Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Law Sauce » Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Depending how old the OP's kids are, I think Ann Arbor wins hands down. The public K-12 schools there are fabulous.


I dont know about schools in cville, but I have heard good things. cant really comment though

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue May 31, 2011 4:36 pm

I don't know about the schools there either, but I would think they might be high on the list. If you go to school in NYC, you immediately need to look at private school options. Not likely on a law student's income! The schools in more suburban areas have a greater likelihood of having better schools, I would think. I know that many of the kids of profs at UMich are attending the AA public schools and getting into fabulous colleges and grad schools. As a parent of school-age kids, I would be most concerned about the kind of schools they would be attending. Three years is a long time in the life of a kid.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:44 pm

Curry wrote:I was walking around GULC at 3 in the morning when I visited without even the slightest concern for danger. Its about as safe as you can get.

DC is super block-by-block, especially in Capitol Hill. I can think of two areas just two blocks away from GULC that you definitely wouldn't want to be walking around alone in in the dead of night.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby danquayle » Tue May 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Depending how old the OP's kids are, I think Ann Arbor wins hands down. The public K-12 schools there are fabulous.


I dont know about schools in cville, but I have heard good things. cant really comment though


I've got to agree with the Ann Arbor thing... it's about as good as you're going to get for raising a kid: You've essentially got a bubble where the high schools are public yet largely populated by children are from fairly well off and intellectually engaged families that, if not employed by the university, have some ties to it. The city itself is big and affluent enough to support a pretty good cultural scene but not so large as to be hard to navigate or suffer from many big-city ills like crime or (outlandish) traffic. It retains a friendly Midwestern demeanor while experiencing a constant influx of out-of-staters to provide some cosmopolitan quality. Oh yeah, and Ann Arbor's labor market is largely recession proof due to the university and the hospital being the city's primary employers.

The rest of Michigan is hit or miss, but Ann Arbor is a pretty nice place to raise a family. Downsides are that the winter really sucks though, the people can be unbelievably pretentious, it's expensive (for Michigan) and you're liable to choke on the smug air... but that's fairly par for the course in these kinds of places.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Lwoods » Tue May 31, 2011 5:06 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:I don't know about the schools there either, but I would think they might be high on the list. If you go to school in NYC, you immediately need to look at private school options. Not likely on a law student's income! The schools in more suburban areas have a greater likelihood of having better schools, I would think. I know that many of the kids of profs at UMich are attending the AA public schools and getting into fabulous colleges and grad schools. As a parent of school-age kids, I would be most concerned about the kind of schools they would be attending. Three years is a long time in the life of a kid.


Unless you can get your kid(s) into Hunter. ;) There are actually a handful of really good public schools in NYC, but the admissions process is very competitive.

User avatar
ThomasMN
Posts: 300
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby ThomasMN » Tue May 31, 2011 5:15 pm

JDucreux wrote:
Hannibal wrote:And Ann Arbor is near Detroit, New York is near New York, etc.


Ann Arbor & Detroit are 40 miles apart


Anyone that thinks that Ann Arbor = Detroit in any way, shape, or form is kidding themselves and has never actually been to either city.

Also, New York is near New York?! NYC is certainly in New York...

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby notanumber » Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm

chimp wrote: You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.


This is so true. There is absolutely no reason to EVER rent or buy property in Oakland.

-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Law Sauce wrote:UVA. It is in Cville. The #1 best place to live in the us by forbes a couple years ago and in the top 5 or 10 best places to raise a family in the us. It is less urban, but for raising a family, I can't see any other t14 being better. (I know Ann Arbor is nice, but can't compete with cville for the weather and outdoor recreation opportunities.)

note: must be white

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 5:23 pm

notanumber wrote:-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.

don't worry, it will be decades before any of us are actually keeping enough of our paychecks to buy a house

User avatar
Saul Goodman
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Saul Goodman » Tue May 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Lwoods wrote:There are actually a handful of really good public schools in NYC, but the admissions process is very competitive.


Competitive isn't the word; you need to have lived in NYC before your kid was born and established residency and get them on a list (I assume you're referring to various Talented and Gifted programs...)

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Hyde Park hasn't been brought up as a bad area yet?


Kenwood / Hyde Park is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city. The area around UofC in particular is crawling with University cops. I don't think the neighborhood itself qualifies as a bad area.

Cross Cottage Grove, and I'll tell you a different story though. :)

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Bad ones:
Penn
GULC
Berkeley
Yale


LOL at Berkeley being unsafe.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 6:42 pm

notanumber wrote:
chimp wrote: You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.


This is so true. There is absolutely no reason to EVER rent or buy property in Oakland.

-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.



All right. I thought Chimp was "that" kid, and it is nice to know for sure. Also, are you a woman? I don't mean anything by it, other than I think there are different standards. I know there are areas I feel perfectly comfortable that I wouldn't take my wife.

However, given that this thread is about the five "safest" law schools in the t14, I will agree that Oakland probably isn't on that list. For a couple reasons.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:However, given that this thread is about the five "safest" law schools in the t14, I will agree that Oakland probably isn't on that list. For a couple reasons.

epic beard man?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 7:00 pm

KMaine wrote:From my experience in looking at Law Schools with my family:

Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Michigan - I think we got a similar feeling from AA that we did from Ithaca. Everybody seems friendly, schools seemed good.

Duke - I think if I had ended up going to Duke we would have lived in Chapel Hill or further out. I am not sure if you have school age kids, but schools in Durham are huge, and we wanted a smaller community for our kids.


Cornell has a violent crime problem all its own: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/educa ... rnell.html

Duke's about as safe as you'll find. While Durham is still living down its reputation from 20 years ago, Duke's law school is on the west campus a good distance from anything sketchy. If that seems problematic, you're free to live in Chapel Hill, Cary or other areas that skew wealthy and "safe." We regularly make it on best-places-to-live lists, our restaurants are often review in the NY Times, we have something like 15 colleges and universities, outdoor life is excellent, and friends with kids tell me our schools are fantastic. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill isn't a perfect suburban community, but it's damn close.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby KMaine » Tue May 31, 2011 7:12 pm

quakeroats wrote:
KMaine wrote:From my experience in looking at Law Schools with my family:

Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Michigan - I think we got a similar feeling from AA that we did from Ithaca. Everybody seems friendly, schools seemed good.

Duke - I think if I had ended up going to Duke we would have lived in Chapel Hill or further out. I am not sure if you have school age kids, but schools in Durham are huge, and we wanted a smaller community for our kids.


Cornell has a violent crime problem all its own: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/educa ... rnell.html

Duke's about as safe as you'll find. While Durham is still living down its reputation from 20 years ago, Duke's law school is on the west campus a good distance from anything sketchy. If that seems problematic, you're free to live in Chapel Hill, Cary or other areas that skew wealthy and "safe." We regularly make it on best-places-to-live lists, our restaurants are often review in the NY Times, we have something like 15 colleges and universities, outdoor life is excellent, and friends with kids tell me our schools are fantastic. Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill isn't a perfect suburban community, but it's damn close.


Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 7:17 pm

fatduck wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:However, given that this thread is about the five "safest" law schools in the t14, I will agree that Oakland probably isn't on that list. For a couple reasons.

epic beard man?



I wish I knew what this meant. I'm imagining an insane man with a fantastic beard terrorizing the streets at random with some kind of flamethrower and kitten gun.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby bk1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:17 pm

KMaine wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste


Wait, Cornell suicide jokes are in poor taste? But I thought Ithica was gorges!

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby fatduck » Tue May 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:However, given that this thread is about the five "safest" law schools in the t14, I will agree that Oakland probably isn't on that list. For a couple reasons.

epic beard man?


I wish I knew what this meant. I'm imagining an insane man with a fantastic beard terrorizing the streets at random with some kind of flamethrower and kitten gun.

sort of (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby jtemp320 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:20 pm

notanumber wrote:
chimp wrote: You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.


This is so true. There is absolutely no reason to EVER rent or buy property in Oakland.

-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.


I see what you did there - yeah I had the wrong idea about Oakland being from SoCal...I have lately learned that parts of it are pretty awesome...like any major city depends on the neighborhood - yet for some reason those not from NorCal seem pretty convinced that if you set foot within 50 miles of there you will get gunned down...

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 7:30 pm

KMaine wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.


I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime? We've got 1.7 million people, mild winters, lots of sun, and two Level I trauma centers just in case something happens.
Last edited by quakeroats on Tue May 31, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 31, 2011 7:30 pm

quakeroats wrote:
KMaine wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.


I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime?



Fail.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby quakeroats » Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
KMaine wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.


I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime?



Fail.


I don't think Minnesotans get a vote on this one.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
notanumber wrote:
chimp wrote: You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.


This is so true. There is absolutely no reason to EVER rent or buy property in Oakland.

-signed, notanumber, who desperately wants to keep the "Oakland is a shithole" myth alive so that he can buy a house there after law school.


I see what you did there - yeah I had the wrong idea about Oakland being from SoCal...I have lately learned that parts of it are pretty awesome...like any major city depends on the neighborhood - yet for some reason those not from NorCal seem pretty convinced that if you set foot within 50 miles of there you will get gunned down...


I think NorCal kids have very little to do with "the other side of the tracks." Neighborhoods and communities have a sharply divided feel to them. Hanging out up there when I was younger, I would have told you there wasn't a poor person in the whole area (aside from the homeless in San Fran, of course).

Southern California, particularly the LA area, seems to force people together. At least to an extent. I mean, come on. The symbol of the rich and powerful, USC, is surrounded by some of the most rundown neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
KMaine wrote:Not quite sure what you are getting at with the suicide article, kind of in poor taste, and I don't think OP was really worried about her kids committing suicide. I said I liked Durham, but the schools were a little big. I agree with what you say about the campus. It did not seem dangerous or voilent. I just thought the schools were better in Ithaca and possibly in Chapel Hill. Sorry if that skews a little "wealthy" for ya'. I would have been happy to raise my kids in the Durham area, we just made a different choice.


I'm pointing out that Ithaca is a depressing place to live. 300 days a year of cloud cover, 6 months of winter, and little outside of Ithaca (a tiny city of 30,000 with a metro area of 100k) makes for a rough existence. There might not be much violent crime, but why limit safety to crime?



Fail.


I don't think Minnesotans get a vote on this one.


That's right. Because we all know northern-most states have significantly higher suicides per capita. It's not that Cornell is one of the most academically rigorous schools in the country with lots of bright and sometimes mentally unstable people - it's the clouds! No parent should raise their kids around snow.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests