a dump on his? I'm sure he has given consideration to the cost of law school; his apprehension about huge loans vs. huge loans minus a scholarship were the inference... or do those high powered LSAT skills only come out when your sweaty little palms are wielding a No.2 pencil?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The lulzy irony of the emphasized line sent me overboard.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:25 pm

game5045 wrote:Forums are great. Side effects include a false sense of confidence and being an a__hole. To anyone taking a shot at donlocke, stop being a douche. And if you thought to yourself, "forget this guy, I'd make fun of him like this to his face" then I hope you shart you pants on your first day of law school because you deserve it. I hope every calls you sh_t-for-brains for the next three years and you cry when you're alone. donlocke wants to go to law school. That doesn't encumber your personal plans, so why take a dump on his? I'm sure he has given consideration to the cost of law school; his apprehension about huge loans vs. huge loans minus a scholarship were the inference... or do those high powered LSAT skills only come out when your sweaty little palms are wielding a No.2 pencil?

This is, quite literally, one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on TLS. And that's saying a lot.

Nobody in this thread has been a douche compared to what could be said. The honest truth it is that not attending either of these school and working in retail is a much better life choice than attending either of these schools. It is delusional to think otherwise. There is no reason that OP MUST GO RIGHT NOW ZOMGH!!!!!!. There never is. If OP retook and reapplied he could get into a legit FL school. Even FIU is on a different field (plus in state tuition for the win). I'm sure you are a troll considering that you only have one post. But to any lurkers out there, do not believe this shit. Either school would be a terrible, terrible choice.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

This is, quite literally, one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on TLS.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:30 pm

GTFO

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:33 pm

paratactical wrote:Barry.

Someone get a mod to merge this thread with this one: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123722

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:35 pm

paratactical wrote:Barry.

hahah I thought this might show up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”