IUB Vs. UGA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
detectivelogic

IUB Vs. UGA

Postby detectivelogic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Which one has better employment prospects?

JD2014

Re: IUB Vs. UGA

Postby JD2014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 pm

See here: --LinkRemoved--

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Also depends somewhat on where you are from.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 pm

What are the scholarships? Normally, IU: B is so much bigger it's the no brainer over any peer school.

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 am

IUB is giving me more money. I'm from the northeast so both schools would be a trip away. Any more thoughts?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:42 am

detectivelogic wrote:IUB is giving me more money. I'm from the northeast so both schools would be a trip away. Any more thoughts?

Be prepared to have a good, non bullshit story for why you want to work in Indiana or ATL (or even worse, rural GA). Because you're gonna get asked.

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Beyond that, all things equal, where am i more likely to have a decent job, 50-60l /year

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 pm

detectivelogic wrote:Beyond that, all things equal, where am i more likely to have a decent job, 50-60l /year

Hey I was an IU undergrad last year, talked with the pre-law adviser throughout the year, and was also an IUB Law acceptance (going elsewhere though). From what I have heard, because of IU's rating boost and more national appeal, Indy firms are becoming more hesitant to hire IUB grads because a lot of them bolt after a year or two, or never try to work there at all. IU-Indy is becoming the school to go to if you want to work in Indy (which is honestly the only city worth working for in Indiana). If you do IUB and want to work in Indiana, when youre interviewing you have to make it appear that you are committed to working in Indiana for a while. Its still a regional school, regardless of its T25 status.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 pm

pacers3177 wrote:
detectivelogic wrote:Beyond that, all things equal, where am i more likely to have a decent job, 50-60l /year

Hey I was an IU undergrad last year, talked with the pre-law adviser throughout the year, and was also an IUB Law acceptance (going elsewhere though). From what I have heard, because of IU's rating boost and more national appeal, Indy firms are becoming more hesitant to hire IUB grads because a lot of them bolt after a year or two, or never try to work there at all. IU-Indy is becoming the school to go to if you want to work in Indy (which is honestly the only city worth working for in Indiana). If you do IUB and want to work in Indiana, when youre interviewing you have to make it appear that you are committed to working in Indiana for a while. Its still a regional school, regardless of its T25 status.

I was reading a think where someone said IU: B produces smart grads, and that it's a shame they don't get better opportunities.

Both UGA and IU: B are not going to bring you back to the northeast so it's more of a regional debate.

A senior partner I know at a top 100 firm (just a family friend - I don't have many connections so take this with a grain of salt) said of Emory, Notre Dame, WUSTL and IU: B that Emory would bar none do the best of getting me back to the northeast (though none would be as good as Fordham/BU/BC). I don't know if UGA has the same national appeal as Emory in giving you a good shot at getting back at top 20%, but I would guess that Emory was the highest regarded, because it's still on the coast.

In all likelihood this is going to be whether you like the midwest or the south. IU: B is, at least, the best school placing in its state (ND does not really try to place in Indiana), and Indianapolis is a very underrated economic market, and actually a more impressive city than it gets credit for being. They have 2 great sports franchises, a top 25 deli, a growing arts scene and Steak & Shake is legit.

pacers3177

Postby pacers3177 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:23 am

flexityflex86 wrote:
pacers3177 wrote:

I was reading a think where someone said IU: B produces smart grads, and that it's a shame they don't get better opportunities.

Both UGA and IU: B are not going to bring you back to the northeast so it's more of a regional debate.

A senior partner I know at a top 100 firm (just a family friend - I don't have many connections so take this with a grain of salt) said of Emory, Notre Dame, WUSTL and IU: B that Emory would bar none do the best of getting me back to the northeast (though none would be as good as Fordham/BU/BC). I don't know if UGA has the same national appeal as Emory in giving you a good shot at getting back at top 20%, but I would guess that Emory was the highest regarded, because it's still on the coast.

In all likelihood this is going to be whether you like the midwest or the south. IU: B is, at least, the best school placing in its state (ND does not really try to place in Indiana), and Indianapolis is a very underrated economic market, and actually a more impressive city than it gets credit for being. They have 2 great sports franchises, a top 25 deli, a growing arts scene and Steak & Shake is legit.

For midwest cities not named Chicago, I'd say Indy is prob the best. Like you said it is underrated. Its a very clean city and is bigger than you would think it is.

The problem is outside of Indy, Indiana doesn't offer much. Terra Haute, Muncie, Fort Wayne, the region, West Lafayette...I don't think they are places a T25 graduate would want to work in. Unless youre name is Ken Nunn.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

uga bloomington

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:31 am

Basically, I want to know which one gives me the better chance of landing full-time employment paying at least 50k. What are the odds of finding a job like this out of both of these schools?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:02 am

detectivelogic wrote:Basically, I want to know which one gives me the better chance of landing full-time employment paying at least 50k. What are the odds of finding a job like this out of both of these schools?

You should have decent odds at either school.

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:31 am

Ok, could someone define decent odds and give me approximate odds at each school please?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 am

detectivelogic wrote:Ok, could someone define decent odds and give me approximate odds at each school please?

IUB - 42.45%
UGA - 59.22%

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 am

howd you determine those? randomly?

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Probably here: --LinkRemoved--

Though these are 2009 figures.

detectivelogic

Postby detectivelogic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 pm

I've been there, but, you cant derive those numbers from there

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 pm

detectivelogic wrote:howd you determine those? randomly?

I'm curious, how do you think anyone would be able to come up with this % chance you inquire about ? Serious question. The only people who have more data than what's publically available are current/former students, and that type of anecdotal evidence isn't always accurate. My friends in law school don't know what everyone is doing/how much they make. the value of this type of guess (I think its one step above worthless) in choosing between two similar schools IMO isnt too high.

Your equation would be : % of finishing in the top X + % of getting 50k+ job from this and similar ranks + your personal factors (work ethic, personality, looks) + complete luck/randomness + state of the economy throughout school/graduation + number of jobs available in your markets that pay 50k+ relative competition for those jobs

sch0123

Postby sch0123 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 pm

detectivelogic wrote:Ok, could someone define decent odds and give me approximate odds at each school please?

Honestly I'd say the odds are about equal... They are more or less peer regional schools, and the thing you should be deciding is which region you'd prefer to live in. Even if IUB is giving you "more money," the cost of attendance at both should be fairly reasonable. If you'd prefer to live and work in Georgia or somewhere in the southeast, go to UGA, if you'd prefer to live and work in Indiana or somewhere in that general location, go to IUB.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”