UCLA or GWU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or GWU

UCLA at $109,362
70%
GWU at $105,433
30%

Total votes: 27

leapincamelleopard

UCLA or GWU

Postby leapincamelleopard » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Second Deposits are due on the 15th and until last Tuesday I thought I knew where I would be next year (GWU). Then I got an email from UCLA inviting me to interview (I was on the wait-list). I got accepted and UCLA even offered me some money. Now I don't know what to do.

I love California, I grew up here and went to undergrad here. That said, it is not really where I see myself living forever. On the other hand I have only been to DC once, as a tourist when I was 7.
I am leaning toward government or environmental law.

Based on the COL/COA information found on UCLA and GWU websites I estimate that UCLA will end up costing about $109,362 and GWU will end up costing about $105,433.

I am flying to DC on wednesday to visit GWU and maybe that will help make it clearer.

bk1

Re: UCLA or GWU

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:47 pm

leapincamelleopard wrote:I love California, I grew up here and went to undergrad here. That said, it is not really where I see myself living forever. On the other hand I have only been to DC once, as a tourist when I was 7.

So you'd rather take a gamble on a place you've barely spent any time in than go to a place that you already know you like?

Seriously, just figure out if you want CA or you want DC. I think objectively this is a pretty easy call for UCLA since it costs the same, has similar if not better prospects, and is in a place you already know you like. Emphasis on that last one.

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:05 pm

DC gov & EPA headquarters --> networking as a GWU student. Also, NRDC is 2-3 hrs away in NYC, and many more env. orgs are in DC.

Curry

Postby Curry » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Depends on where you want to work but at first glace, UCLA seems like tcr.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Visit GWU before enrolling at UCLA.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:00 pm

UCLA
substantially better job prospects and about the same costs.
UCLA is better at biglaw and clerkships.

Better weather too......

Bobeo

Postby Bobeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 pm

thexfactor wrote:UCLA
substantially better job prospects and about the same costs.
UCLA is better at biglaw and clerkships.

Better weather too......

The point on clerkships might be applicable but it seems clear that the OP isn't interested in a firm job, at least to the point that firm employment shouldn't factor into his decision.

Seems like GWU is right for your goals, but visit first and make sure you like DC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”