IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

IUB $ or Suffolk $$$?

IUB $
11
65%
Suffolk $$$
6
35%
 
Total votes: 17

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:44 pm

......
Last edited by jaydizzle on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby BostonNJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:57 pm

If you want to stay in New England Suffolk with no debt sounds pretty good!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:25 pm

BostonNJ wrote:If you want to stay in New England Suffolk with no debt sounds pretty good!



I would like to, but I do not necessarily have to. The ranking of Suffolk and scholarship stipulations are making me a little scared though as well as the living costs.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Go to IUB. Suffolk is TTT even with a full ride.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Go to IUB. Suffolk is TTT even with a full ride.



This is what I am thinking. What would you guys do if the options were W&L at $15k and UConn super cheap as well thrown in the mix?

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

We'd need more info on what you want to do and how much you value living on the east coast, how debt averse you are, how you liked the schools, etc. Mostly stuff you just have to work out for yourself. TLS is only good for preventing people from making dumb mistakes.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby BostonNJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 pm

IF UConn accepts you and you are in state, def do that! Its almost t1, its cheap (for you), and it allows you to be portable on the east coast, especially New England.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby Noval » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:05 pm

IUB or retake.

The only job Suffolk will give you is Starbucks.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:24 am

......
Last edited by jaydizzle on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby D-ROCCA » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:We'd need more info on what you want to do and how much you value living on the east coast, how debt averse you are, how you liked the schools, etc. Mostly stuff you just have to work out for yourself. TLS is only good for preventing people from making dumb mistakes.



Due to my loans it will be either big law or bust or PI. I will need one or the other. I can't find a job right now, so I am taking this huge gamble. I value the east coast a lot as my family is all here pretty much in CT. I would like to stay around here if possible, but I do understand that in this economy you have to make moves to get a job. I would strongly prefer this to being in Indiana. I do like Chicago though. It's better to have a job requiring a JD (apparently 1/3 of graduates can't even accomplish this) than do the $11 an hour gig I have now. I am starting to become more debt adverse due to being more mature unlike when I was 17 when I chose my undergrad. It's a balance of finding employment and debt for me. As far as visiting the schools, I have visited Suffolk. I did like it, but the ranking scares me. If only I had a crystal ball... I never visited IUB because I figured I would be rejected. I will visit for sure now. I have looked extensively online at IUB, and I really do love it. I like the MBA/JD program.

EDIT: I went to school in upstate NY, so I am not sure if this counts for anything if I were to look at NYC. These are the markets I really like: Boston, NYC, D.C. Chicago, and somewhere in FL. I'm not sure how possible it is to end up in any of these from IUB. The website did say half of the graduates end up out of Indiana. I guess it is better to have a job somewhere rather than no job though.


You're going to hate me, but someone other than Rad Law has to do it once in a while.

Retake and reapply? Your goals are unlikely at either of these schools. Boston, DC, and FL are out unless you are at the tippity top of your class. Chicago and NYC seem to be the best bets, but you would need to still be top 10%.

BostonNJ
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby BostonNJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:50 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:We'd need more info on what you want to do and how much you value living on the east coast, how debt averse you are, how you liked the schools, etc. Mostly stuff you just have to work out for yourself. TLS is only good for preventing people from making dumb mistakes.



Due to my loans it will be either big law or bust or PI. I will need one or the other. I can't find a job right now, so I am taking this huge gamble. I value the east coast a lot as my family is all here pretty much in CT. I would like to stay around here if possible, but I do understand that in this economy you have to make moves to get a job. I would strongly prefer this to being in Indiana. I do like Chicago though. It's better to have a job requiring a JD (apparently 1/3 of graduates can't even accomplish this) than do the $11 an hour gig I have now. I am starting to become more debt adverse due to being more mature unlike when I was 17 when I chose my undergrad. It's a balance of finding employment and debt for me. As far as visiting the schools, I have visited Suffolk. I did like it, but the ranking scares me. If only I had a crystal ball... I never visited IUB because I figured I would be rejected. I will visit for sure now. I have looked extensively online at IUB, and I really do love it. I like the MBA/JD program.

EDIT: I went to school in upstate NY, so I am not sure if this counts for anything if I were to look at NYC. These are the markets I really like: Boston, NYC, D.C. Chicago, and somewhere in FL. I'm not sure how possible it is to end up in any of these from IUB. The website did say half of the graduates end up out of Indiana. I guess it is better to have a job somewhere rather than no job though.


You're going to hate me, but someone other than Rad Law has to do it once in a while.

Retake and reapply? Your goals are unlikely at either of these schools. Boston, DC, and FL are out unless you are at the tippity top of your class. Chicago and NYC seem to be the best bets, but you would need to still be top 10%.


I will have to def agree, retake and reply for these markets. I have been doing a lot of my own going back and forth, primarily between Rutgers and Northeastern. You have to choose the school immediatly in the market you wish to remain. Point blank. Like what the post above says, you need to be atleast at the top 10% to be portable to another market. It behooves you to go to the school in the Market you want to be in. Suffolk will get you more jobs in Boston then IUB, it has the connections. IUB will get you a lot more jobs in Indiana then Suffolk can. MARKET MARKET MARKET

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 pm

IU: B hands down.

IU: B will likely lead to employment in Indiana.

Suffolk will likely not to lead to employment in Mass.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Learn to like Bloomington and Indianapolis and go to IU. Neither of them are bad places. You might find you like the midwest. And you will probably get a job from IU. Same cannot be said for Suffolk.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Indiana & Suffolk are quite different from what I have read (I am not very familiar with Suffolk). My understanding is that Suffolk primarily serves non-traditional students while Indiana is comprised mainly of recent college graduates. If it is feasible for you to visit both law schools, then that may help.

Based on your posted LSAT scores of two 154s, you have done well. Are you an URM ? Recent graduate or do you have post-college full-time work experience ? Thanks in advance.


P.S. Congratulations !

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:08 pm

The lawschoolnumbers.com graph for Suffolk is interesting.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana & Suffolk are quite different from what I have read (I am not very familiar with Suffolk). My understanding is that Suffolk primarily serves non-traditional students while Indiana is comprised mainly of recent college graduates. If it is feasible for you to visit both law schools, then that may help.

Based on your posted LSAT scores of two 154s, you have done well. Are you an URM ? Recent graduate or do you have post-college full-time work experience ? Thanks in advance.


P.S. Congratulations !


edited
Last edited by jaydizzle on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Noval
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby Noval » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:34 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana & Suffolk are quite different from what I have read (I am not very familiar with Suffolk). My understanding is that Suffolk primarily serves non-traditional students while Indiana is comprised mainly of recent college graduates. If it is feasible for you to visit both law schools, then that may help.

Based on your posted LSAT scores of two 154s, you have done well. Are you an URM ? Recent graduate or do you have post-college full-time work experience ? Thanks in advance.


P.S. Congratulations !



To the above posters: I will get to like IUB. I won't be improving my LSAT drastically that's for sure. A job somewhere is better than no where I guess heh.


I am not a URM. I grew up in Europe and speak another language fluently. I learned English a bit later. I have been a great student all my life with mediocre test scores (could be due to a variety of issues I won't get into). I graduated #1 in my program from college and Summa Cum Laude. I am not trying to toot my horn here by the way. Pretty much all of you guys are probably way more intelligent with more interesting backgrounds possibly. I had amazing recommendations that said I am a one of a kind student who comes along only very rarely in an educator's career. I also wrote a pretty good essay and LSAT addendum. I'd like to think I am special, but in reality there are more interesting people than me. I guess my application must have been good. I did get into a good number of schools.


If you managed to graduate 1st in your class then why are you applying to these schools ?
Retaking would probably open doors to better schools, possibly with funding.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IUB $ vs. Suffolk $$$

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Noval wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Indiana & Suffolk are quite different from what I have read (I am not very familiar with Suffolk). My understanding is that Suffolk primarily serves non-traditional students while Indiana is comprised mainly of recent college graduates. If it is feasible for you to visit both law schools, then that may help.

Based on your posted LSAT scores of two 154s, you have done well. Are you an URM ? Recent graduate or do you have post-college full-time work experience ? Thanks in advance.


P.S. Congratulations !



To the above posters: I will get to like IUB. I won't be improving my LSAT drastically that's for sure. A job somewhere is better than no where I guess heh.


I am not a URM. I grew up in Europe and speak another language fluently. I learned English a bit later. I have been a great student all my life with mediocre test scores (could be due to a variety of issues I won't get into). I graduated #1 in my program from college and Summa Cum Laude. I am not trying to toot my horn here by the way. Pretty much all of you guys are probably way more intelligent with more interesting backgrounds possibly. I had amazing recommendations that said I am a one of a kind student who comes along only very rarely in an educator's career. I also wrote a pretty good essay and LSAT addendum. I'd like to think I am special, but in reality there are more interesting people than me. I guess my application must have been good. I did get into a good number of schools.


If you managed to graduate 1st in your class then why are you applying to these schools ?
Retaking would probably open doors to better schools, possibly with funding.


I tried retaking and getting accommodations. None of it worked out well.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry4bfast, OhMyLaw, Sushi and 7 guests