Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
legaleagle9

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby legaleagle9 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:49 pm

OP here. First off, thank you guys for all the helpful replies. Secondly, I dont have any kids or anything, but I would just like to study in an environment that fits that description. And also, to contribute to the Berkeley safety discussion, there are many great parts around Berkeley, such as Danville(which happens to be my home town and current place of residence) which is literally a safe as a town could get. I could sleep on the side of the road with all my most valuable possessions and feel perfectly fine about it, and then there are places such as Richmond.
Last edited by legaleagle9 on Tue May 31, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 7:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.

I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime?

Fail.

I don't think Minnesotans get a vote on this one.

That's right. Because we all know northern-most states have significantly higher suicides per capita. It's not that Cornell is one of the most academically rigorous schools in the country with lots of bright and sometimes mentally unstable people - it's the clouds! No parent should raise their kids around snow.

Who knows what causes Cornell's suicide problem? It could be a lot of things, but I suspect awful weather doesn't help matters. Suicide aside, Cornell still provides a relatively barren existence compared to other top schools.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 7:55 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.

I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime?

Fail.

I don't think Minnesotans get a vote on this one.

That's right. Because we all know northern-most states have significantly higher suicides per capita. It's not that Cornell is one of the most academically rigorous schools in the country with lots of bright and sometimes mentally unstable people - it's the clouds! No parent should raise their kids around snow.

Who knows what causes Cornell's suicide problem? It could be a lot of things, but I suspect awful weather doesn't help matters. Suicide aside, Cornell still provides a relatively barren existence compared to other top schools.

And Duke is in the South. All these schools have something wrong with them if we're going that route.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 7:57 pm

ahduth wrote:And Duke is in the South. All these schools have something wrong with them if we're going that route.

Duke is in the south in the sense that D.C. is in the south.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:57 pm

Tanicius wrote:
And Duke is in the South. All these schools have something wrong with them if we're going that route.

Duke being in the south is a plus. I don't understand your point.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Depending how old the OP's kids are, I think Ann Arbor wins hands down. The public K-12 schools there are fabulous.

I dont know about schools in cville, but I have heard good things. cant really comment though

As a product of the A2 public school system, this is absolutely false. Unless you consider 40 kids to a class a good thing.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 8:03 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Point being, these are unsubstantiated opinions. Ithaca having a "barren existence" is not some sort of objective fact. Someone might love that, just like some people might love living in the South. Different strokes and all that.

And yeah, DC most definitely is in the South too. It just happens to be a much larger city.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
notanumber wrote:
chimp wrote: You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.

This is so true. There is absolutely no reason to EVER rent or buy property in Oakland.

-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.

I see what you did there - yeah I had the wrong idea about Oakland being from SoCal...I have lately learned that parts of it are pretty awesome...like any major city depends on the neighborhood - yet for some reason those not from NorCal seem pretty convinced that if you set foot within 50 miles of there you will get gunned down...

I think NorCal kids have very little to do with "the other side of the tracks." Neighborhoods and communities have a sharply divided feel to them. Hanging out up there when I was younger, I would have told you there wasn't a poor person in the whole area (aside from the homeless in San Fran, of course).

Southern California, particularly the LA area, seems to force people together. At least to an extent. I mean, come on. The symbol of the rich and powerful, USC, is surrounded by some of the most rundown neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

I just meant that NorCal people who have actually spent time in Oakland are aware there are many very nice parts of it and outsiders arent.

As far as SoCal forcing people together - I grew up here and my experience is that no city is more economically segregated on a practical level then LA. Some cities vary neighborhood to neighborhood others even block to block, you can go for a run your door in some of the nicest parts of SF, NY, Chi and DC and end up in some of the worst neighborhoods. In LA, unless you are a USC student, you pretty much have to accidentally get off the wrong freeway exit to encounter a neighborhood dramatically different then your own. With few exceptions the enclaves of wealth and power here are miles and miles from areas of poverty and crime and not connected by public transportation. Thats a good thing if you are rich but it definitely allows the wealthy and the powerful to be incredibly disconnected from the poor by distance and even from the upper middle class...

Not trashing LA, its my home just saying...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 8:40 pm

jtemp320 wrote:I grew up here and my experience is that no city is more economically segregated on a practical level then LA.

No way, Chicago has to be competitive here at a minimum. Economically AND racially segregated, it's pretty impressive to see.

Although the South Loop is actually a trendy neighborhood now, and the hipsters have been invading Pilsen for a few years... hmm. I dunno, for a long time Kenwood/Hyde Park was the only bastion of white people between Roosevelt and like.... far, far south like 120th Street. At any rate, you don't really just stumble into bad neighborhoods in Chicago, they're pretty specific to the south and west sides.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 8:55 pm

ahduth wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

Point being, these are unsubstantiated opinions. Ithaca having a "barren existence" is not some sort of objective fact. Someone might love that, just like some people might love living in the South. Different strokes and all that.

And yeah, DC most definitely is in the South too. It just happens to be a much larger city.

When people talk about "the South," they usually mean something other than land areas geographically south of the Mason–Dixon Line, as that would include, Colorado, Hawaii, and most of California which aren't considered "southern." Today, "the South," generally refers to areas where certain cultural, religious, and racial customs are prevalent, and as such, Maryland, D.C. and parts of Virginia are no longer widely considered parts of "the south." The Triangle is exactly the same way. It's about as "southern" as Miami.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 pm

KMaine wrote:From my experience in looking at Law Schools with my family:

Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Bullshit, I saw a shooting during ASW, that's why I'm attending SU Law instead.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 8:59 pm

dr123 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Depending how old the OP's kids are, I think Ann Arbor wins hands down. The public K-12 schools there are fabulous.

I dont know about schools in cville, but I have heard good things. cant really comment though

As a product of the A2 public school system, this is absolutely false. Unless you consider 40 kids to a class a good thing.

Class size isn't everything: http://www.brookings.edu/papers/2011/05 ... ingos.aspx

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue May 31, 2011 8:59 pm

ahduth wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:I grew up here and my experience is that no city is more economically segregated on a practical level then LA.

No way, Chicago has to be competitive here at a minimum. Economically AND racially segregated, it's pretty impressive to see.

Although the South Loop is actually a trendy neighborhood now, and the hipsters have been invading Pilsen for a few years... hmm. I dunno, for a long time Kenwood/Hyde Park was the only bastion of white people between Roosevelt and like.... far, far south like 120th Street. At any rate, you don't really just stumble into bad neighborhoods in Chicago, they're pretty specific to the south and west sides.

DC takes the cake on this one.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Tue May 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Ikki wrote:

Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Are you talking about this story?
I walked from through the town center at around that time, seemed like a perfectly normal place for a Saturday, didn't see anything amiss.

Odds are this wasn't a random shooting, so really this doesn't make Ithaca any less safe than any other town where two people have an "issue" with each other and access to firearms.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Tue May 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote: Also, I've yet to see a bad neighborhood in Berkeley, although I'm sure there are some. The area around the college is really nice.

Huh? The South Side, where the campus is located, is considered the worst part of Berkeley. It's not nice at all, and South Berkeley melds into Oakland. North Berkeley, past Solano Avenue, is nice.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:39 pm

quakeroats wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

Class size isn't everything: http://www.brookings.edu/papers/2011/05 ... ingos.aspx

But still, the A2 public school system is far from fabulous. Its definitely one of the worst in Washtenaw county.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue May 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Skyhook wrote:
Ikki wrote:

I walked from through the town center at around that time, seemed like a perfectly normal place for a Saturday, didn't see anything amiss.

Odds are this wasn't a random shooting, so really this doesn't make Ithaca any less safe than any other town where two people have an "issue" with each other and access to firearms.

YES! I was stupid enough to walk at 1:00am by myself, through a town I didn't know. There was a big party on that block and right as I passed by two black guys, they started grappling and I just heard about five shots.

david787

Postby david787 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 pm

I went to Cornell undergrad, I don't think it gets much safer.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Ikki wrote:
Skyhook wrote:
Ikki wrote:

YES! I was stupid enough to walk at 1:00am by myself, through a town I didn't know. There was a big party on that block and right as I passed by two black guys, they started grappling and I just heard about five shots.

Are you a:

A) Moron
B) Troll
C) All of the above

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

chimp wrote:
Are you a:

A) Moron
B) Troll
C) All of the above

Fellow Triton? I'll be in Peterson Hall tomorrow at 12:00pm wearing an Iron Maiden shirt, you can ask me then.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Ikki wrote:
chimp wrote:
Are you a:

A) Moron
B) Troll
C) All of the above

Fellow Triton? I'll be in Peterson Hall tomorrow at 12:00pm wearing an Iron Maiden shirt, you can ask me then.

LOL I should have known. Sorry graduated a year ago buddy :lol:

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 pm

chimp wrote:
Ikki wrote:
chimp wrote:
Are you a:

A) Moron
B) Troll
C) All of the above

I thought the obvious trolling was obvious. I'll definitely won't be missing La Jolla once I'm in Ithaca.

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

Ikki wrote:
chimp wrote:
Ikki wrote:
chimp wrote:
Are you a:

A) Moron
B) Troll
C) All of the above

I thought the obvious trolling was obvious. I'll definitely won't be missing La Jolla once I'm in Ithaca.

Then all you had to do was choose 'B'. I had a feeling you were trolling, but you never know...
Last edited by 071816 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 am

dr123 wrote:But still, the A2 public school system is far from fabulous. Its definitely one of the worst in Washtenaw county.

Sounds like you're one of the well off kids in the bubble I was talking about. If you think Ann Arbor doesn't have good public schools, you simply don't know what normal public schools are. Are there better in Michigan? Of course, but you're talking like Seaholm, Grove or Grosse Pointe type schools. In other words: other rich kid schools.

http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2010/am ... /list.html

Ann Arbor's schools usually show up on these kinds of lists.

It's all relative. We're still talking about public schools. Still, Ann Arbor is easily in the top 5% of all public schools in the state.

Reminds me of the girl I dated who beamed about what a social climber she was on account of her father only being a pediatric doctor.
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ikki

Postby Ikki » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:03 am

chimp wrote:
Then all you had to do was choose 'B' silly. I had a feeling you were trolling, but you never know...

Well, it's nice to see a fellow UCSD student (Hate saying triton, such a shitty mascot). Did you graduate in 4 years? I stayed a fifth year to do the MMFRP program. We might even know each other :o not likely

Return to “Choosing a Law School”