Splitter-friendly schools for the Cali-bound

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crumpetsandtea

Re: Splitter-friendly schools for the Cali-bound

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 pm

glitter178 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Entering students at Loyola understand the terms of their scholarships. It is far from unscrupulous for an excellent school like Loyola to incentivize excellent students to attend. In fact, I consider stipulations to be a "best practice" because it gives talented students a reason to work hard instead of skating by. It is also a fair practice because it makes funds available for the best continuing students.

I also disagree with the notion that a significant number of Loyola students turn down other schools that are objectively "better." As far as I'm concerned, Berkeley and Stanford are the only schools in California that are objectively better than Loyola.

seriously dood?

+1. Also....is Danteshek a Loyola student? That would explain a lot.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Entering students at Loyola understand the terms of their scholarships. It is far from unscrupulous for an excellent school like Loyola to incentivize excellent students to attend. In fact, I consider stipulations to be a "best practice" because it gives talented students a reason to work hard instead of skating by. It is also a fair practice because it makes funds available for the best continuing students.

I also disagree with the notion that a significant number of Loyola students turn down other schools that are objectively "better." As far as I'm concerned, Berkeley and Stanford are the only schools in California that are objectively better than Loyola.

seriously dood?

+1. Also....is Danteshek a Loyola student in the top 30% of his class? That would explain a lot.

FTFY

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:When does Denteshek do OCI?

Came and went.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:When does Denteshek do OCI?

Came and went.

What kind of ragging TTT doesn't let transfers do OCI?!?!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:18 am

I lol'd. Good school? yes. Excellent? ...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:37 am

Good school? LOL

FF55

Postby FF55 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:17 am

California is a bad place to be a splitter, in my experience I didn't bother applying to Loyola, Pepperdine, or Irvine as they all sketched me out for one reason or another. I regret not going for Irvine.

Conclusion: stuck with Davis or Hastings and will have to kill 1L to either transfer up or get lucky at OCI.
Last edited by FF55 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 am

FF55 wrote:California is a bad place to be a splitter, in my experience. 169/3.4 and WL at UCLA, USC, NW, and Cornell. I didn't bother applying to Loyola, Pepperdine, or Irvine as they all sketched me out for one reason or another. I regret not going for Irvine.

Conclusion: stuck with Davis or Hastings and will have to kill 1L to either transfer up or get lucky at OCI.

So would you recommend OP EDs to somewhere like Michigan (or UVA) and tries to get back to California from there?

fogcue2

Postby fogcue2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I'll add a non-california school into the mix.

I have similar numbers to the 169-3.4 poster. I would prefer California, but not dead set on it.

I ended up rejected at UCLA, WL at USC, but in with $$ at ND. Again, I'm not deadset on Cali and would be ok with the midwest, but I feel like I can get back here from ND with ties from my undergrad (one of the above schools) and working down here for a few years and that it's a better option or equal (definitly better with $$ compared to sticker at the UC-D or UC-H) then UC-D or UC-H for SoCal at least (NorCal not as sure).

Again, I'm not completely sold on ND placing "nationally" like a T-14 but I do think that it has a solid footprint in the mid-west and west (including CA) and a bigger reach geographicly than most of it's peers (in case blind melon sees this and needs to comment, I am not refuting that BC and BU > ND for Boston or NY or GW or Emory > ND in there home markets).

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Massive splitter here. I got waitlisted or declined at Davis, UCLA, USC, and University of San Diego which was the lowest ranked school I applied to. I'm attending Northwestern.

I would have loved to go to school and work in California, but it's just not going to happen, and I'm okay with that. Some dreams die.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Ties make a difference, especially in a fairly insular market like California. That being said, UCLA is still going to be better for SoCal than a GULC or a Duke or a Cornell

I'm not totally sure if this is accurate. I'd be pretty surprised if the Socal firms that interview at Duke weren't willing to go deeper into their class than they would at UCLA.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Bumi wrote:Massive splitter here. I got waitlisted or declined at Davis, UCLA, USC, and University of San Diego which was the lowest ranked school I applied to. I'm attending Northwestern.

I would have loved to go to school and work in California, but it's just not going to happen, and I'm okay with that. Some dreams die.

This........makes me really sad ): I'm a splitter too (ED-ing to NU lol) but it makes me sad that I won't get to go to school in CA.

FF55

Postby FF55 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
FF55 wrote:California is a bad place to be a splitter, in my experience. 169/3.4 and WL at UCLA, USC, NW, and Cornell. I didn't bother applying to Loyola, Pepperdine, or Irvine as they all sketched me out for one reason or another. I regret not going for Irvine.

So would you recommend OP EDs to somewhere like Michigan (or UVA) and tries to get back to California from there?

Tough to say, as personal preference can vary from person to person. I've been out of school for a few years so where I go to law school is most likely where I'll live for the foreseeable future. If OP (or anyone else for that matter) is ok living somewhere else for a few years and has numbers competitive for T14 ED, then I can't see many reasons not to go that route. 170+ seems absolutely necessary, however. I can't help feeling like 1 LSAT point kept me out of Northwestern.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”