Georgetown (21k) vs. Cornell (21k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Light

Re: Georgetown (sticker) vs. UF ($$)..need help deciding.

Postby Light » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I hope this isn't too long but I'll just group my response in categories.

On Re-taking/Re-applying

I'm not really sure if re-taking or re-applying is a viable option. I'm applying now since I've just finished undergrad. I really have nothing substantial to do for a whole year. My undergrad majors don't make me terribly qualified for actual jobs. I do perform a pretty unique art that I feel might make me stand out (according to the handwritten note from Emory's admission dean) but I don't know how much that's worth :lol: I've already interned at either the public defender's or the state attorney's office every past summer of undergrad. I'd speculate any gains in my app from that are exhausted by now.

I've also only taken the LSAT once but feel I was pretty fortunate to get what I got given my practice test scores (averaging 164-165ish). I suppose it's possible that if I studied really hard I could get a substantially higher score - but failing that I'd feel like I've wasted my time for a year. So it sounds to be a bit of a gamble. I did miss some points on the logic games due to time and even forgot to answer one stupidly - to Blondie who asked. I couldn't sleep before except about 2 hours also.

To people who have asked - I applied in like late October I think. Unfortunately, my last recommender didn't finish his letter until late November (I did send him frequent reminders and told him about it in late August). So I couldn't have been complete until then.

Also if I did re-apply do I need my recommendation people to write new ones or can they submit their old ones? Not sure how this process works. I suppose re-applying is an option though not a preferable one, my dad is vehemently against it and pays my finances. I still have some waitlists to ride out before I resort to this though. I hear Duke is giving aid to waitlisted people so I'm hopeful :\

On Employment Prospects

First of all, thank you to everyone who has some experience with UF law graduates. You all seem to unanimously reject the salaries advertised by career services, which vindicates my suspicion of them and aids my decision making. I realize the sample size of UF people here is small but still.

I should also add a thing worth considering I hadn't realized before. Georgetown probably attracts a lot of people interested in public interest/government work given that it's in DC. I bet that accounts for at least SOME of the placement - 19% public interest placement vs. 67% private sector placement. So the people who don't get big law were not necessarily seeking it in the first place. The conclusion from this is just my chances of getting it are probably a little higher than what can just be gleaned from placement figures (assuming they're accurate).

Personal Finances

To whoever asked - the cost of living in Gainesville is pretty low. I mean I have to pay living costs wherever I am but the point is they are sufficiently low such that I won't be in debt since my parents can easily foot the bill. Same with UF tuition and as I said only 14% of people with schollies lose them according to the financial aid people, so it's unlikely.

And more significantly, I asked my dad for an estimate on how much we'd have to borrow - he says about 140k. So not as bad as 200k+ but something to factor into the decision making obviously.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 am

rad law wrote:
uzpakalis wrote:retake and ED UVA

A retake will probably be superfluous if you just want to ED UVA.

You can retake and do ED. If you get your LSAT score before your LSAT score is out then you can withdraw your ED before UVA makes a decision.

tuckerp

Postby tuckerp » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:46 pm

The way I look at it... if it were me... Georgetown is not an option. I couldn't afford it. I mean, sure you could borrow $200k, but the way I look at it is that it's too expensive and just not an option at that price. That leaves really only two options from what you've provided. 1) Florida or 2) retake/wait until next year.

Of those two there are a lot of factors that you need to think about... particularly how opposed to a retake and what you may want to do in the next year to add to your resume. Florida's employment numbers are not as good as Georgetown's but you shouldn't put too much on the stats from 2009... Florida graduated somewhere between 450 and 500 students each year up until last year; as a response to the economy (or in order to beef up the school) U of Florida has greatly reduced their class size to 300. Although this won't make things great, I think that it has to improve the outlook for current 1Ls and 0Ls. It's also very probably that by removing the bottom third of their class they have a much more "employable" group.

Good luck... you've got some pretty tough decisions, but if it helps, just remember, getting the #'s is the hard part and you've already done that!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:39 pm

there's always GW if you want some DC love, and many midwest schools would give you money. Also, for many state schools tuition is locked in when you enroll. I dont know if this applies at UF tho

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Light wrote:On Re-taking/Re-applying

I'm not really sure if re-taking or re-applying is a viable option. I'm applying now since I've just finished undergrad. I really have nothing substantial to do for a whole year. My undergrad majors don't make me terribly qualified for actual jobs. I do perform a pretty unique art that I feel might make me stand out (according to the handwritten note from Emory's admission dean) but I don't know how much that's worth :lol: I've already interned at either the public defender's or the state attorney's office every past summer of undergrad. I'd speculate any gains in my app from that are exhausted by now.

You have the hard part down (3.9 gpa). I'm sure you've been to LSP and LSN and seen what 172/3.9 looks like. The scholarship money would roll in at the lower t-14 or you would be an admit at MVP and a strong consider at CCN. If somebody told you that you could either make $100k or gain acceptance to MVP just by working for a year before law school I'm guessing you would do it. So just make it your job to score a 172 on the LSAT.

I've also only taken the LSAT once but feel I was pretty fortunate to get what I got given my practice test scores (averaging 164-165ish). I suppose it's possible that if I studied really hard I could get a substantially higher score - but failing that I'd feel like I've wasted my time for a year. So it sounds to be a bit of a gamble. I did miss some points on the logic games due to time and even forgot to answer one stupidly - to Blondie who asked. I couldn't sleep before except about 2 hours also.

Everything is a gamble. If you end up in the bottom 10% at GULC owing $150k you'll feel like you wasted three years.

akaBlondie

Postby akaBlondie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Trust me, you should never think that you would have nothing to do for a year so it would be wasted. FIND something to do! Really, if you think about it, it's a gift. You give yourself some months to REALLY REALLY buckle down and study. And I mean study. You take the test. You get the score, send out your apps early, and then you go do anything you want. Volunteer on a campaign, volunteer at a non-profit, do your art full-time and get some shows scheduled, sell everything and move to another country, teach English abroad, bartend abroad .... You'll never ever look back and wish you hadn't taken the time to get a better score and then go have some adventure.

Light

Re: Georgetown (sticker) vs. UF ($$)..(update: Cornell also)

Postby Light » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Hey thanks for the responses so far guys. You guys have convinced me that re-taking/re-applying next fall is a reasonable strategy. I am considering it pending my waitlist invitations.

I just wanted to update you guys - I just got into Cornell via wait list. It's too early to say if it's sticker I guess - I don't know how generous they are with money for waitlisted candidates or anything. I haven't done any research since I just saw my email a few minutes ago.

Just letting you guys know in case this changes anything.

uzpakalis

Re: Georgetown (sticker) vs. UF ($$)..(update: Cornell also)

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Light wrote:Hey thanks for the responses so far guys. You guys have convinced me that re-taking/re-applying next fall is a reasonable strategy. I am considering it pending my waitlist invitations.

I just wanted to update you guys - I just got into Cornell via wait list. It's too early to say if it's sticker I guess - I don't know how generous they are with money for waitlisted candidates or anything. I haven't done any research since I just saw my email a few minutes ago.

Just letting you guys know in case this changes anything.

Congrats!

Exeter

Postby Exeter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am

What did you end up choosing?

Light

Postby Light » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:24 am

Exeter wrote:What did you end up choosing?

Haven't made a decision yet. I just faxed my aid forms to Cornell so I am waiting to hear of any money offers from them, and also from Georgetown's need-based aid. When that happens, or if I get another waitlist offer I will post back so I have more relevant info to factor in :)

And thank you uzpakalis :)

Light

Postby Light » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 am

Hey guys, thought I'd update you.

Cornell isn't offering me any grants.

Georgetown is offering me 6.9k in grants this first year, so not quite at sticker but not much aid.

I've had a conversation with one of the head attorney's at my internship that's convincing me UF isn't too worth it, so I'm pretty much letting it go.

I've been dinged at Columbia, but I'm still on the waitlists at UChicago, Duke, UPenn, and UVA.

Light

Postby Light » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Lol, Noval - that was pretty funny thanks for that :lol: As I said, it's mostly between Cornell and Georgetown (with 6.9k) or re-take. Or waitlist offers.

Noval

Postby Noval » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Light wrote:

Lol, Noval - that was pretty funny thanks for that :lol: As I said, it's mostly between Cornell and Georgetown (with 6.9k) or re-take. Or waitlist offers.

Ah ! Sorry didn't read carefully.

Well, in my opinion, if BigLaw is not your ultimate goal, Cornell is out of question unless you get a good scholly.
Still , Georgetown with 6,9k is still pretty damn expensive and at this point, i'd prefer coming out of Cornell with 200k-250k debt rather than coming out of Georgetown with 200-250k debt.

Both are great schools with great prospects for those who know what the hell they are getting themselves into.
Both also offer pretty decent loan repayment programs and decent PI jobs are an option for both.

Conclusion, if you are debt averse, go for Cornell and do everything in your power to get in the BigLaw boat, or leverage your Cornell acceptance and try to get a higher scholly at Georgetown, or retake and reapply next time(I don't suggest this one as Cornell virtually assures you a good job as long as you play the OCI game with realistic manners and your grades are above average.

fingersxd

Re: Georgetown (7k) vs. Cornell (sticker) vs retake

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 pm

If you must go to school, I'd say Cornell here (have you asked them to match GULC's offer? I know others who ahve done this successfully).

That said, unless the rest of your WL changes. Re-take/re-apply seems like a great option for you here. Even bumping up to 169/170 will mean a bunch of t14 acceptances and probably a good chunk of $ on top of that.

Light

Re: Georgetown (21k) vs. Cornell (21k)

Postby Light » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I am leaning Cornell and I've got letters from both schools telling me to withdraw from the other so I gotta do this ASAP. Cornell also matched my scholly of 7k a year.
It sounds silly but I'm from Florida and can't really fathom how cold it is in Ithaca. I've only even seen snow once :shock:
Still haven't decided officially yet

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Light wrote:It sounds silly but I'm from Florida and can't really fathom how cold it is in Ithaca. I've only even seen snow once :shock:

It snows in DC too.

Light

Postby Light » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Light wrote:It sounds silly but I'm from Florida and can't really fathom how cold it is in Ithaca. I've only even seen snow once :shock:

It snows in DC too.

I'm fine with some snow.. But I don't think it's as brutal there as Ithaca.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Light wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It snows in DC too.

Haha, yes! A fellow Floridian who's got little to no experience in snow. I was in snow once, when I was like 5.

edit: also, between the two choices you have, isn't really just a personal preference between NY and DC?
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 pm

dont go to cornell. ithaca and the people living there suck. (no offense to all the awesome TLS ithacans out there of course :) )

Light

Postby Light » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Light wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It snows in DC too.

Haha, yes! A fellow Floridian who's got little to no experience in snow. I was in snow once, when I was like 5.

edit: also, between the two choices you have, isn't really just a personal preference between NY and DC?

Haha yeah the cold anywhere will be extreme :/ and dc is probably more happenin than Ithaca but it's only a minor consideration compared to the cold. Also Cornell's class size is very small while Georgetown's is the biggest among the t-14 :/

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 am

Light wrote:Haha yeah the cold anywhere will be extreme :/ and dc is probably more happenin than Ithaca but it's only a minor consideration compared to the cold. Also Cornell's class size is very small while Georgetown's is the biggest among the t-14 :/

I'm from Los Angeles. The cold isn't that big of a deal.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

People need to get over the cold. It sucks, but you get used to it. Anyone who prioritizes weather over jerb prospects deserves what they get.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am

cornell is literally the worst place in the world. the cold is the least of your worries - the CLOUDS are way worse than the cold, but the way in which people treat one another makes cornell uniquely terrible among top law schools. it's no secret. everyone knows it.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 am

koalatriste wrote:cornell is literally the worst place in the world. the cold is the least of your worries - the CLOUDS are way worse than the cold, but the way in which people treat one another makes cornell uniquely terrible among top law schools. it's no secret. everyone knows it.

The grey is definitely worse than the cold. Also, what are you referencing?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”