Would you go to a school you've never visited?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Well?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Go sight unseen
88%
Pick a school you've visited and know you like
12%

Total votes: 42

Siamsa414

Would you go to a school you've never visited?

Postby Siamsa414 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:36 pm

I got in to NYU from the waitlist yesterday and am totally thrilled. It's the highest-ranked school I've been admitted to, and I've all but decided to go.

There's just one little detail: I've never visited. I've never even been to NYC. I have 9 days to accept the offer, and there's no way I'm fitting in a whirlwind visit to New York.

Would you spend the next three years of your life at a place yhou'd never been?

blsingindisguise

Re: Would you go to a school you've never visited?

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:39 pm

What's the next best school? I would say go sight unseen unless it's like NYU vs. a very closely ranked school and/or you particularly want to practice in the other school's market and not New York.

New York will be overwhelming, and it will be tempting to enjoy the city rather than study. You'll just have to be a grown-up and resist this temptation during the semester.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:45 pm

ummm... it really depends. do you adapt easily to your surroundings? i'd imagine nyc could be terrifyingly overwhelming to someone from a very small town who's never traveled to city, and it'd suck to be stuck in a place you hated.

if, on the other hand, you like the hustle and bustle of city life, are at least fairly aware of and can handle the COL, you'll probably be fine.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Just had the same thing come up and decided on the place I had never visited. Granted I had been to the surrounding area's and it was a college town which I was used to. Like the other poster's said, I think it comes down to your comfort level with big cities. I personally don't think I'd like moving to nyc for 1L not having lived in a big city, but that's just me.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:52 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:What's the next best school? I would say go sight unseen unless it's like NYU vs. a very closely ranked school and/or you particularly want to practice in the other school's market and not New York.

New York will be overwhelming, and it will be tempting to enjoy the city rather than study. You'll just have to be a grown-up and resist this temptation during the semester.

I had been planning to attend GULC, possibly with some money. I want to end up in California. Also complicating my decision is that I really like DC (lots of family there) and am not sure I'd like living in NYC.

glitter178 wrote:ummm... it really depends. do you adapt easily to your surroundings? i'd imagine nyc could be terrifyingly overwhelming to someone from a very small town who's never traveled to city, and it'd suck to be stuck in a place you hated.

if, on the other hand, you like the hustle and bustle of city life, are at least fairly aware of and can handle the COL, you'll probably be fine.

I'm not from a super small town, and went to college in the Bay Area, also expensive and fairly urban. I'm not particularly adaptable but will be moving with my partner so I wouldn't be alone.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm

i'd contact GULC and tell them you're considering NYU to see if they will bump up the money.

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:54 pm

glitter178 wrote:i'd contact GULC and tell them you're considering NYU to see if they will bump up the money.

I'm on it. :) I actually didn't receive any scholarship offer from them initially, so I'm hoping this might change things.

ArtVandalay

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
glitter178 wrote:i'd contact GULC and tell them you're considering NYU to see if they will bump up the money.

I'm on it. :) I actually didn't receive any scholarship offer from them initially, so I'm hoping this might change things.

Scholarship money and preference to DC might make it worth it. But NYU is pretty big difference IMO from GULC and without a substantial $$$ difference you might be forced to pick NYU...

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm

I mean you're talking about your future and career here. This isn't college where you pick based on the "experience." And NYU's job prospects are SO much better than GULC's. If you're really concerned about adjustment to NYC, maybe you can move in a month or two early to get some time in the city. Again, not that it won't pose a challenge, but you have to be mature and face that challenge.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:47 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I mean you're talking about your future and career here. This isn't college where you pick based on the "experience." And NYU's job prospects are SO much better than GULC's. If you're really concerned about adjustment to NYC, maybe you can move in a month or two early to get some time in the city. Again, not that it won't pose a challenge, but you have to be mature and face that challenge.

TITCR
MTFU

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 pm

As someone who used travel stipends at half a dozen schools to take subsidized vacations, I gotta say they're pretty worthless for actually comparing schools.

The best thing they actually show you is which schools have the best Admissions Officers (Univ. of Alabama, FTW). It can almost be dangerous to base anything real on them.

mikeditkaisgod

Postby mikeditkaisgod » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm not applying until next cycle, but I did attend my UG without first visiting the campus. On top of that, I joined the Army without knowing which part of the country I would be stationed at (or where I might be deployed to).

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:02 am

Just go where life takes you!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 am

I'm going to a law school that I haven't visited, so clearly I would.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I'm going to a law school that I haven't visited, so clearly I would.

Strangely, I can stare at your avatar all day...
(and me too, I thought the campus would be horrible but it wasn't, thankfully--expect the worst and you won't be disappointed!)

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 am

I'm going to a place I've never been. Crossing my fingers and I hope I like it. It's the best I can do since I'm abroad and can't get back to the US before August. I emailed with current students and had a friend in the area take the tour and tell me about it. I feel pretty confident :-)

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm

I'm headed to a city that I visited for the first time back in March for a day and a half for ASD; time which was spent entirely on the campus... so I'm pretty much attending sight unseen. You just can't know what its really like until you attend.

OV2MI

Postby OV2MI » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:09 pm

NYU! What was your decision?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 pm

flcath wrote:As someone who used travel stipends at half a dozen schools to take subsidized vacations, I gotta say they're pretty worthless for actually comparing schools.

The best thing they actually show you is which schools have the best Admissions Officers (Univ. of Alabama, FTW). It can almost be dangerous to base anything real on them.

This, especially the bolded is so true.

Also curious as to what OP picked! Edit - nvm it's in his/her profile!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Good choice OP. I hope you like New York!!

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Good choice OP. I hope you like New York!!

This!

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Dany wrote:

This!

^ but you will like New York! :D

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:
Dany wrote:

This!

^ but you will like New York! :D

According to Alicia Keys

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:08 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:I mean you're talking about your future and career here. This isn't college where you pick based on the "experience." And NYU's job prospects are SO much better than GULC's. If you're really concerned about adjustment to NYC, maybe you can move in a month or two early to get some time in the city. Again, not that it won't pose a challenge, but you have to be mature and face that challenge.

Ya this thread is over, but this bears repeating - it's professional school, you should go where you have the best professional opportunities.

Plus once you get over the garbage men playing softball with the garbage cans at 3 in the morning, NYC is completely chill.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Hell yes

Return to “Choosing a Law School”