Splitter-Friendly schools for jobs in DC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aat30

Splitter-Friendly schools for jobs in DC

Postby aat30 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm currently spending my summer interning in the Capitol, and I think I would love to live and work here after law school. With my current GPA, if I'm going to have any success in my applications come October, it's going to be with schools that are splitter-friendly. Obviously, I've taken into consideration WE and reapplying if things don't work out this year, but I'd like to know if there exists any splitter-friendly schools that are respected in the DC area. If I want to work in government, will I be forced to work towards Northwestern 2 years down the road? How does Wash U fare in DC?

Perch

Re: Splitter-Friendly schools for jobs in DC

Postby Perch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:03 pm

GPA?

enron123

Postby enron123 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:13 pm

take the lsat

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

bad advice
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Can I hijack this thread? Because a far more interesting question is what splitter-friendly schools are good for jobs in cali. Because cali schools are for the most part splitter-unfriendly, so if a splitter is aiming for SF, SV, or LA, what is their best option?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:53 pm

sanetruth wrote:Can I hijack this thread? Because a far more interesting question is what splitter-friendly schools are good for jobs in cali. Because cali schools are for the most part splitter-unfriendly, so if a splitter is aiming for SF, SV, or LA, what is their best option?

Start your own thread because that's actually a good question.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Can I hijack this thread? Because a far more interesting question is what splitter-friendly schools are good for jobs in cali. Because cali schools are for the most part splitter-unfriendly, so if a splitter is aiming for SF, SV, or LA, what is their best option?

Start your own thread because that's actually a good question.

done. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157157

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:01 pm

With a GPA that bad your options get pretty limited. You might be able to snag GW as they take a decent amount of sub-3 GPAs but paying sticker at GW is a bad idea.

People are right that DC is really competitive and that splitter friendly schools aren't very strong there. I'd honestly look at working elsewhere because the splitter friendly schools that tend to give enough scholarship money to justify attending them tend to be located in the midwest (e.g. WUSTL/Illinois/IU-B/etc).

Desert Fox wrote:With your GPA, NU and Gtown are targets with a 170+. Michigan a reach with a 170+.

But DC is competitive as fuck. That shit is for top 25% students only. I wouldn't make plans on going there.

I think you misread OP's post history irt GPA. OP, if I'm reading it right, has a current cumulative of 2.33 and I really don't think GULC and possibly even NU-ED are that likely with a 170+.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm

bk1 wrote:With a GPA that bad your options get pretty limited. You might be able to snag GW as they take a decent amount of sub-3 GPAs but paying sticker at GW is a bad idea.

People are right that DC is really competitive and that splitter friendly schools aren't very strong there. I'd honestly look at working elsewhere because the splitter friendly schools that tend to give enough scholarship money to justify attending them tend to be located in the midwest (e.g. WUSTL/Illinois/IU-B/etc).

Desert Fox wrote:With your GPA, NU and Gtown are targets with a 170+. Michigan a reach with a 170+.

But DC is competitive as fuck. That shit is for top 25% students only. I wouldn't make plans on going there.

I think you misread OP's post history irt GPA. OP, if I'm reading it right, has a current cumulative of 2.33 and I really don't think GULC and possibly even NU-ED are that likely with a 170+.

OH shit, I thought I saw 3.1.

aat30

Postby aat30 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:13 pm

bk1 wrote:With a GPA that bad your options get pretty limited. You might be able to snag GW as they take a decent amount of sub-3 GPAs but paying sticker at GW is a bad idea.

I appreciate the healthy skepticism, thanks for not dismissing the question. Obviously everything in my future is a longshot right now, but I still need to have concrete goals for myself. I'll check out that CA thread now...

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Lol, if everyone listened to the people on TLS nobody would ever aim high. You have a fine shot at getting a job in DC. I know people who went to Tier 3's that are general counsels on the Hill. Put that red intern badge under your pillow at night and keep reachin OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”