2011 Reflect on your cycle thread

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sanetruth

Re: 2011 Reflect on your cycle thread

Postby sanetruth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:04 am

SG09 wrote:After that, I switched my Virginia application to ED and got in the next day.

When did you do this? Based on looking at LSN, it seems there was an invisible wall in mid-December whereupon switching apps to ED didn't give any advantage in acceptance. Was yours before this?

SG09

Postby SG09 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

Last edited by SG09 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 am

SG09 wrote:I applied late December, switched to ED late February. Got my acceptance phone call maybe 14 hours after I faxed the ED form in.

That's great to hear.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ahduth

173/3.8 - non-traditional applicant.

What were your expectations going in?
I was pretty hubristic and figured I'd get something within CCN.

How did things turned out?
Textbook LSN/LSP outcome. Rejected at H and S, in at CLS and NYU, waitlisted there on down. The only wild card was Berkeley, and I got in just because I really ravaged the 4 page PS.

How did you make your decision?
I dinged UCLA, because I was worried about the California legal market and job prospects outside Cali. Turning down Berkeley was hard, I'd probably rather be in Nor Cal, but with the legal market such as it is... I felt the T6 schools were safer.

CLS and NYU offered me equal money. Talking with the administration at both schools, I got the a much more positive vibe from NYU regarding how the career services stuff works. As a non-traditional, there's all sorts of weird variables that go into where I can/want to work. People I talked with at CLS were kind of like, "oh the Columbia name will open doors." At NYU both the OCS people and people within the Law and Business program engaged me pretty directly about what my objectives were, and they were clear that I would need to manage my OCI selection process carefully. More broadly, the Law and Business program at NYU struck me as more developed and interesting - given that I don't want to completely leave my accounting background behind, that resonated positively.

So all of that and I think this fringe-hipster lifestyle I've been living in Chicago would make the transition to Columbia pretty painful.

What did you feel you did right?
Got solid recs lined up way in advance.

What would you do differently?
I would have applied to more schools. I may have left money on the table by not applying to Michigan, Penn, etc. and not filling out scholarship stuff for schools like Duke, Cornell, Vandy, etc. which may have been useful for leverage. I was basically too lazy to write the extra essays.

lol, I was using Dany's as a template, and this is almost EXACTLY what I was going to say. I really, really should've applied to Penn - people with my numbers got money. I failed to submit scholarship documentation for Duke in particular, which might have gotten me money.

I really should've applied to Northwestern, who I think gave out 150k to some people with my numbers. And I should not have withdrawn from the Chicago waitlist, as some people with my index got off the waitlist with more money than I got out of CLS/NYU.

Beyond that, I wouldn't have stressed about the personal statement nearly as much - as long as it's not complete garbage you're fine. And if you're coming up with something so breath-taking that it will actually make a difference, you're not stressing over it to begin with.

General tips from your experience?
Similar stuff to Dany. Early = Thanksgiving, except Harvard I think may want stuff particularly early.

Get your recs in line. I was fortunate to have two people who basically jumped at the chance to write me a rec, but whatever your situation, don't have that be the item delaying your application.

Apply everywhere, even places you'd never go. The whole scholarship bonanza is a lot more fun if you can bring weapons to the game.

If you have a question, call the admissions office. Don't be a jerk - they have caller ID. But they're there to answer questions about the application process, and are broadly very nice and very helpful.

Take everything you hear on TLS with a grain of salt. If opinions are like assholes in that everyone has one, the internet is where the assholes themselves seem to have the loudest opinions. Do your own research, and you'll be much better informed about what your 200,000 dollars is buying you.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm

this thread is turning out nicely thank you :D

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:32 pm

OK, how about the Tier 2 version of this?

Weak splitter: 158/165 /2.91 (lsdas 2.84). Sixteen years of solid work experience.

I wasn't willing to leave the Northeast, so that limited my choices a bit.

I applied to 13 schools.
Denied: Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, BC, BU (no surprises - giant reaches)
Waitlisted: Fordham (still on the WL), Cardozo (surprised. I withdrew)
Accepted at: Brooklyn Law (no $), Northeastern (no $), CUNY (no $, but cheap tuition),
St. John's ($30K/yr), Seton Hall ($15K/year), Rutgers ($12k/year, which works out to about half-tuition with in-state)

I thought Cardozo for sure, but possibly Fordham if they could overlook my GPA. I was thinking of CUNY because I want to go into public interest.

How did things turn out?
I'm going to Rutgers-Newark. I had originally thought of it as a safety, but that was before I visited and decided that (in my view, anyway) it was a much better school than its ranking might suggest. It felt like a good fit and is a good choice for PI, and I've been happy with my dealings with them so far.

Schools that offered no merit aid were not considered. I don't think any of the schools that admitted me were worth sticker (maybe CUNY, but I didn't like it there), and I'm looking at public interest law, which is going to pay very little. Then it came down to which school had the best prospects and which felt like a good fit when I went to visit.

I retook the LSAT. I agonized about this because it meant I couldn't apply until January, whereas my original target was by Thanksgiving at the latest. But I felt it was more important to apply with a stronger score, especially since I was under 160. I was so nervous on test day in October that I got a score far lower than I ever had in practice. I scored right where I felt I should have in December.
Also, I asked for and got my LORs in summer, when my recommenders weren't very busy.

I would have not studied to the point of neurosis for the LSAT. I was so nervous on test day in October. Up 'til test day, I carried study guides with me everywhere, made no plans to socialize, put crazy expectations on myself, etc. Ahead of December, I had a lenient but still disciplined schedule and I also made time for friends and activities so that I didn't get burned out. On test day, I focused on the task at hand, not the outcome.

1. Visit. Always visit - there were a few schools where I was on campus for no more than five minutes before I realized that I would never like going there. (St. John's and CUNY come to mind). On the other hand, some schools were better than I thought (Rutgers, BLS).
2. Don't stress about the outcome. Just prepare and do your best.
3. Don't listen to people who think everything below T14 is a TTT - which isn't to say pay sticker at a T4, but there are regional schools that can be good choices.
3. Even if you're taking the LSAT late, try to get LORs and transcripts in early so that everything's ready to go when your score appears.
4. Read TLS for advice. Yes, some posters may make you feel small sometimes if you don't go to a T1 or have a 170+ LSAT, but there's a lot of good advice and camaraderie to be found here.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:36 am

Cool idea for a thread. I'm pretty NT so I'm not sure what kind of broader lessons can be distilled from my experience, but here goes:

Stats:
LSAT: 165, 171
UGPA: 3.02

Applied to:
16 schools all over the place, from T14 to a couple down on the 50-line.

Pretty low GPA splitter with a respectable but not spectacular LSAT. I wrote an addendum about my grandfather dying right before the first LSAT and also about my UGPA being affected by my pre-med courses. Really no idea what to expect, which is why I applied to so many schools. I originally planned on just hitting the LA schools (USC, UCLA etc) but got starry-eyed and went for some reaches up the ladder in the T14. I was hoping that my grad degree and diverse experience would help mitigate the low GPA.

How did things turn out?
Waitlist hell. A couple early acceptances from GWU and money from WUSTL kept me from chewing my nails off, but after that it was 3 months of every school I had my heart set on telling me 'we like you, but not enough.' Just when I had resigned myself to moving to St. Louis, I got off the WL at Vandy, a school I had pretty much written off. Only had 2 days to decide and wound up depositing, only to hear from UCLA the next week. Waitlist musical chairs. Wound up depositing at UCLA and am planning to head there in August. Which is, ironically, what I had been hoping for in the first place. Yay.

Decided that going to the best school in the nation's 2nd biggest market was probably as good as I was likely to get. Also have ties to the area, and some personal reasons why the switch made sense. Also, it's SoCal.

-Worked really hard on writing a killer essay, including getting lots of outside help.
-After bombing the logic games on the first LSAT worked on acing them the 2nd time around.
-Applied to a decent mix of schools to make sure I had options.
-Worked my WLs with LOCIs, personal emails and phone calls.

-Possibly retaken the LSAT (despite routinely acing the RC, I hit one that completely flummoxed me on the 2nd exam)
-Apply to fewer schools that I wasn't that interested in going to (a fee waiver is not reason enough to apply)
-Apply to more schools I would have liked to go to (reeeaaacchhh)
-Apply earlier. December isn't too late, but it's late enough.
-Get LOR from my current employer (I didn't want to chance them not renewing my contract if they new I was leaving).
-Try to do more visits and ASWs (would definitely NOT recommend applying from abroad...)

-Being a few years removed from UG does help mitigate low GPA; I doubt I would have gotten into many of the schools I did right out of UG.
-BUT: Numbers still matter. Schools will be weighing how much they like your app against how much accepting you will hurt their USNWR score.
-Don't give up on your WLs.
-Admissions is a crapshoot. Ultimately, people will be deciding on your applications, and people are inherently irrational beings. You never know if someone reading your app will like it or hate it or be indifferent about it. Maximize your chances and apply to as many schools as you can afford to.
-Don't worry over wasted deposit money. A few hundred dollars is inconsequential compared to going to the school you really want for the next 3 years.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Stats:
LSAT: 171 / LSAC GPA: 3.9
Almost straight out of UG (graduated in Dec. 2010), but with strong internships and WE and very good LORs
Took October test, applied mid-November

Applied to:
T14 (except for Yale, NU, Duke, Cornell)

I was PTing very well until I started doing the most recent PTs about a month before the test. Then my scores sunk and I started to panic. I got them back up in time for the real test, and was happy with my score. I felt that I would get in to most of the lower T14, and probably at least some of the middle, but I still had a lot of freak-outs along the way (what if everyone rejects me?).

How did things turn out? AND How did you make your decision?

Accepted at NYU, Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, UVA, and GULC
WL'd at Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, and Stanford

I eliminated Michigan and Berkeley for geographic reasons, and let scholly $$ and personal preference decide most of the rest. I also negotiated with ALL of the schools on scholarship $$ (which I highly recommend--GULC and Penn both tripled their initial offers). I was almost certain that I was going to UVA in April, until Penn gave me a Levy scholarship at the end of April. Needless to say, that made the decision easier.

I ended up only visiting Penn and UVA, because I'd been to NYC before and I live in DC. I had to get off of all of my waitlists when I picked Penn, but if I could've, I probably would've stayed on WLs for Columbia and Harvard just to see how they turned out.

--Developed really good relationships with my recommenders (all 4 of which were lawyers), so that I knew their LORs would not only be good, but would be coming from someone with relevant experience
--Had people tear my PS apart. I had several people revise it over a period of months, and it ended up much better than it started out as. I also personalized it for some schools, but only if I felt I had something meaningful to say about that school. I shied away from personalizing my PS if I felt like I was just throwing the name of a journal or a program in there haphazardly.
--Wrote good LOCIs. I'm pretty certain that my LOCI to UVA (while my file was being reviewed) was the reason I got in with significant $$. Even if some of my other LOCIs didn't get me in, they at least kept me on waitlists (I wrote LOCIs for Harvard and Columbia as well).
--Negotiated scholarship $$. My Penn and GULC offers tripled after I negotiated with them. It didn't always work--NYU and UVA didn't budge from their initial offers--but there is truly nothing to lose by negotiating as long as it is done professionally and convincingly. Make sure you have real, convincing reasons why you would go to School X, and why the additional $$ is important to you. And make sure to be grateful for the money they have already given to you (or the acceptance, if they haven't given you money). Mention competing offers, and the difference between the two.

1. Had my applications sorted out earlier.
I felt like I applied early enough, but it was a bit hectic to prep for the LSAT, study for class, and get my application materials together all at the same time during September/October. Get as much of it out of the way in advance if possible.

2. Visited more law schools
I don't think I really regret only visiting two schools (it worked out fine in the end), but I wouldn't recommend it.

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. And prepare as much as possible during the summer beforehand.

Absolutely feel free to PM me if you'd like discuss any of the above--I've gotten a lot of knowledge from TLS during the past application cycle, and I'm happy to give back.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/herewegooo

170/3.4 - I had what I think were solid softs/PS/LORs, and several years of relevant work experience.

I really didn't know where I wanted to go to school, so I applied widely and hoped for the best.

Surprisingly well. As a pseudo-hipster elitist I knew I wanted T-14, and i had Georgetown, Michigan and Northwestern with a small scholarship to choose from. I was somehow waitlisted at UChi and Columbia despite being below both medians, so that was pretty cool.

I visited a lot of schools, did web research, talked to students. In the end, i decided that I didn't want to leave DC or my job and decided to go into the part time program at Georgetown.

I spent a TON of time working on applications, wrote every extra essay I could, and applied in september. I tried to connect my background in science to why i want to be an attorney and what made this the right time for me to go to law school. Having the lsat done with by the time applications went live was super fantastic. June lsat FTW.

It would have been nice to have applied with a higher gpa, but being out of school that wasn't exactly possible.

These are Dany's tips but i wholeheartedly second them:

Dany wrote:1. Send in applications early

2. GET TLS HELP ON YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT. The advice I received was invaluable, and people here turned my pretty terrible draft into a solid essay.

3. Don't be lazy and skip schools that have extra essay requirements.

4. USE LSN. It was such a huge help to me this cycle, for chances, scholarship, and timeline info. Keeping an updated profile is helpful to you to keep track of everything and to future applicants.

I'm also happy to answer any questions of future applicants :)

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Lawst wrote:OK, how about the Tier 2 version of this?

Weak splitter: 158/165 /2.91 (lsdas 2.84). Sixteen years of solid work experience.

I wasn't willing to leave the Northeast, so that limited my choices a bit.

I applied to 13 schools.
Denied: Columbia, NYU, Georgetown, BC, BU (no surprises - giant reaches)
Waitlisted: Fordham (still on the WL), Cardozo (surprised. I withdrew)
Accepted at: Brooklyn Law (no $), Northeastern (no $), CUNY (no $, but cheap tuition),
St. John's ($30K/yr), Seton Hall ($15K/year), Rutgers ($12k/year, which works out to about half-tuition with in-state)

I thought Cardozo for sure, but possibly Fordham if they could overlook my GPA. I was thinking of CUNY because I want to go into public interest.

Why did you think Cardozo was for sure? They hardly take any sub-3.0's.

(I'm not challenging you, just trying to gather facts. I'd love to go to Cardozo.)

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 am

I don't know that Cardozo was always that strict but they definitely are now. For one, I graduated in 1995 and had a whole other career in the meantime. I also wrote up a pretty good addendum on why my GPA was low. Cardozo grads were telling me that I'd probably be fine and they were surprised. None of this is airtight logic, but I had a sense that I had a good shot. However, GPAs are so key for the rankings, and Cardozo has made it to tier 1, so I guess it's working for them.

Eta: also I wouldnt say I thought it was for sure, but I was a bit surprised.

wildcat25

Postby wildcat25 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone for posting, this has all been very helpful!

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Stats:
LSAT: 160, 161, 173
UGPA: 3.81

Applied to:
18 schools all over the place, from T14 to one local TTT

Had not done any real TLS research, but thought that I had a shot at getting in everywhere I applied. I figured I would be making the decision between money at a school in the 10-30 range vs. no money at a T10.

How did things turn out?
Fairly predictably. I did get a couple of full-ride offers but to schools that were lower T30. However, I had waining interest in these institutions and a few carried stipulations. Therefore, I focused my attention on money in the T14 vs. no money in the T6.

I initially passed over NYU and UChi for money at Northwestern. I liked NW's programs and with my work experience, I thought they were a great fit. However, I was offered admissions from Harvard's waitlist, which both in fit and offerings, trumped NW.

-Took a year off to spend more time studying for the LSAT, including going through the Powerscore regimen, and did significantly better the 3rd time around.
-Applied to schools across the board. After doing some more research, I warmed up to a few to the point that they were viable options. Additionally, the money offers I received became useful for leveraging.
-Worked with university career center on resume, personal statement and general tips on the application process.
-Went to multiple ASWs to get a good feel for the law school experience (or ASW experience, anyway).
-Wrote a LOCI to Harvard based on a getting a new job relevant to my desired area of law.

-Talk to referees earlier. Main reason I did not end up applying until late December was a key reference letter.
-Check out TLS for advice before submitting applications.
-Nail the LSAT the first time instead of learning from mistakes. Taking it 3 times =/= 3 times the fun.

-Know the medians that schools are looking for.
-Be realistic but optimistic.
-LSAT score is the easiest way to work your way up the rankings.
-Research the schools.
-Once you have the scores, put the same effort into getting those references, writing a personal statement and crafting an application as you did on studying for the LSAT.
-Monitor your applications and communicate with schools, but only when you have something significant to add to your application. And make sure it fits the school's definition of significant. They are not waiting for your communications with bated breath.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:27 am

Anyone else?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 am

Great idea for a thread.

170/3.40 --> 3.49

Applied to:
Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Cornell, Vandy, UCLA, Texas, USC, WUSTL, Minnesota, Illinois, W&M, ND

With my low GPA (3.40 when I applied, bumped to a 3.49 with fall grades) and mediocre (at best) softs, I expected to ride a lot of waitlists. I thought the "sure things" were the Midwestern splitter-friendly schools: WUSTL, Illinois, Minnesota. And pretty much everything else was a question mark, though I definitely wasn't expecting any positive surprises from Virginia, UCLA, and Texas. To hedge my bets, I determined my top-choice school (Duke), and sent in an ED app.

In at W&M ($10k/year), Vandy (withdrew before scholarships came out), and, eventually, Duke ($8k/year). Waitlisted at Illinois (yikes), Minnesota (YP?), ND, and Virginia. Held for further consideration by Texas (big surprise, was expecting a WL or rejection) and Cornell. I originally applied under Duke's Round I ED, but was contacted in mid-December and told that they couldn't make a decision on my app. I was asked if I wanted to be considered under Round II (I said yes) and to submit additional materials (fall grades and a "Why Duke"). I sent in my fall grades (4.0) and Why Duke and was contacted in late January with an offer of admission. After I calmed down (and sobered up), I withdrew from everywhere else.

Prior to the beginning of the cycle, I had narrowed my top choices down to two schools: Duke and Vandy. Since I wasn't really expecting any scholarship money, I went ahead and EDed to Duke. When Duke said yes, my cycle was over.

First, I applied relatively early (Halloween). This is important, particularly for splitters. Second, I took my fall semester seriously. If I would've slacked off in school after submitting my law school apps, I'm reasonably certain that I wouldn't be attending Duke today. And third, I interviewed for Vandy. People around here are quick to dismiss the interview, but I was accepted fairly quickly while others with similar stats were WLed or even rejected. And I certainly didn't get in on the power of my softs.

Well, my cycle turned out better than I could've hoped (top-choice school with a small scholarship), so there's not really too much I would change. I guess I would take the time to write "Why X" essays for a couple schools. I was surprised that Michigan in particular was giving my app such lengthy consideration (especially when many others were getting hit with the WL), and I feel that a Why Michigan could've pushed me over the hump. The WLs from Illinois and Notre Dame might have also been accepts with "Why X" essays.

1. Apply early. (And take the June LSAT).
2. If you're a splitter aiming for a top school, the best thing you can do is to ED.
3. If you're still in college, CONTINUE TO TAKE YOUR CLASSES SERIOUSLY. You never know when a school is going to ask for your updated transcript.
4. If a school gives you the option to interview or write an additional essay, do it.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:38 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/piccolittle

175/Above Average (foreign GPA) - great work experience (only six months, but prestigious and law-related), unique soft

As an American who went to university abroad, I didn't have a GPA but had an evaluation from LSAC. I assumed that even though LSAC rated me as 'Above Average', the schools would look at my actual grades and draw their own conclusions. I had applied for an LLM at a few schools last cycle, and was rejected everywhere I applied except a bottom T30, so I knew I would have an uphill battle in terms of my grades (they were not good, seriously). Going in, Columbia was my secret dream school, but I thought a more realistic approach would be to apply ED to Virginia as a desperate attempt to crack the T10 (plus I really, really liked the school). My advisor pretty much told me I would have a hard time being admitted to either school, so I should ED to the one that I would kick myself for not attending if I could have. Columbia won.

How did things turn out?
I applied to Cornell, UCLA, Berkeley, Chicago, Virginia, NYU, Harvard, and Columbia. After taking the October LSAT, I got my apps in right on the ED deadline for Columbia and just in time to miss out on Harvard's first admit wave. I was counting on UCLA to be my barometer school - if I got in, I knew I was on the right track; if I was rejected, I could start preparing myself for the others. The first decision I actually received was Columbia, exactly a month after I applied. IN!!

I was ED, so it was pretty much made for me. I was completely shocked by the acceptance, but being more involved on TLS made me see how it had been possible. I withdrew all my other apps without receiving any other decisions and it was on.

I knew my grades were going to be a problem, and in a related concern, had a feeling my recs wouldn't be particularly compelling. To mitigate the damage, I studied my butt off for the LSAT. Seriously, I took a few months and just drilled, every day. I got all the PS bibles and the proctor simulation DVD, and did loads of PTs. I got professional help with my essay and had a great job while I was applying.

I wish I hadn't had to pee in the middle of the LSAT (seriously, that made me miss 5 questions in one section)! That and...

I would not have applied ED. From what I saw, the people who got into Columbia ED had stats that would have gotten them in RD, and the people who were deferred ED into the regular pool were generally people who were then rejected or WL. I thought applying ED would give me the boost that I needed to possibly get in, but I find myself wondering what would have happened if I had ridden out the cycle everywhere. I know I really had no chance at Harvard or money anywhere, and CLS was my dream school, but I just can't help but wonder...

Also, I would have applied to Yale. I love the school and I wish I hadn't been too lazy to write a 250. Of course, I never would have gotten in, but a rejection would have given me a little satisfaction and closure, knowing that Columbia was the best I could do. TLS turned me into an insufferable snob ;)

What everyone said above, but most importantly DON'T BE LAZY. This goes for the LSAT and all of your apps. Study until you are doing perfect Logic Games sections regularly. Know that you put in 100% of your effort and talents, and (after realistically assessing your chances, of course) apply to your dream schools as well as your normal list. You never know what could happen... :mrgreen: Good luck to everyone!

wolfpack37

Postby wolfpack37 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:57 am

tag

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks to those who've contributed. I know I'll be checking this thread frequently come October.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Puttanesca on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Two years ago, but I can contribute:

LSDAS GPA: 3.66
LSAT: 161, 168

Applied: MVP down to 50s

Expectations going in: I retook the LSAT in December with applications pending, so I didn't have much time for this- but I kinda figured 15-30 range. Was hoping to grab the bottom end of the T14, but it probably wouldn't have been worth it.

How it turned out: Pretty much how I expected,with some exceptions. Rejected MVP and Duke, WL Cornell/GULC, in most every place below that. BC rejection was a surprise, but not so much WUSTL and IU WL with late applications.

How did you make your decision?: Basically came down to a bunch of T30s with money.

NDLS- 20K/yr
UIUC- 30K/yr
Fordham- 15K/yr
W&L- 34K/yr

I eliminated GW at sticker because I really had not much desire to go to DC and GW isn't worth sticker. I eliminated W&L because it mostly feeds into DC if it feeds into any major market at all, and the NLJ numbers were dim. Next I eliminated Fordham because of the COL. When it came down to UIUC and NDLS, I chose NDLS mostly because I love Notre Dame and I didn't think 10K a year was enough to choose Illinois. I probably would have taken NDLS over Cornell or GULC sticker had I been admitted.

What did you do right?: Nothing much different than the previous posters. RETAKE, because I would be super f***ed with 3.66/161.

What would you do differently?: I would have taken a year off to retake in June and apply on the first day in September. It still turned out fine (I really doubt my ability to break 170 but it would have been worth a shot), but I'm all about retaking. I think my late applications hurt me at some places (particularly Cornell, where my numbers gave me a decent chance).

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 am

Robespierre wrote:This thread is a big help to those of us gearing up for the 2011-12 cycle. Please keep it coming.

+1

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:39 pm

SG09 wrote:I applied late December, switched to ED late February. Got my acceptance phone call maybe 14 hours after I faxed the ED form in.

Wish I had known about this. Would have done the same!

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:04 am

177/3.5 - http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Entchen

I wanted to go to Michigan - in fact, I considered EDing, but I wanted to be able to compare scholarships at different schools. I thought I'd be in the running for the 67.5k at Mich, but there was part of me that was terrified I wouldn't get in. Aside from it needing to be a good school, I really wanted a place with a sense of community, with lots of people living on campus rather than just showing up for class then going their separate ways, a college town environment, and a wintery winter (my second choice was Cornell).

I think I had the perfect cycle. I'm going to my first choice school for free.

Michigan was my first choice, and they gave me significantly more money than anyone else, so it was a fairly easy decision. I also LOVED my ASW visit to Michigan (I went to two others and did not have the same feeling at either). I did actually have a couple of concerns, though - I got into CLS, which is both higher ranked and much closer to my family, but I really dislike New York, and don't want to live there either during or after law school, and they gave me no money. I was a little nervous about Michigan's ability to get me back to New England, which is where I hope to live long term, but the only New England school I even applied to, BC, couldn't compete with the money and rank at Michigan. Hopefully this turns out not to have been a terrible idea...

I wrote what I think was a pretty convincing Why Michigan statement, in which I basically flat out said I didn't like it for the academics - that there are a lot of good law schools, but the other factors were what made Michigan my first choice.

Since I ended up getting the result I wanted, I suppose I could just say nothing and leave it at that, but there probably were a few things I could have done to improve my overall record. Aside from working harder in undergrad so I didn't have a solidly mediocre gpa, I also would have moved the ONE MILE from where I lived in DC to northern VA to be in state at UVA (I ended up being waitlisted), and written the Dean's Scholarship essay for Cornell (I found out about Mich $$ before that essay was due, so I didn't bother to write it).

If you have a first choice school, tell them, and be sincere as to why. Don't write off the importance of fit. I'll echo what other people have said about getting people to look at your essays, but add that if you don't agree with a recommended change, don't feel like you have to make it. Also, apply early, and don't ED unless you are sure that a school is your first choice AND you're a borderline applicant. I probably would have gotten some, but not as much, money if I'd gone through with applying ED.

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 am

166/3.81 - average softs, right out of ug, unique PS/LORs- http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lawgrl21
Last edited by lawgrl21 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

3.5, 158, URM
Before the LSAT, I expected it to be as simple and carefree as applying to undergrad. I was practice testing in the 170s each time. Test anxiety? Idk. After, I expected to work at the place I was interning. I applied to Chicago, NYU, Cornell, BU, UGA, Ga State, UHouston, USC, Alabama, Indiana, Miami, Loyola LA, GMU, Cardozo, Vanderbilt, and some other places I can't remember. Also I retook the LSAT in Dec. I ended up spending 750+ on apps.

How did things turn out?

The exact opposite, but with a happy ending. I was waitlisted at Chicago, which gave me hope! I didn't write a LOCI because I really want to study abroad again. I was close to committing to Alabama after their great scholarship and impressive recruiting. However, In March I was accepted to Cornell and received a good amount of money. I was waitlisted at GMU, Houston, and Vanderbilt.

Cornell has everything I want except a good climate. With the money it was a no-brainer. The money from Alabama was really tempting, but it just wasn't the school for me.

My resume was pretty fantastic. Lots of languages, part time jobs while in school, study abroad, volunteering, organizations. All in 3 years. My personal statement matched my resume, and I hear from people that my ps and ds were really good. Had to make a big effort after that lsat score lol.

Also, I was told by my pre law advisor to aim for low schools. In appts with her I'd talk about Cornell, UNC, Chicago, and she would tell me I need to apply to Santa Clara and other schools that just weren't what I wanted. Which is why I ended up applying to Miami, GSU, etc. I know that's where my numbers put me, but I told her if I didn't get into a school I'd be happy at, I'd just wait and go later. She told me I shouldn't aim so high because even if I got in a T14, I would't get money. Apparently not!

I also worked harder and pulled my first all nighter of college during the fall I was applying, just to make sure I got good grades. Idk if that helped or not, but Cornell did have a chance to see them. But it did make me feel better.

I did a lot of prep for the lsat, idk what else I would do. I would decide exactly what I want in a law school before deciding to apply. Houston, GMU, Ga State, and some others were complete wastes of time.

I'd probably put more effort in some of the classes I got B's in, and the 2 I got C's in, even though I hated those classes with a passion.

I wouldn't act so crazy. My closest friends probably hated me because I was always worried over something regarding law school. When I told them I was going to Cornell I got a bunch of itoldyousos.

1. Go where you want. No matter what your parents, friends, etc say. You'll have to do the work and it's your education.
2. Plan.
3. Don't listen to negativity.
4. Try not to get stressed out.
5. Begin with the end in mind. (from 7 habits lol) In November, I was thinking about how at my graduation party I'd announce my law school. Those types of happy thoughts kept me going.
6. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I had plenty of people read my personal statement and diversity statement.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”