Vandy v. UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Vandy or UCLA?

Vandy
48%
UCLA
52%

Total votes: 62

tothePAIN

Re: Vandy v. UCLA

Postby tothePAIN » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 pm

You appear to have little preference between the two schools.

Your SO would enjoy LA and I have a hard time believing that UCLA doesn't have as much strength in NY as Vanderbilt. I'd attribute any difference in placement rates to self selection.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes. It is necessary to vote in order to view the poll results, so I went alphabetically.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Interesting...usually I fidn that on TLS if schools are considered roughly equal that $ wins out. Surprised nobody has tried to argue for Vandy on that basis, but not entirely upset. Thanks to all for the input...and keep the advice coming! I could use any help I can get :)

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm

fingersxd wrote:Interesting...usually I fidn that on TLS if schools are considered roughly equal that $ wins out. Surprised nobody has tried to argue for Vandy on that basis, but not entirely upset. Thanks to all for the input...and keep the advice coming! I could use any help I can get :)

$ or location (if the $ difference isn't significant)

it seems that location-wise, UCLA seems to be a better fit

canuck996

Postby canuck996 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm

If you are interested in New York and the money is the same, I would absolutely recommend Vandy.

I am not sure about reciprocity between California and New York, but if you want to get back to New York, the idea of taking both the California and New York bars seems like reason enough to avoid a 6-year stopover in California.

tranandy

Postby tranandy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:41 pm

If you are really set on NYC and plan to go to either school, be prepare for the possibility of being disappointed because only the top students at either school will really have a shot at the plum NYC jobs that justify the tuition at the respective schools.

With that in mind, you should either have (a) a good backup plan such as accepting one of the vastly more available positions in Cali (UCLA) or the South (Vandy) or (b) be prepared to graduate with no job, take the NY bar and network/send resumes/take small firm job in NYC to start your career.

Also, keep in mind that many unknowns can happen in law school, and maybe you get engaged to the gf you currently have and returning to NYC is no longer possible or you get a new gf and want don't want to leave where you are. Are you prepared to live in the region where either school is in the long term? Maybe that will help you pick the school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 pm

tranandy wrote:If you are really set on NYC and plan to go to either school, be prepare for the possibility of being disappointed because only the top students at either school will really have a shot at the plum NYC jobs that justify the tuition at the respective schools.

With that in mind, you should either have (a) a good backup plan such as accepting one of the vastly more available positions in Cali (UCLA) or the South (Vandy) or (b) be prepared to graduate with no job, take the NY bar and network/send resumes/take small firm job in NYC to start your career.

Also, keep in mind that many unknowns can happen in law school, and maybe you get engaged to the gf you currently have and returning to NYC is no longer possible or you get a new gf and want don't want to leave where you are. Are you prepared to live in the region where either school is in the long term? Maybe that will help you pick the school.

It's not really correct to say the backup plan is only those 2 regions. Both are fairly well known schools, so the backup really is "wherever you have ties," maybe with an edge to Vandy since the majority of grads tend to disperse and/or go back to where they are from.

drylo

Postby drylo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm

rad law wrote:
tranandy wrote:If you are really set on NYC and plan to go to either school, be prepare for the possibility of being disappointed because only the top students at either school will really have a shot at the plum NYC jobs that justify the tuition at the respective schools.

It's not really correct to say the backup plan is only those 2 regions. Both are fairly well known schools, so the backup really is "wherever you have ties," maybe with an edge to Vandy since the majority of grads tend to disperse and/or go back to where they are from.

Yeah. What are you talking about, tranandy?

tranandy

Postby tranandy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 pm

drylo wrote:
rad law wrote:

Yeah. What are you talking about, tranandy?

When I say have "a good backup plan such as ..." that means that there is more than one possible backup or even a better backup than the one I suggested. Like I said, neither Vandy nor UCLA offer fantastic opportunities for NYC if the OP is dead set on NYC, so have a good backup plan.

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Since it seems like OP is ok with either NYC or LA, it might be just as well to to head out to UCLA with the SO and plan to work in LA immediately after graduation. After that it shouldn't be too hard to move over to a NY firm if he's dead set on it. In another sense, if OP ever wants to work in CA it might be better to go ahead and get the CA bar out of the way; I imagine there are a lot of UCLA grads doing both CA and NY bar exams anyway, no?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:Since it seems like OP is ok with either NYC or LA, it might be just as well to to head out to UCLA with the SO and plan to work in LA immediately after graduation. After that it shouldn't be too hard to move over to a NY firm if he's dead set on it. In another sense, if OP ever wants to work in CA it might be better to go ahead and get the CA bar out of the way; I imagine there are a lot of UCLA grads doing both CA and NY bar exams anyway, no?

I haven't heard of many people being admitted in NY and CA, but I suppose it's possible. By all accounts it would be a HUGE pain to do this though. Ironically, I think the SO would be quiet happy in Nashville, but I just don't think the job opportunities are there. Have any Vandy students been able to get any sort of job search assistance for an SO?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”