Harvard at Sticker vs. UChicago with a full scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blahh_Blahh

Harvard at Sticker vs. UChicago with a full scholarship?

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 am

This is HYPOTHETICAL. I haven't even applied yet and am in no way claiming my stats will be awesome enough to earn me a decision such as this. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum since it is only hypothetical, but I am truly curious what the majority of TLSers would choose in such a situation.

tgir

Re: Harvard at Sticker vs. UChicago with a full scholarship?

Postby tgir » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 am

Blahh_Blahh wrote:This is HYPOTHETICAL. I haven't even applied yet and am in no way claiming my stats will be awesome enough to earn me a decision such as this. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum since it is only hypothetical, but I am truly curious what the majority of TLSers would choose in such a situation.

I was faced with this choice, though I didn't end up choosing either of those options. I would say that unless someone has a very good reason to love Harvard or a very good reason to dislike UChicago, or some combination thereof, he/she should take UChicago with the full scholarship.

tgir

Postby tgir » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 am

Also, if you're just curious to see what other TLSers would do, search through old threads--you'll find polls of exactly that question.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 am

I'd take UChi and never look back.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:50 am

This type of choice (Harvard v. Columbia/Chicago with a full ride) has been debated in countless threads. Here's one to get you started. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153762&p=4319595&hilit=hamilton#p4319595

To me, Harvard would be a better choice for legal academia, prestigious clerkships, or competitive PI work. But Chicago or Columbia with money would be better for just about anything else, especially biglaw. Also keep in mind that Harvard is pretty generous with their need based grants, so it's not necessarily going to be at sticker.

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Unless your goal is to be POTUS or are independently wealthy Chicago is the best choice.

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 pm

I took a lower T14 full ride over Harvard.
Last edited by CreativityKing on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:05 pm

I know one individual who was faced with this exact same issue and took Chicago. Although another individual has been ambiguous about the money received from Chicago, I'm pretty sure this individual also took full-tuition at Chicago over Harvard. The interesting thing is that the full tuition at Chicago promises not to be just full tuition but also faculty mentoring and special programming. It remains to be seen how this will actually pan out in practice. Also, the Rubenstein (full-tution) immediately distinguishes you from classmates, prior to even entering school. Some have cited this as compelling reason to take a Rubenstein over any of the top three where distinguishing yourself from classmates is difficult given that these schools have a grading system with less... gradations.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Even though I love HLS, in a real situation such as this, it'd be a travesty not to pick Chicago. While HLS has better placement in the most elite positions (Bristow, SCOTUS, etc.) Chicago is comparable, and 200k less debt is such a significant difference for immediate earning potential out of LS. That gives you the freedom to take the path you want, not just the one that pays down loans the fastest.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:13 pm

bellamy wrote:Unless your goal is to be POTUS or are independently wealthy Chicago is the best choice.

What the fuck does wanting to be president have to do with this?

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 pm

chimp wrote:
bellamy wrote:Unless your goal is to be POTUS or are independently wealthy Chicago is the best choice.

What the fuck does wanting to be president have to do with this?

And even in those instances, Chicago v. Harvard isn't going to have a dramatic effect either way.

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:21 pm

I'd take Harvard as HYS virtually guarantees you a job if you know what the hell you are doing.

Full-ride at Chicago is a pretty damn good deal though, you can't go wrong at both really...

Follow your instinct on this one, even though i'd say you'll have an easier time getting BigLaw or Wall-Street jobs(later on) if you go to Harvard.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Def Harvard. Like others have said, Harvard does give need based aid out that could end up being significant. Because of the prestige, getting a job isn't that difficult assuming you're not a clusterfuck. Plus, doesn't Harvard have a really generous loan repayment plan that can apply to pretty much anything, not just PI?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Are you kidding? Chicago in a heartbeat. Going to a T6 school for free. FREE! Compare that to 200K in debt for similar job prospects. I don't know what marginal difference could justify 200K in debt in this situation. I know 2 Harvard law graduates, and they constantly say that they wish they had just taken a lower T10 with full tuition. So I'm guessing they would easily say the same if it were a T6 school with full tuition.
Last edited by dakatz on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Chicago with a full scholarship is the better choice, in my opinion.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 pm

dakatz wrote:Are you kidding? Chicago in a heartbeat. Going to a T6 school for free. FREE! Compare that to 200K in debt for similar job prospects. I don't know what marginal difference could justify 200K in debt in this situation. I know 2 Harvard law graduates, and they constantly say that they wish they had just taken a lower T10 with full tuition. So I'm guessing they would easily say the same if it were a T6 school with full tuition.

Oh? I didn't realize that the Rubenstein included a stipend to cover cost of living.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
dakatz wrote:Are you kidding? Chicago in a heartbeat. Going to a T6 school for free. FREE! Compare that to 200K in debt for similar job prospects. I don't know what marginal difference could justify 200K in debt in this situation. I know 2 Harvard law graduates, and they constantly say that they wish they had just taken a lower T10 with full tuition. So I'm guessing they would easily say the same if it were a T6 school with full tuition.

Oh? I didn't realize that the Rubenstein included a stipend to cover cost of living.

As a recipient of the Rubenstein, my understanding is that it does not. The money part of the scholarship is strictly full-tuition (however, if tuition rises, the scholarship continues to cover the full price).

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:12 pm

This thread is the TLS version of two adolescent boys sitting around talking about which animal would win in a fight-- a lion or a grizzly bear.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:21 pm

crit_racer wrote:This thread is the TLS version of two adolescent boys sitting around talking about which animal would win in a fight-- a lion or a grizzly bear.

That's easy, a grizzly.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 am

tgir wrote:
Blahh_Blahh wrote:This is HYPOTHETICAL. I haven't even applied yet and am in no way claiming my stats will be awesome enough to earn me a decision such as this. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum since it is only hypothetical, but I am truly curious what the majority of TLSers would choose in such a situation.

I was faced with this choice, though I didn't end up choosing either of those options. I would say that unless someone has a very good reason to love Harvard or a very good reason to dislike UChicago, or some combination thereof, he/she should take UChicago with the full scholarship.

Yale?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:23 am

OP, it depends entirely on whether you need the ability to play the Harvard card to get girls/guys.

But really, go to UChi unless you want SCOTUS

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am

I don't know why you weren't flamed more vociferously ITT, but... I want a pony too?

Don't become a lawyer and get a real job instead. Thanks.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Noval wrote:I'd take Harvard as HYS virtually guarantees you a job if you know what the hell you are doing.

Full-ride at Chicago is a pretty damn good deal though, you can't go wrong at both really...

Follow your instinct on this one, even though i'd say you'll have an easier time getting BigLaw or Wall-Street jobs(later on) if you go to Harvard.

Thing is, as 1Ls we don't know what the fuck we're doing. Chicago all the way.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
But really, go to UChi unless you want SCOTUS

This is the most absurdly stupid way to look at this choice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:54 am

IndyHCKM wrote:
bk1 wrote:

As a recipient of the Rubenstein, my understanding is that it does not. The money part of the scholarship is strictly full-tuition (however, if tuition rises, the scholarship continues to cover the full price).

It was a joke because I am tired of hearing every topic about this saying "lolololol 200k debt versus FREEFREEFREE" and trying to point out that a full tuition scholarship does not mean 0 debt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”