WUSTL vs. UGA ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WSJ_Law

WUSTL vs. UGA ($)

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Last edited by WSJ_Law on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bk1

Re: WUSTL vs. UGA ($)

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Go to UGA. WUSTL is not worth the additional cost.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Do you mind going a little further w/ that?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Georgia is clearly the better choice for you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:24 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Do you mind going a little further w/ that?

WUSTL is going to cost you almost $200,000 in debt to go there for 3 years. UGA is going to cost about $120,000 if you do the JD/MBA (or $90,000 for just a 3 year JD).

Since both of these schools don't place very well in biglaw (places with 6 figure salaries) and because legal salaries have a bimodal distribution, you will likely end up with a job that pays $30,000-$60,000 out of either of these schools. Paying off $100,000 is a lot easier than paying off $200,000 with that kind of debt. The former would take you about 10 years to pay off whereas the latter would take you closer to 20 years to pay off.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:28 pm

What are your numbers?

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks bk. I have been a long time reader of this site and I appreciate it when users (i.e., avatars) I recognize/quasi-trust (no offense to you haha) pop up. Do you think there are any non-financial factors to be considered? My gut instinct was "no" ITE but I posted this to get opinions other than my own...

Numbers were 3.7/166 (disappointing LSAT after prepping in 170s. Like everyone else haha). 2 yrs. WE. Applied late in cycle (mid-Jan). Something I will likely regret for the next few months.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Thanks bk. I have been a long time reader of this site and I appreciate it when users (i.e., avatars) I recognize/quasi-trust (no offense to you haha) pop up. Do you think there are any non-financial factors to be considered? My gut instinct was "no" ITE but I posted this to get opinions other than my own...

Numbers were 3.7/166 (disappointing LSAT after prepping in 170s. Like everyone else haha). 2 yrs. WE. Applied late in cycle (mid-Jan). Something I will likely regret for the next few months.
Applying late doesn't matter in your case. You weren't looking at a much better outcome if you applied early anyway. Retake and reapply is probably TCR, but you should go to UGA if not.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Strato,

Still think I'd be paying sticker if I had ED'd WUSTL in August? I had $60k from Emory and $36k from Notre Dame that I attempted to lever with WUSTL but they said they were maxed out this cycle.
Last edited by WSJ_Law on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Thanks bk. I have been a long time reader of this site and I appreciate it when users (i.e., avatars) I recognize/quasi-trust (no offense to you haha) pop up. Do you think there are any non-financial factors to be considered? My gut instinct was "no" ITE but I posted this to get opinions other than my own...

No problem. I mean I think non-financial factors are important, but only once something is financially feasible. At this price, WUSTL really isn't so you can't really take the other things into account.

If you really want to have more options it seems like retaking the LSAT could do you a world of good especially since you were prepping in the 170's.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Strato,

Still think I'd be paying sticker if I had ED'd WUSTL in August?
No ED at WUSTL. Probably, but no guarantee. You wouldn't have gotten enough to make it better than UGA. Possible that you missed out on $ at UGA by applying late though.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah well if they don't offer ED then I guess that would make it difficult. I think I only got $5k from UGA because they knew I was in-state and that even a small scholarship would make UGA a tough deal to beat. Plus with a 166 I wasn't that alluring to deserve an incredibly larger amount.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:44 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Yeah well if they don't offer ED then I guess that would make it difficult. I think I only got $5k from UGA because they knew I was in-state and that even a small scholarship would make UGA a tough deal to beat. Plus with a 166 I wasn't that alluring to deserve an incredibly larger amount.

Yeah I don't think you could necessarily have expected much more money from UGA even if you applied early. State schools with already low instate tuitions tend to not give out as large scholarships to instate students.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

UGA doesnt hand out tons of cash, your 5k a year is a lot considering you are only paying 30k in tuition for 3 years - thats almost a full tuition ride compared to most schools charging 40k a year.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Unless you want to retake and think you can get 168+, start looking for housing in Athens.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:20 am

Retake get to your prep score 170 and enjoy Vandy/Duke/Virginia, which will take you back to Atlanta with no problems given your ties and give u the option to go anywhere else in the south should u want to get out of georgia.

Otherwise enjoy Athens but be prepared to miss biglaw, yet small law with little to no debt isnt the worst thing that could happen.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:28 am

Sandro wrote:UGA doesnt hand out tons of cash, your 5k a year is a lot considering you are only paying 30k in tuition for 3 years - thats almost a full tuition ride compared to most schools charging 40k a year.

I think they are broke. They didn't give out nearly as much this year as peer schools did.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am

I have housing in Athens, but will keep my eyes peeled. UGA is in a good position; it is a solid regional law school that keeps tuition very low relatively. As such they know they will be the cheapest school for their residents most of the time, and they don't have to shell out tons of cash to keep around a 164/165 median. Pricer, will you be at UGA Law in the fall?

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 am

splittinghairs wrote:Retake get to your prep score 170 and enjoy Vandy/Duke/Virginia, which will take you back to Atlanta with no problems given your ties and give u the option to go anywhere else in the south should u want to get out of georgia.

Otherwise enjoy Athens but be prepared to miss biglaw, yet small law with little to no debt isnt the worst thing that could happen.

TITCR. Plus, you can wait another year for the economy to get a little better. I am an in-state resident for GA. UGA gave out good money last year, but I had to use significant scholarships from much higher ranked schools to get them to up my 5K a year to 10K a year.

waitingisfun

Postby waitingisfun » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I think if you could be happy working in the south east region than uga would be a great choice. I've received the same scholarship to Uga and will be going there next year. Beides getting a job in Atlanta, Uga really does open up doors to working the entire region such as Charlotte which is a big banking city that could provide a lot of opportunities with the jd/MBA. Wash U may give you some more national flexibility but in the long run if you can get involved with a big firm in Atlanta many of those firms have offices in other cities. As you advance in the firm you could alway be transferred to another region.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong since they are both very good schools. It's just up to you if it is worth that extra money for the Wash U name. In your situation where you may be in school for 4 yrs with the MBA, I think you should go to Uga.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 pm

What are the prospects (if any exist) for non-biglaw, yet still solid gov't. jobs for UGA students given proximity to Atlanta and all of the governmental/federal organizations therein (Federal Reserve, SEC, Treasury, etc.)? Would these be accessible if low biglaw hiring trends continue and/or I am shut out from top 10-15%? I'd like to think that a JD/MBA from regional institution coupled with decent grades could afford access to these kinds of opportunities, but again I could be wrong. Hence I ask you people!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

doesn't UGA place relatively well in non-big law positions? i know they are up there w/ clerkships and gov. positions. i was considering UGA pretty hard w/ in-state equalizer. there was another thread about someone who just got laid off from UGA though. so who knows.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”