uc davis vs cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

uc Davis vs Cornell

uc Davis
44%
Cornell
56%

Total votes: 70

Re: uc davis vs cornell

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:04 pm

If you want biglaw, you really need to do yourself a favor and go to Cornell. Plenty of CA firms do OCI there, and if you have ties, getting back shouldn't be hard at all. That said, your scholarship at Davis is massive, and there's a lot to be said for coming out of a T25 school with little-to-no debt.

My personal philosophy is that if you're on the fence about wanting to work for a massive firm, and you don't have debt, then you probably don't want to work for a massive firm. So congratulations on having two good choices. Either one is understandable, but if this were me I'd probably go to Cornell.

However, if you have questions about Davis, feel free to shoot me a PM or post ITT. I really do love it here and think it's a great school.

Noval

Postby Noval » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Fuck UC Davis, that place is slowly turning into a shit hole.

We're talking about the Legal market here, therefore you should go to the school that offers the best job prospects.

"Local placement" is a huge gamble and doesn't work out for everyone.

Go to Cornell or don't think about going to Law School, tired to see unemployed 3Ls crying on forums because they thought "Regional position" would secure them a decent job.

hellohello

Postby hellohello » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:03 am

Would you guys say that it's difficult for Cornell grads to find jobs in California?

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 am

Weather wise, I'd definitely go with Davis

hellohello

Postby hellohello » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:10 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:Weather wise, I'd definitely go with Davis

I know :(
If only I could base this decision on weather...

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 am

Noval wrote:Fuck UC Davis, that place is slowly turning into a shit hole.

We're talking about the Legal market here, therefore you should go to the school that offers the best job prospects.

Go to Cornell or don't think about going to Law School, tired to see unemployed 3Ls crying on forums because they thought "Regional position" would secure them a decent job.

Yes, nothing says "slowly turning into a shit hole" like rising through the rankings faster than any other law school in the United States. Might as well be Cooley!

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:21 pm

SBL wrote:
Noval wrote:Fuck UC Davis, that place is slowly turning into a shit hole.

Yes, nothing says "slowly turning into a shit hole" like rising through the rankings faster than any other law school in the United States. Might as well be Cooley!

Just because one school rises in the rankings will get you a job in a Legal Market where there's 3x more grads than jobs available nation wide, right ?

Okay, go to Davis :)

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:27 pm

hellohello wrote:Would you guys say that it's difficult for Cornell grads to find jobs in California?

Top 14 Schools are more nationwide friendly than others, so no, it won't be THAT hard to find a job in Cali, if you know how to play the game(Use alumni network, get good grades, being realist).

bogart

Postby bogart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Since when does "rising in the rankings" mean anything? Do you think employers actually know where the fuck davis is ranked? But I betcha they know cornell is an ivy league school.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I think either one would be alright. Just make sure that Davis has a good amount of PI orgs that interview on campus from Southern-California. If you're thinking about doing firm work for some years then coming to LA/So-Cal probably will be tougher since you'd have to compete with folks from USC/UCLA and everyone else from top national schools that want to work in LA.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:39 pm

For Biglaw, a Davis can't really compete well with the UCLA/USC grads in LA. OP, you really should attend Cornell, which has the Ivy national reach.

Noval

Postby Noval » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:16 pm

bogart wrote:Since when does "rising in the rankings" mean anything? Do you think employers actually know where the fuck davis is ranked? But I betcha they know cornell is an ivy league school.

True, you must be some bad ass retard to decline Cornell for a disaster mill such as Davis.

+ I don't give a fuck if you get funding from Davis, you want a job ? Cornell stays your best bet.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
chimp wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
hellohello wrote:they are need-based but the fin aid office and the dean have both stated that need-based grants dont change drastically throughout the 3 years..

That's pretty good marketing. Talk to any current 2L/3L UC law student. They are lying to you. You can also search TLS for threads on UC need-based grants. You are not getting them renewed.

Do you go to a UC law school? If not, OP, I suggest you ask someone who does.

That's exactly what I was suggesting when I told the OP to search TLS threads. I know a fair number of people at UC law schools, and they haven't had their grants renewed. But really, why would I intentionally provide misinformation? I'm not a 0L and I have no ties whatsoever to Davis or Cornell, unlike other posters in this thread with vested interests in their school.

OP, PM worldtraveler if you don't believe me.

"Cornell"beez has no vested interest

gjr8891

Postby gjr8891 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 pm

uh oh, the poll is all tied up :?

hellohello

Postby hellohello » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks for your input everyone! I guess I'll think about it some more and hopefully when I get Cornell's financial aid letter, my decision will become easier. It's such a stressful decision but I should still be very thankful for this choice I have.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Go to law school where you want to work. Your alumni connections will be far more valuable than the name on your diploma. Don't go to Cornell unless you are very rich and just want a totally different experience. You will likely end up not getting BigLaw in Cali unless you are at the top of the class, and with the bi-model nature of law, that will leave you with a small salary in Cali. You would be far better suited having gone to davis and gotten the small salary then having gone to Cornell for a variety of reasons, alumni connections being the most important, first and foremost.

Some will argue that it is going to be easy getting Cali Biglaw from Cornell and that is just not the case. Easier to get NYC Biglaw than for just about most top schools, yes, but you will need to be at the top of your class and network very well to get Biglaw summer gigs out of Cornell.

Find out about the $$ at Davis first, but my vote is Davis.

hellohello

Postby hellohello » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 am

more votes for cornell now...
i hope they get back to me about financial aid soon.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:31 pm

This is a tough call. If you can make the trip, I'd recommend visiting both schools and deciding based on the general vibe you get and where you see yourself most comfortable.

Personally, I was pretty set on either Boston College or UW before finally making the trip to Davis for ASD. Once I did, I knew there wasn't anywhere else I could spend my 3 years. Loved the people, the weather, the laid back feel of the city and I knew that I eventually wanted to settle down in California. But then again, Davis isn't a city for everyone; you really have to visit for yourself.

hellohello

Postby hellohello » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:06 am

jwmalone87 wrote:This is a tough call. If you can make the trip, I'd recommend visiting both schools and deciding based on the general vibe you get and where you see yourself most comfortable.

Personally, I was pretty set on either Boston College or UW before finally making the trip to Davis for ASD. Once I did, I knew there wasn't anywhere else I could spend my 3 years. Loved the people, the weather, the laid back feel of the city and I knew that I eventually wanted to settle down in California. But then again, Davis isn't a city for everyone; you really have to visit for yourself.

I was at Davis for ASD too and really liked the environment as well. I'm going to have to make a decision without visiting Cornell so that kind of scares me... If I were going to prioritize 'comfort' I would go to Davis, but I don't know how smart of a move that is...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”