Georgetown (21k) vs. Cornell (21k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Light

Georgetown (21k) vs. Cornell (21k)

Postby Light » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the help so far. I'm now deciding between Cornell and Georgetown mainly..please see my latest post on the 2nd page for more details. I'll copy and paste it here when I can get on a comp, currently on my phone.

Update: Cornell matched Georgetown's scholly and they've both sent me deposit overlap notices so I need to drop one quickly :/
It is worth mentioning I am also waitlisted still at UChicago, UPenn, Duke, UVA, UCLA Gaining acceptances here would alter my decisions as I may choose one of them if given a better offer than at G-town or Cornell. But there's no other acceptances so far so we can leave them out of the process for now I guess.
Last edited by Light on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

protein

Re: Georgetown (sticker) vs. UF ($$)..need help deciding.

Postby protein » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Have you tried using your UF $ to try and get a little bit from GULC? I was in a similar situation, got $ from a T1 and got in off a waitlist to a T13. I told the T13 about the $ and they actually provided around the same amount of $.

If you really want biglaw, I'd go to GULC. If biglaw isn't that important to you, I'd go to UF for free.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 pm

No Emory/Vandy/Texas etc.?

Light

Postby Light » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 pm

rad law wrote:No Emory/Vandy/Texas etc.?

No red, I had 80k at Emory but I didn't pay the first deposit. I couldn't hold on to all the schools - I'm just mentioning the ones here that I've either deposited at or am still waitlisted at.

Protein- I haven't tried that, if you think it will work I will give it a shot. Who would I speak to about that - and would I do it in an email or on the phone? I thought I'd need an offer from a peer school to haggle with G-town. Plus, G-town is not very generous financially so I'm not holding my breath.
Last edited by Light on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 pm

What are your numbers?

Light

Postby Light » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 am

rad law wrote:What are your numbers?

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

protein

Postby protein » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am

Light wrote:
rad law wrote:No Emory/Vandy/Texas etc.?

No red, I had 80k at Emory but I didn't pay the first deposit. I couldn't hold on to all the schools - I'm just mentioning the ones here that I've either deposited at or am still waitlisted at.

Protein- I haven't tried that, if you think it will work I will give it a shot. Who would I speak to about that - and would I do it in an email or on the phone? I thought I'd need an offer from a peer school to haggle with G-town. Plus, G-town is not very generous financially so I'm not holding my breath.

it's a long shot, but really, what do you have to lose?

you could shoot whoever has been sending you the WL emails a reply stating that you've got X amount from UF and were wondering if GULC would be able to provide any merit based aid

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:05 am

Light wrote:

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

You're going to get the inevitable "Retake/Reapply" response, but to me, I'd say go to Georgetown. Unless you're deadset on staying in Florida. Georgetown will give you more mobility and a better chance at BigLaw than UF. Just my 2 cents.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am

UF's scholarship has a 3.2 stipulation on that they won't budge on, so you have about a 50% chance of losing your scholarship. Also, UF is increasing tuition by 15% every year, so tuition will be much higher your 3L year. Please bear this in mind. Even with your scholarship, you can still pay expect to pay an average of 10k a year in tuition. And UF students had A LOT of trouble finding jobs last year, so it may be difficult to justify the cost.

That said, GULC at sticker is also pretty risky. They had a disturbingly high unemployment rate for a T14 school. But it was MUCH better than Florida's, and a GULC degree would carry fairly well back to Florida firms, much better than a UF degree of similar (or marginally higher) class rank.

Between the two, I'd go to GULC. But try to get GULC money if you can.

tuckerp

Postby tuckerp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I think I'm going to go against the popular choice here... being debt free from the top school in one of the largest states is huge! I personally know about 10 recent UF Law grads that have jobs in the 70-120 range. I think that if you go to UF, you can expect that you won't be in the bottom third w/ your numbers (debatable, but that's my take)... and if you're in the top 20% you'll be making 80k+ and debt free... that's an awesome spot to be in. Worst case as I see it, you go the district attorney or state clerkship route and you can live off the $40k salary for a few years no problem if you're debt free... then you will be able to apply to all of those "must have 2 years experience and be a member of the bar" jobs.

I don't think unemployment should be a concern at UF or Gtown... you WILL get a job iff you work hard at looking for one... you just need to be prepared for that to be a $55k job... and that's a real possibility from either school.

Note: my whole analysis changes if you can get out of a top 14 school w/ 75ish in debt or less.... otherwise, don't let the name brand blind you to reality... this isn't a $300 pair of shoes that you may or may not regret... it's a life changing amount of debt.

Light

Postby Light » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 pm

duckmoney wrote:UF's scholarship has a 3.2 stipulation on that they won't budge on, so you have about a 50% chance of losing your scholarship. Also, UF is increasing tuition by 15% every year, so tuition will be much higher your 3L year. Please bear this in mind. Even with your scholarship, you can still pay expect to pay an average of 10k a year in tuition. And UF students had A LOT of trouble finding jobs last year, so it may be difficult to justify the cost.

That said, GULC at sticker is also pretty risky. They had a disturbingly high unemployment rate for a T14 school. But it was MUCH better than Florida's, and a GULC degree would carry fairly well back to Florida firms, much better than a UF degree of similar (or marginally higher) class rank.

While it's true that UF's tuition may be increasing - it is still by far the cheapest option. I understand the GPA stipulation on the scholly, it's difficult to calculate the chances of losing it since UF doesn't provide a median GPA (just a mean), though I called financial aid and they told me only 14% of students who had aid lost it the previous year. Given that information - would you still say GULC? I agree UF students had a lot of trouble finding jobs and G-town has better placement.

Tucker - thanks for the advice also. I agree that going to UF might make me more wealthy even with a lower salary since I'll be debt free (plus low living costs in Florida). Even if you know quite a few people making good salaries from UF, the data I posted suggests that a relatively small amount of people are making that much. Not sure what's going on between that 30k salary at the 25 percentile and 97k at the median - that's a huge difference. Like you say, maybe the fact that my numbers are high for UF increases the chance that I'll be higher ranked in the class.

Gunna draft an email now to ask G-town for some aid. 40-50% tuition from them would pretty much put the nail in the coffin to UF. I know that's a long shot at G-town though. Any other opinions in the mean time are welcome. Thanks to everyone responding so far.
Last edited by Light on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I would be very surprised if GULC gave out that much tuition money this late in the game. Good luck though...cant hurt to ask!

Light

Postby Light » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Got an email response today to my request - They aren't giving me any aid. This blows :(

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Light wrote:Got an email response today to my request - They aren't giving me any aid. This blows :(

I dunno man, I don't like either option really. If you have the option to sit out this cycle and try for Vandy/UCLA/Tex with money next cycle, or better yet retake, I'd do it.

protein

Postby protein » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:29 pm

If retake/reapply isn't something you want to do,

No debt/limited to Florida - UF
Better career prospects/potential for biglaw - GULC

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Light wrote:
duckmoney wrote:UF's scholarship has a 3.2 stipulation on that they won't budge on, so you have about a 50% chance of losing your scholarship. Also, UF is increasing tuition by 15% every year, so tuition will be much higher your 3L year. Please bear this in mind. Even with your scholarship, you can still pay expect to pay an average of 10k a year in tuition. And UF students had A LOT of trouble finding jobs last year, so it may be difficult to justify the cost.

While it's true that UF's tuition may be increasing - it is still by far the cheapest option. I understand the GPA stipulation on the scholly, it's difficult to calculate the chances of losing it since UF doesn't provide a median GPA (just a mean), though I called financial aid and they told me only 14% of students who had aid lost it the previous year. Given that information - would you still say GULC? I agree UF students had a lot of trouble finding jobs and G-town has better placement.

Tucker - thanks for the advice also. I agree that going to UF might make me more wealthy even with a lower salary since I'll be debt free (plus low living costs in Florida). Even if you know quite a few people making good salaries from UF, the data I posted suggests that a relatively small amount of people are making that much. Not sure what's going on between that 30k salary at the 25 percentile and 97k at the median - that's a huge difference. Like you say, maybe the fact that my numbers are high for UF increases the chance that I'll be higher ranked in the class.

Gunna draft an email now to ask G-town for some aid. 40-50% tuition from them would pretty much put the nail in the coffin to UF. I know that's a long shot at G-town though. Any other opinions in the mean time are welcome. Thanks to everyone responding so far.

Eh, I'm still skeptical of UF. I just graduated from UF undergrad and have lots of friends in law school; the job situation from my perspective there is legitimately bad. It's not a situation of "if you work hard you will get a job" as the previous poster suggested. People there are really struggling to find anything at all, much less solid 80k plus firm jobs. Just look at the employment numbers on law school transparency; they were terrible last year.

I do think that Texas or Vandy w/ money would be a much better option than either, but I don't know if that could be on the table.

GULC isn't ideal, but if you have no savings Florida will still cost you 30k+ in tuition plus 30k in cost of living. 60k isn't exactly debt free, especially if you're only making 40k. And you would be looking at almost 85k of debt if you lose your scholarship.

akaBlondie

Postby akaBlondie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:51 pm

When did you apply? You have good numbers. That GPA is killer. I'm surprised you haven't gotten in to better schools, and with money. I really wouldn't settle for anything less than the top 20. If you can (and think it would do any good), I would retake the LSAT. If you missed any more than one point on the logic games, I would learn them and retake for sure. Apply earlier next year and take this time to work/volunteer/travel/all of the above.

Don't limit yourself to UF.

If you MUST go to law school this year, go to GULC, but, really, with that GPA you should be able to get better.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 pm

I'd say GULC.

GULC at sticker is painful, though.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Light wrote:

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

I say reapply early next cycle. You can get a much better deal than what you have now.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Light wrote:

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

I say reapply early next cycle. You can get a much better deal than what you have now.

wow, definitely +1.

If you must decide between these two right now:

Are you willing to take out 200k+ for a ~50% shot at BigLaw?

If not, go to UF and accept that you will not get BigLaw (I think you'd have like a 10/15% shot).

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:31 pm

scammedhard wrote:
Light wrote:

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

this

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:42 pm

TheFactor wrote:
scammedhard wrote:
Light wrote:

Numbers are 167 and 3.9

this

ditto. retake and ED UVA

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 am

uzpakalis wrote:retake and ED UVA

A retake will probably be superfluous if you just want to ED UVA.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 am

Also graduated from UF UG, also know a lot of people at UF law. Even those numbers you cited as coming from the Career Services are bloated. I know well-performing students struggling to find ANYTHING. GULC at sticker is scary but so if a life of wishing you had gone to better school

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Assuming that the resident tuition remains at $15,000 per year at Florida & you maintain your $36,000 (over 3 years ?) financial aid, then what is the total COA for Florida over all 3 years ?

Also, do you have any specific career goals ?

Regardless of your answers to the above questions, I agree that waiting for Columbia, Chicago, Cornell, Virginia or Penn is worthwhile. If you are not called from the waitlist, then reapply next cycle. Paying sticker at GULC is unwarranted in your case since you are on the cusp of many superior options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”