BU vs Vandy vs UIUC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: BU vs Vandy vs UIUC

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 pm

wdk3618 wrote: hes mistaken, it might be different for undergrad im not sure but its very difficult in law school in illinois you would essentially have to get married so dont count on the in-state
I heard this as well.

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Ya Im not counting on it.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 am

TheSteelKid wrote:BTW I will NOT be submitting my deposit to Vanderbilt, as wonderful of an opportunity as that sounds like. I would rather go to U Illinois with minimal debt and bank on Chicago, which is one of my top choices of place to live.
I woudln't bank on Chicago. I would still do vandy.... Chicago has been a terrible market the last 2 years..... hopefully it improves for your sake.
Good luck...

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 am

thexfactor wrote:
TheSteelKid wrote:BTW I will NOT be submitting my deposit to Vanderbilt, as wonderful of an opportunity as that sounds like. I would rather go to U Illinois with minimal debt and bank on Chicago, which is one of my top choices of place to live.
I woudln't bank on Chicago. I would still do vandy.... Chicago has been a terrible market the last 2 years..... hopefully it improves for your sake.
Good luck...

Thanks!

...this was sarcasm by the way. At an rate, I'm confident in my ability to succeed coming out of U Illinois..plus not wanting to go to Vandy/Tennessee makes that a deal breaker for me. If I get 20k or more per year from BU, I'm goin to Boston, unless I get off of the waitlist at Michigan or NU.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:25 am

TheSteelKid wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
Good luck...

Thanks!

...this was sarcasm by the way. At an rate, I'm confident in my ability to succeed coming out of U Illinois..plus not wanting to go to Vandy/Tennessee makes that a deal breaker for me. If I get 20k or more per year from BU, I'm goin to Boston, unless I get off of the waitlist at Michigan or NU.
Well good luck either way. Enjoy illinois.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am

drylo wrote:
jonillson wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:I will grant that there is another inference that can be drawn from the 1.05 and 2.16 numbers. Perhaps since more BU students head to NY, and fewer NY firms interview at BU than Vandy, then firms higher deeper in BU's class--for example, each firm highers 2 instead of 1. However, if that was the case I would expect fewer firms to interview at Vandy, not more.
Why would you "expect fewer firms to interview at Vandy" if "firms higher deeper in BU's class"? I don't understand.
I know OP has ruled out Vandy, but I just can't leave this softball hanging. You would expect more firms to interview at the schools where they would hire deepest into the class. I'm not even sure that qualifies as logical reasoning--it's just common sense. For example, more firms go to Harvard's OCI than Akron's.
I think you misunderstood my question. I understand how one could correlate the number of firms that interview on a particular campus with the depth at which those firms hire at that particular campus. I was asking for an explanation of the relationship between the number of firms that interview at one particular campus (Vandy) and the depth at which firms hire at another campus (BU). Rawlsian claimed that if firms hire deeper into BU's class, less firms--relative to the number that interview at BU--interview at Vandy. I can't square that.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 am

thexfactor wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Definitely Boston. It's a great school with decent scholly and your avoiding the south.
You might also avoid a biglaw job at BU.lol
The cost of attending vandy and BU is basically the same. I would take vandy.
Employment prospects from BU for biglaw in both Boston and nyc are fantastic. Look at their numbers. If he wants to avoid the south at all costs, vandy has more risk.
long term NLJ250 rates +clerkship are better for vandy as compared to BU.
The difference we are talking about is 5-10%, which while significant, is not so significant as to trump regional preference. Besides, BU is a fucking party. Welcome.

jonillson

New

Post by jonillson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 am

Corwin wrote:
TheSteelKid wrote:So ive submitted my deposit to BU and am desperately hoping I receive more money. If not, it looks like Im UIUC bound. UIUC will only cost me 30k over 3 years but with only 10k a year it looks like BU will cost around 100k over three years....i need more $$!
You also need to consider the massive cost of living difference between Champaign and Boston. With a roommate you can pay less then $350 a month to rent a solid place in Champaign or Urbana. In Boston you're looking at $800 with roommate, over $1K a month without. That's another $20K in debt due to rent alone if you go to BU. If you don't care whether you practice in Chicago or Boston/NYC and you are debt averse, UIUC is a much better choice.
You don't really need to consider the "massive cost of living difference" if you look at COA and not just tuition. With your current scholarships, COAs are:

UIUC: $75,332
BU: $135,996
Vandy: $181,992

Make your decision on the basis of these numbers.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 am

Just FYI:

We only have 11 NYC firms signed up for OCI at our school so far, with another 35 scheduled for the off-campus interview session in NYC. While 46 isn't impressive, it is solid. That number will hopefully grow by lock-down July 1st, we've been picking up 1-2 firms a day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSteelKid

Bronze

Post by TheSteelKid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:06 pm

The more the merrier! Hopefully that number improves

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”