Indiana Maurer or Ohio State Moritz

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JR42

Indiana Maurer or Ohio State Moritz

Postby JR42 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I am very interested to get your thoughts on my current decision, which is between Indiana Maurer or Ohio State Moritz. I am an Ohio resident, would like to practice in the Midwest, and I'm concerned with my debt load. I'm interested in both public interest law and alternative dispute resolution. From my interest in public interest, I am not looking or expecting to be making a ton of money. I also have little debt from undergrad.

Ohio State has offered me 5k a year and Indiana has offered me 15k a year. Indiana would end up costing about 20k more over three years than Ohio State. I'm a city person, which means I'm not a big fan of Bloomington and I would rather practice in Ohio than Indiana if I had to choose. I'm currently leaning toward Ohio State, but I'm wavering because of Indiana's higher ranking and I have about a week to decide.

Any and all thoughts/advice/perspective would be greatly appreciated.

Grizz

Re: Indiana Maurer or Ohio State Moritz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Ohio bro, because it is cheaper and you are from there. You're choosing between 2 regional schools and would rather practice in Ohio.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm

JR42 wrote:I would rather practice in Ohio than Indiana if I had to choose.

There is your answer: Ohio State

JR42

Postby JR42 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm a big fan of the Randy Savage avatar. On another note, is it worth it for me to try and leverage Ohio State for more money? From what little I know as a 0L, I have heard that it is hard to get more scholarship money for instate students and with my scholarship tuition would only be 20k a year as is. On the flip side, the worst thing they can say is no. Any thoughts?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 pm

JR42 wrote:On the flip side, the worst thing they can say is no.

Pretty much this. Go ahead and try.

mthomps07

Postby mthomps07 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm gonna have to say OSU without a doubt. The only other thing to think about is whether you could get in-state tuition at IUB for 2 and 3L the way that out of staters can at OSU. That would probably even the costs between schools a bit more. BUT I don't even know if that works at IUB, and even if it did, would more even costs be enough to pick IUB over OSU?

I think not. In your position the costs could be equal and OSU would still be the better choice. The rankings difference means nothing if you want to stay in the Midwest and like Ohio, because they are both equally reputable regional schools with OSU placing better in jobs around Ohio than IUB would.

Bottom line: both great schools, not as different as what the rankings would have you think, especially in your situation.

Regarding leveraging a scholly between the two, it's always worth a try but your impressions are correct. It's going to be hard to get a lot more money out of OSU as an in-stater with an offer from another regional school. Their approach is generally to award smaller amounts that are easier to keep rather than bigger amounts with stipulations.

JR42

Postby JR42 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:39 pm

From what I've been told and led to believe, I wouldn't be able to establish residency at any point at IUB. Indiana is really strict about their residency laws. Ohio is super lenient on residency for people from out of state and most people pay in state tuition their second and third year.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Not sure that rankings mean much beyond the Top 17 law schools. Ohio State & Indiana are regional law schools. The fact that they are both Tier One law schools suggests that both are sufficiently funded. The better choice is Ohio State for you.

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:01 am

OSU for sure, you're in-state and it's the region where you want to practice. That seems like a nice arrangement.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 am

OSU is the cheaper option, in the market you'd rather be, in a setting you prefer, and with stronger job prospects for the last year we have data (IUB (LinkRemoved), OSU (LinkRemoved), though granted that data is always going to be out of date). Seems easy.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am

OSU, FTW.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

OSU is TCR. Go Bucks!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 am

JR42 wrote:From what I've been told and led to believe, I wouldn't be able to establish residency at any point at IUB. Indiana is really strict about their residency laws. Ohio is super lenient on residency for people from out of state and most people pay in state tuition their second and third year.

I live in Indiana. You would not be able to establish residence here.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

IU might be willing to raise your scholarship to make it equivalent to the tuition you would pay at OSU, if you ask them. I think IU is a better and more respected law school and Bloomington is an amazing town. And I don't think an Ohio job would be at all out of reach from IU (these schools are both regional; not local) , but you might have to do more legwork since Ohio firms would not come to IU for OCI. But it's not likely you will get a job from OCI at either school.

JR42

Postby JR42 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Just as a quick edit. IU-B recently tripled my scholarship offer from 5k a year to 15k a year, which made me post this question. I haven't had any contact with them and it was completely out of the blue as I was pretty set/deposit paid at OSU. It really seems that IU-B is really scrambling to fill out their class as my numbers aren't that great as a reverse splitter (3.89 162). I'm well aware of the fact that I should just retake/reapply, but that isn't much of an option right now and I'm ready to start school now. I also went to OSU for undergrad, love Columbus, and have a fair amount of connections already in Ohio.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 am

JR42 wrote:... Indiana would end up costing about 20k more over three years than Ohio State... I would rather practice in Ohio than Indiana if I had to choose

OSU is probably best. Unless your city of preference is Cincinnati (in which case it might be more of a push).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”