BU vs Vandy vs UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheSteelKid

BU vs Vandy vs UIUC

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 pm

So I just got into BU and Vandy off of the waitlist and they are quickly applying the pressure on me! I have gotten $10k/year from BU and they said they are serious about the possibility of increasing their offer. Their deposit is due tomorrow (Wednesday, June 1st)! Vanderbilt has offered me $8,000 a year and I will talk to them tomorrow about increasing their offer. Their deadline is Friday, June 3rd. I have received 35k/year from UIUC and really like Chicago but being that I am 24 I want to live in a city right now and am not particularly excited about Champaign, Illinois!

I would like to work in a big market whether it be Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC or LA/San Francisco. At any rate, I'm not really willing to take on a lot of debt. With a 3.25 and a 170 do you think I can get more $$ out of BU/ Vandy? Thanks for you attention!
Last edited by TheSteelKid on Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Re: BU vs Vandy vs UIUC

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 pm

is it 10K total or per year at BU, and is the 35K at Illinois total or per year? If it's total, I'd go Vandy easily, but if you can get like 15-20K/yr at BU, then I'd go there.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Vandy seems to place more weight on the GPA than the LSAT when giving out money, so you're not a strong candidate for a large scholarship. They also don't negotiate. It's worth a try to ask for more money, but it's unlikely that you'll get anything.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 11:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:is it 10K total or per year at BU, and is the 35K at Illinois total or per year? If it's total, I'd go Vandy easily, but if you can get like 15-20K/yr at BU, then I'd go there.

I don't have any interest in being in the south so I'm wondering if that is a deal breaker for Vandy...I have to research them more, PRONTO!

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Tue May 31, 2011 11:11 pm

At those prices, Vanderbilt is TCR unless you definitely do not want to be in the South. Where do you want to practice?

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm

tothePAIN wrote:At those prices, Vanderbilt is TCR unless you definitely do not want to be in the South. Where do you want to practice?

What does TCR mean??

And no, I have no intention on practicing south of Washington D.C., unless we are talking West Coast.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 11:23 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:is it 10K total or per year at BU, and is the 35K at Illinois total or per year? If it's total, I'd go Vandy easily, but if you can get like 15-20K/yr at BU, then I'd go there.

sorry for the confusion! all the stated numbers are per year. 35k.year at illinois, 8k/year at vandy and 10k/year at BU

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 31, 2011 11:24 pm

TheSteelKid wrote:
tothePAIN wrote:At those prices, Vanderbilt is TCR unless you definitely do not want to be in the South. Where do you want to practice?

What does TCR mean??

And no, I have no intention on practicing south of Washington D.C., unless we are talking West Coast.

The Credited Response.

No desire to work in the south + higher scholarship = BU

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Tue May 31, 2011 11:35 pm

At 35k / year, I'd actually say go to UIUC. Thats a 75k tuition difference + COL difference. We're talking 90k difference. If you're fine with the midwest, UIUC.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 31, 2011 11:41 pm

yeah, I think you need to go to Illinois unless BU gives you about 20K per

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 11:47 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:yeah, I think you need to go to Illinois unless BU gives you about 20K per

Im thinking 20k a year is my cutoff. If i can get that out of them, BU gets a great look from me.

Also, my UIUC scholly and Vandy scholly are both GUARANTEED. My BU scholly is subject to staying in good academic standing, which I presume to mean top half of the class.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

tothePAIN wrote:At 35k / year, I'd actually say go to UIUC. Thats a 75k tuition difference + COL difference. We're talking 90k difference. If you're fine with the midwest, UIUC.

Fine with the midwest? Not necessarily. But id love to work in Chicago.

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Tue May 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Standard good academic standing is basically not failing out.

UIUC would be a bet on Chicago.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue May 31, 2011 11:56 pm

I think it is a tossup between vandy and UIUC. Is vandy worth 75k more? I would pay a little extra for a 10-15% higher biglaw chance. Unlike UIUC, Vandy also places well back east.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 am

Definitely Boston. It's a great school with decent scholly and your avoiding the south.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 am

coldshoulder wrote:Definitely Boston. It's a great school with decent scholly and your avoiding the south.

You might also avoid a biglaw job at BU.lol
The cost of attending vandy and BU is basically the same. I would take vandy.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:12 am

thexfactor wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Definitely Boston. It's a great school with decent scholly and your avoiding the south.

Employment prospects from BU for biglaw in both Boston and nyc are fantastic. Look at their numbers. If he wants to avoid the south at all costs, vandy has more risk.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 am

coldshoulder wrote:
thexfactor wrote:

Employment prospects from BU for biglaw in both Boston and nyc are fantastic. Look at their numbers. If he wants to avoid the south at all costs, vandy has more risk.

long term NLJ250 rates +clerkship are better for vandy as compared to BU.
Last edited by thexfactor on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Postby skers » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 am

coldshoulder wrote:
thexfactor wrote:

:?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:15 am

How debt averse are you? With a sub 3.3, you're honestly lucky to get into Vandy and BU.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 am

thexfactor wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
thexfactor wrote:

long term NLJ250 rates +clerkship are better for vandy as compared to BU.

Of course, but both schools are regional. Even without biglaw going to BU will more likely place the OP in a good job outside of the south. If he was okay with the possibility of southern employment, obviously vandy would be the better choice.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 am

coldshoulder wrote:Of course, but both schools are regional. Even without biglaw going to BU will more likely place the OP in a good job outside of the south. If he was okay with the possibility of southern employment, obviously vandy would be the better choice.

Yeah but at these prices, probably a better idea to maximize biglaw employment ANYWHERE.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 am

rad law wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Of course, but both schools are regional. Even without biglaw going to BU will more likely place the OP in a good job outside of the south. If he was okay with the possibility of southern employment, obviously vandy would be the better choice.

Yeah but at these prices, probably a better idea to maximize biglaw employment ANYWHERE.

There is definitely sense to this statement but i dont want a lot of debt and i dont want to be in the south! If vandy tells me they're not able to offer more $ its unlikely that i will go.

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 pm

thexfactor wrote:I think it is a tossup between vandy and UIUC. Is vandy worth 75k more? I would pay a little extra for a 10-15% higher biglaw chance. Unlike UIUC, Vandy also places well back east.

Why do people think vandy outplaces BU in biglaw when the nlj numbers say theyre the same?

TheSteelKid

Postby TheSteelKid » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 pm

So ive submitted my deposit to BU and am desperately hoping I receive more money. If not, it looks like Im UIUC bound. UIUC will only cost me 30k over 3 years but with only 10k a year it looks like BU will cost around 100k over three years....i need more $$!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”