Syracuse vs. UNLV Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hokie804

New

Syracuse vs. UNLV

Post by hokie804 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:38 pm

I need some help deciding between these two. The difference in price is not a deciding factor. I like the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism Law at Syracuse, but I really don't like the location of the school. I like UNLV and the weather in Las Vegas. I just need some advice.

uzpakalis

Bronze

Re: Syracuse vs. UNLV

Post by uzpakalis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm

UNLV. Better weather and, dare I say better employment prospects. It's the only school in the state. You might get some competition from some southwest schools but that's about it. Cuse's region is STACKED with much better schools.

That being said, the tuition at UNLV is going to skyrocket over the next few years. Def try to get in state (even though cost does not seem to be a factor for you?).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Interesting options. But these law schools are so different that only you can decide.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:27 am

uzpakalis wrote:UNLV. Better weather and, dare I say better employment prospects. It's the only school in the state. You might get some competition from some southwest schools but that's about it. Cuse's region is STACKED with much better schools.

That being said, the tuition at UNLV is going to skyrocket over the next few years. Def try to get in state (even though cost does not seem to be a factor for you?).
Its stacked if the OP is trying to get to NYC, but if upstate is a considerable option then its main competition is albany and suny-buffalo. New York's a big state, people tend to forget this.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:30 am

If you don't want to end up in Syracuse then you probably shouldn't attend Syracuse.
But I also don't see why anyone would want to stay in Nevada long-term.

If you're confident you would actually enjoy living and working in one of these locations for a good chunk of your career, then go to that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:51 am

If you want NV go to UNLV.

If you want Syracuse go to Syracuse.

If you want unemployment and unhappiness, go to UNLV and aim for Syracuse or vice-versa.

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 am

If you want to fry your ass off in a desert, go to UNLV
If you want to freeze your ass off in Upstate, go to Cuse.
Seriously, both are regional so it really depends on where you want to work. If you want Nevada and you really think that they have better weather than cuse, then go for UNLV.

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am

i am also wondering about this choice, is Syracuse really that regional? Couldnt someone travel with that law degree, especially if it is a jd/mba degree?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:14 am

Once you are outside the top 14 then I would consider the law school to be regional. Some schools regions are larger than others. IT all will come down to where OP wants to practice. If you want Nevada or the surrounding states- go to UNLV. If you want NY state and its neighbors., then go to Cuse. Can you travel outside the region of either school? Sure, but it's going to be more difficult. There are students from around the nation at both schools, so it can be done, but its going to make the job search much more difficult. IMO you need to go to the school in the region you want to practice. IF you dont know that yet- take some time to figure it out before you start. Its very hard to predict success as 1L, and thus the ability to transfer, so you should not factor transferring out of the school you end up going to. If you have ties to one region allready( born there, went to UG there, have family or a spouce from the area) then it will be easier to get employers to buy your story if you want to go away for a few years. If you dont have ties to your targeted region, then you should aim to create those ties while in law school.

TL:DR- go to the school in the region you want to work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:10 am

mediation_86 wrote:Couldnt someone travel with that law degree, especially if it is a jd/mba degree?
No

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:13 am

mediation_86 wrote:i am also wondering about this choice, is Syracuse really that regional? Couldnt someone travel with that law degree, especially if it is a jd/mba degree?
Syracuse's reputation is said to outperform its ranking. It's regional, but it has a strong alumni network throughout the mid-atlantic and actually has a history of some placement out to California. The school's name carries it well, but it gets a big knock due to its location and COA. It's obviously not a good option for big law, but it is a very respected school in the Northeast/mid-atlantic region.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:22 am

TheFactor wrote:
mediation_86 wrote:Couldnt someone travel with that law degree, especially if it is a jd/mba degree?
No
to say "No" is a stupid generalization. while traveling with a law degree from Syracuse is extremely difficult and next to impossible, it is not completely impossible. but nobody should go to Syracuse with an intent to work outside of the area.

pacers3177

New

Post by pacers3177 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 am

gwuorbust wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
No
to say "No" is a stupid generalization. while traveling with a law degree from Syracuse is extremely difficult and next to impossible, it is not completely impossible. but nobody should go to Syracuse with an intent to work outside of the area.
Agreed. And Syracuse apparently places pretty well in Rochester and other upstate areas. Its just not going to make you NYC bound.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”