Confused 0L in need of advice...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.


I think you know the answer. Retake/reapply.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.


I think you know the answer. Retake/reapply.


Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?


Almost assuredly not.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm

rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?


Almost assuredly not.


Ok. I was really set on beginning this fall, and over the last few weeks I've really been torn with this decision.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby DaftAndDirect » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Only looks bad if you're applying somewhere around the top 6 schools I believe (search the forums a bit more for schools that take average and "holistic" approaches to evaluating LSAT scores). Every other school will want you for your high score alone.

Plus if you hit that 169 you'll get the chance to include a super sweet LSAT addendum with your application! Wooooo!

Get after it man and good luck!

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks for the support D&D!

Frankly, I'm terrified of pulling my LSAT books out of the drawer and starting that adventure/nightmare again... :?

User avatar
D-ROCCA
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

You must not have been lurking long enough .

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby TheFactor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 am

D-ROCCA wrote:You must not have been lurking long enough .

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby doinmybest » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 pm

rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?


Almost assuredly not.


+1

I applied with 3 LSAT scores and it didn't really affect anything. Got into a couple of T10s and none of them inquired about it.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby protein » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 pm

How is your GPA?

Would a mid/high 160 score open up some T1 schools for you?

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 pm

protein wrote:How is your GPA?

Would a mid/high 160 score open up some T1 schools for you?


I think a mid/high 160 score opens up a few T1 schools for everyone (IUB, etc...)

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby 071816 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm

OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

protein wrote:How is your GPA?

Would a mid/high 160 score open up some T1 schools for you?


3.3 GPA. I finished my final two year with a very strong upward grade trend and made highest honor roll my final four semesters. So I would assume a mid/high 160 score would open up some T1 schools...

chimp wrote:OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?


No, architect. I'm also an acquaintance of Dr. Van Nostren :wink:

Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.

IronHBM
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby IronHBM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

Art Vandalay wrote:
rad law wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Hi all! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Not sure if this post belongs in this forum or the acceptances, denials forum. Anyway, I've been accepted at my state's T3 law school(also my UG), accepted at another west coast school(high tier 2, which I have ruled out b/c the COL, tuition, etc is too high), and WLed at two top 30 schools(not expecting to get in at these two).

Assuming I don't get off one of the WLs, I would be stuck returing to my UG stomping grounds for law school. The thing is, I really don't want to go there, at all. The school places well in the state but the degree isn't really marketable elsewhere, and I don't want to practice here.

I'm a non-URM just over a year out of UG, with a very strong upward grade trend, and I've taken the LSAT twice(low 150s first time, 160 second time). Unfortunately, the LSAT material was really beginning to click during the week leading up to my second test(made a 169 the Thursday before the actual test), and I really think that if I would have had another 2-3 weeks to continue studying, I could have made in the upper 160s(maybe this is wishful thinking, but, whatever).

Now, I've decided to seek the wisdom of TLS. So my question is: do I likely attend my UG's law school, or put off law school for another year and sign up for the October LSAT and dig up my study materials?

Thanks, TLS.


I think you know the answer. Retake/reapply.


Thanks for the quick reply, randy savage. Would taking the test three times turn off some adcomms even if I went say, low 150s -->160-->mid/upper 160s?


I highly doubt it would work to your detriment rather it might aid you in gaining admittance because of the steady increase in your scores. Since your GPA has also been on an incline, I don't see how a higher LSAT wouldn't benefit you. Retake/Reapply and write an addendum explaining the upward trend in your scores.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby doinmybest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

Art Vandalay wrote:Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.


Yes you can. I used letters of rec that were 1-2 years old. Schools prefer to see professor recs even if they are a bit older.

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

doinmybest wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.


Yes you can. I used letters of rec that were 1-2 years old. Schools prefer to see professor recs even if they are a bit older.


What if reapply to some schools I previously applied to? Will admission committees be turned off by seeing a letter they've read before?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 am

You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:00 pm

worldtraveler wrote:You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?


I'm not asking my chances for admission at the schools, I'm just asking would admission committees (in general) be turned off by re-reading a LOR they've already seen?

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby doinmybest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
Art Vandalay wrote:Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.


Yes you can. I used letters of rec that were 1-2 years old. Schools prefer to see professor recs even if they are a bit older.


What if reapply to some schools I previously applied to? Will admission committees be turned off by seeing a letter they've read before?


I seriously doubt it considering rec letters are a very small factor to begin with.

ArtVandalay
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby ArtVandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
protein wrote:How is your GPA?

Would a mid/high 160 score open up some T1 schools for you?


3.3 GPA. I finished my final two year with a very strong upward grade trend and made highest honor roll my final four semesters. So I would assume a mid/high 160 score would open up some T1 schools...

chimp wrote:OP, are you by any chance an importer/exporter?


No, architect. I'm also an acquaintance of Dr. Van Nostren :wink:

Also, if I do decide to retake and reapply, can I use the letters of recommendation LSAC already has on file.


Did you really take my name?

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:Did you really take my name?


Sorry, didn't know the name was taken. I guess you must be the importer/exporter version...

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby 071816 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Image

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 am

Art Vandalay wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:You want advice but you won't name the schools? What is the point of that?


I'm not asking my chances for admission at the schools, I'm just asking would admission committees (in general) be turned off by re-reading a LOR they've already seen?

Hopefully, the LOR's will be going to schools that haven't seen them, i.e. better ones

Art Vandalay
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Confused 0L in need of advice...

Postby Art Vandalay » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

chimp wrote:Image


"And you want to be my latex salesman?"




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjcorvino and 5 guests