Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CPG2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CPG2011 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm

I am a senior at temple and have a 3.4 and got 170 on the LSATS. I'd like to stay in Philly and am applying to Temple in a few months, but wanted to know if anyone had other suggestions. I don't mind relocating although I'm not sure if it will matter because I have pretty average stats. I can take the LSAT again in October and could see myself improving if only by a point or two. Is it worth taking again?

As far as the money part, I am interested in personal injury or any kind of law where I can eventually choose how much I want to make by deciding how hard/how much I want to work. I like the idea of not having a set salary, and although it's a gamble, I think it would motivate me. Basically I am asking what type of law is best to make the most money when I graduate and where I should apply with my stats. Can I even get into a top 20 school with a 3.4?

Thanks.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby TheFactor » Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Please don't go to Temple with those numbers. And yes, you should be able to snag something in the T20. If you don't mind paying sticker, you have a great shot at several T14s if you ED.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby duckmoney » Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm

You should be aiming higher than Temple if you have a 170. If your goal is to make money regardless of potential debt, then your best bet would probably be to ED to UVA, and if that fails (probably will, but you'll hear back within 2 weeks), then ED to GULC. If you want scholarship, apply to a splitter-friendly school like WUSTL, IUB, or UIUC.

When you graduate, expect to work in salaried firm job for at least few years. Once you build up a client base, then you can try to go solo and work on your own time.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby NYC Law » Tue May 31, 2011 4:44 pm

CPG2011 wrote:I am a senior at temple and have a 3.4 and got 170 on the LSATS. I'd like to stay in Philly and am applying to Temple in a few months, but wanted to know if anyone had other suggestions. I don't mind relocating although I'm not sure if it will matter because I have pretty average stats. I can take the LSAT again in October and could see myself improving if only by a point or two. Is it worth taking again?

As far as the money part, I am interested in personal injury or any kind of law where I can eventually choose how much I want to make by deciding how hard/how much I want to work. I like the idea of not having a set salary, and although it's a gamble, I think it would motivate me. Basically I am asking what type of law is best to make the most money when I graduate and where I should apply with my stats. Can I even get into a top 20 school with a 3.4?

Thanks.


lol.

Read through TLS, do research on the legal field, then repost this question.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue May 31, 2011 4:57 pm

uh, penn?

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby The Gentleman » Tue May 31, 2011 5:03 pm

If you want to stay in Philly then apply early decision to UPenn.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue May 31, 2011 5:15 pm

duckmoney wrote:If you want scholarship, apply to a splitter-friendly school like WUSTL, IUB, or UIUC.


And GW, in my experience with similar numbers.

protein
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:44 am

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby protein » Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Definitely get your apps in early, i second the idea of ED'ing to upenn if you want to stay in philly

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 pm

If by "choose" how much and how hard you want to work, you mean have the option of a nice lifestyle, this is hard to achieve in law unless you do something like wills and trusts. Litigation of any kind, including personal injury, is extremely client-driven, meaning you have to work as hard as the cases demand. If you mean "the harder I work, the more I make" sense, that attitude will benefit you in any kind of law.

CPG2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CPG2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks for all the input. I don't really have extra curriculars and since my GPA is average I was unsure what my options are. Feeling good about the T20 potential. Did not know it was a possibility on LSATS alone. I'm pretty new to the process.

CPG2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CPG2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 am

NYC Law wrote:
CPG2011 wrote:I am a senior at temple and have a 3.4 and got 170 on the LSATS. I'd like to stay in Philly and am applying to Temple in a few months, but wanted to know if anyone had other suggestions. I don't mind relocating although I'm not sure if it will matter because I have pretty average stats. I can take the LSAT again in October and could see myself improving if only by a point or two. Is it worth taking again?

As far as the money part, I am interested in personal injury or any kind of law where I can eventually choose how much I want to make by deciding how hard/how much I want to work. I like the idea of not having a set salary, and although it's a gamble, I think it would motivate me. Basically I am asking what type of law is best to make the most money when I graduate and where I should apply with my stats. Can I even get into a top 20 school with a 3.4?

Thanks.


lol.

Read through TLS, do research on the legal field, then repost this question.


You, are an ass.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:06 am

You will get decent scholarships to schools like wustl and illinois and nearly a full ride (120k) at indiana if you apply. But none of these options are great for you unless you would not mind ending up in the midwest because most of these schools are somewhat regional. If you want to stay in philly ED to Penn is a no brainer and I would say that if you really work on those essays (yes write 2 of them at least) and have a great application you have a decent shot at penn. If I was you that would be my reach/goal, the rest of the lower t14 would get reach apps (cornell may be your best shot here), vandy and if you like texas are like your targets (as in not really that reachy or that backupy) and gw, wustl, bc, bu, fordham would be my backups along with a personal favorite backup like maybe temple to see if they give you a full ride (which I kind of doubt but its worth a shot). Also look for patterns on lsn.

Also, Id think about going to the best school possible before what area of law you want to practice unless you know or are already leaning towards something specific. You need to think about biglaw vs. pi vs govt more than specific practice areas while you are choosing a school.

CPG2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CPG2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 am

Is one or two points the difference between getting into a school like Penn? I know someone at Temple now who was wait listed at Penn with a 3.93 and 167. This person was also wait listed at Fordham at GWU, so that's what I was more or less basing my chances on. I take it the GPA doesn't necessarily balance out the LSAT?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 am

lawschoolnumbers.com may be helpful to you.

Many law schools are likely to offer you scholarship money covering most--or all--tuition & fees if you are willing to attend a solid, but not elite, law school.For possible scholarship money consider applying to:

Indiana-Bloomington
Iowa
Florida State
Alabama
Wake Forest
Emory
Illinois
WashUStL
Vanderbilt is also worth an application, but not a certainty.
Boston University
Minnesota
Temple
GWU is worth an ED application since it awards a lot of full tuition scholarships.

For elite law schools without the liklihood of merit money, consider applying to:

Penn-ED
Virginia-ED
Vanderbilt

There are many other law schools to consider, but those ranked among the Top 6 are unlikely to admit you. Nonetheless, for better info. check out lawschoolnumbers.com

P.S. One's LSAT score is the most important law school application factor. Many law schools buy high (above that law school's median LSAT score for matriculated students) LSAT scores barring unusual circumstances such as a criminal conviction or repeated drinking/drug issues.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby TheFactor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 am

CPG2011 wrote:Is one or two points the difference between getting into a school like Penn? I know someone at Temple now who was wait listed at Penn with a 3.93 and 167. This person was also wait listed at Fordham at GWU, so that's what I was more or less basing my chances on. I take it the GPA doesn't necessarily balance out the LSAT?

Your friend must have had either (1) an egregious error on his/her applications or (2) some type of criminal record. 167/3.93 should be a lock for lots of $$$ at GW and Fordham.

8ballistic
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 am

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby 8ballistic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 am

TheFactor wrote:
CPG2011 wrote:Is one or two points the difference between getting into a school like Penn? I know someone at Temple now who was wait listed at Penn with a 3.93 and 167. This person was also wait listed at Fordham at GWU, so that's what I was more or less basing my chances on. I take it the GPA doesn't necessarily balance out the LSAT?

Your friend must have had either (1) an egregious error on his/her applications or (2) some type of criminal record. 167/3.93 should be a lock for lots of $$$ at GW and Fordham.

Or yield protect.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby blink » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:05 am

CPG2011 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I don't really have extra curriculars and since my GPA is average I was unsure what my options are. Feeling good about the T20 potential. Did not know it was a possibility on LSATS alone. I'm pretty new to the process.


Listen, Elle Woods, its the LSAT not the LSATS. You are making half the people on here twitch when you say that. Get it right.

CPG2011
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby CPG2011 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:03 am

blink wrote:
CPG2011 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I don't really have extra curriculars and since my GPA is average I was unsure what my options are. Feeling good about the T20 potential. Did not know it was a possibility on LSATS alone. I'm pretty new to the process.


Listen, Elle Woods, its the LSAT not the LSATS. You are making half the people on here twitch when you say that. Get it right.


I don't care wtf the test is called, I got 170 on it. And according to people on here and everyone I've talked to that's a damn good score.

And Elle Woods is most likely a million times more attractive than you.

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby sonervous88 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 am

ED to Penn, EA to Cornell :)

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby Paraflam » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

CPG2011 wrote:
blink wrote:
CPG2011 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I don't really have extra curriculars and since my GPA is average I was unsure what my options are. Feeling good about the T20 potential. Did not know it was a possibility on LSATS alone. I'm pretty new to the process.


Listen, Elle Woods, its the LSAT not the LSATS. You are making half the people on here twitch when you say that. Get it right.


I don't care wtf the test is called, I got 170 on it. And according to people on here and everyone I've talked to that's a damn good score.

And Elle Woods is most likely a million times more attractive than you.


LOL @ unnecessarily defensive post (and blatant logical fallacy)

ArtVandalay
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 am

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby ArtVandalay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 pm

sonervous88 wrote:ED to Penn, EA to Cornell :)


I've heard that EA to Cornell doesn't really do/help anything?

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:22 pm

ArtVandalay wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:ED to Penn, EA to Cornell :)


I've heard that EA to Cornell doesn't really do/help anything?


If anything it hurts since you might get deferred and not receive a decision until March/April, after all the Regular Decision applicants.
EA should only be used if you clearly will get in and are just impatient.

Slevin Kelevra 2011
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Don't go to Temple.

Apply to schools in the T5-T14, and add the big coastal schools (USC, UCLA, BC, Bu, Fordham, GW). These schools place into the highest paying law firms in the country (big coastal firms).

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Where should I go to make the most $ ? 3.4, 170

Postby blink » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:37 pm

CPG2011 wrote:
blink wrote:
CPG2011 wrote:Thanks for all the input. I don't really have extra curriculars and since my GPA is average I was unsure what my options are. Feeling good about the T20 potential. Did not know it was a possibility on LSATS alone. I'm pretty new to the process.


Listen, Elle Woods, its the LSAT not the LSATS. You are making half the people on here twitch when you say that. Get it right.


I don't care wtf the test is called, I got 170 on it. And according to people on here and everyone I've talked to that's a damn good score.

And Elle Woods is most likely a million times more attractive than you.



:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laqueredup and 3 guests