Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:58 am

flcath wrote: No, I haven't; nor have I been to New Haven. Or Detroit. Or Mogadishu. I know several Berkeley UGs, and I have spent time on the other side of the bay.

It's near Richmond, which is infamous for violent crime.

LOL really? Then by your logic, Stanford is bad too because it's NEAR East Palo Alto and Columbia is dangerous because it's NEAR Harlem. Oh and Ann Arbor is dangerous because it's NEAR Detroit. You can't just say that a place is not safe because it is near a high crime area, especially if you have never been there. How retarded.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue May 31, 2011 4:28 am

flcath wrote:Good ones:
Stanford
NYU
Michigan
UVA
Cornell

Bad ones:
Penn
GULC
Berkeley
Yale

GULC is close to a homeless shelter, but, other than that, NW D.C. (including Van Ness St.) seems to be a relatively safe area. I have spent considerable time there. It's clean, there are nice buildings in the area, round the clock shuttle service.

Columbia is located in Morningside Heights...near Harlem. It is a pretty safe area. So most of the T14 is located in safe areas, although Chicago, Yale and Penn might justifiably cause some concern.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 am

sundance95 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Stanford
NYU
Michigan
UVA
Cornell

Bad ones:
Penn
GULC
Berkeley
Yale

Berkeley is bad? You have never been to Berkeley have you?

Berkeley is bad, and I've been there. Stanford appearing on the 'good' list with the caveat that East Palo Alto is a shithole, although you probably would never have to go there if you didn't want to.

Also, NYU?

Edit: Away the hyperbole. But seriously, East Palo Alto isn't altogether that bad a spot.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 am

From my experience in looking at Law Schools with my family:

Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Michigan - I think we got a similar feeling from AA that we did from Ithaca. Everybody seems friendly, schools seemed good.

Duke - I think if I had ended up going to Duke we would have lived in Chapel Hill or further out. I am not sure if you have school age kids, but schools in Durham are huge, and we wanted a smaller community for our kids.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 am

legaleagle9 wrote:What are the top 5 safest schools in the top 14 in terms of quality of living? Schools that the area in which you live is very safe, very low in crime, a place that you could raise a family. thanks!

This question is odd. Are we assuming that COL isn't... considered? Because as people have proposed, NYU is in a really rather safe neighborhood. Raising a family in the Village requires you to be independently wealthy however. Northwestern is in a safe neighborhood, but the only people raising their families there are old Chicago money I'd think.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 am

Isn't Palo Alto one of the richest areas of the country?

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 am

My experience with most "unsafe" cities (cities with high crime ratings) is that crime is almost always neighborhood specific. Being safe is really just consists of 1) being alert and 2) knowing where not to go. Study the crime maps for patterns of these. College campuses are, for instance, often *near* bad areas but campus security keeps things within campus fairly safe.

That being said, if raising a child is your primary concern and you aren't fabulously wealthy, I would stay away from the big cities (Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, DC). Public school systems are generally not great there and I feel the QOL is a little more chaotic for young ones. If living in the suburbs and commuting is an option, that would change things.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 am

Also I just stumbled across this, which seemed relevant:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... 13/#slide1

East Bay cities appear twice on here. New Haven as well.

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Tue May 31, 2011 11:38 am

Too bad UT isn't considered legit t14. Austin is amazing.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am

Cupidity wrote:
Stanford
NYU
Michigan
UVA
Cornell
Yale

And how do you get NYU and not Columbia? I mean... I know they aren't exactly on top of each other, but really? And as for "raising a family"... bringing up a child in New Haven should be a crime.

Since when is Harlem safer than Greenwich?

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Stanford
NYU
Michigan
UVA
Cornell

Bad ones:
Penn
GULC
Berkeley
Yale

Berkeley is bad? You have never been to Berkeley have you?

Berkeley is bad, and I've been there. Stanford appearing on the 'good' list with the caveat that East Palo Alto is a shithole, although you probably would never have to go there if you didn't want to.

Also, NYU?

Edit: Away the hyperbole. But seriously, East Palo Alto isn't altogether that bad a spot.

You clearly haven't been there then.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 pm

I was walking around GULC at 3 in the morning when I visited without even the slightest concern for danger. Its about as safe as you can get.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue May 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Curry wrote:I was walking around GULC at 3 in the morning when I visited without even the slightest concern for danger. Its about as safe as you can get.

Cept for them job prospects.

BOOM. LAWYERED.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 pm

czelede wrote:Also I just stumbled across this, which seemed relevant:

LOL. You think Stockton is part of the Bay.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

I'll admit the list is different for boys and girls. Berkeley is fine and East Palo Alto isn't a big deal. There is certainly an element to both Berkeley and Oakland, and places you may not want to be, but the cities are by and large very safe places. I'm not sure if Oakland's crime rates are still astronomical or not (I'm just talking from spending good time in the area, like two or three months a year) but I can say that, regardless of how high it is, it is very localized.

East Palo Alto is different, but no worse than most of the suburbs around LA or even Anaheim. Also, no reason to go to East Palo Alto if you don't want and, again, whatever crime there is seems to stay there.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking...

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue May 31, 2011 12:58 pm

shoeshine wrote:

Clearly I was born and bred in NorCal, haha. All I saw was "East of SF".

Edited because I can't type today.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:

I'll admit the list is different for boys and girls. Berkeley is fine and East Palo Alto isn't a big deal. There is certainly an element to both Berkeley and Oakland, and places you may not want to be, but the cities are by and large very safe places. I'm not sure if Oakland's crime rates are still astronomical or not (I'm just talking from spending good time in the area, like two or three months a year) but I can say that, regardless of how high it is, it is very localized.

East Palo Alto is different, but no worse than most of the suburbs around LA or even Anaheim. Also, no reason to go to East Palo Alto if you don't want and, again, whatever crime there is seems to stay there.

You are clearly very misinformed. Most areas of Oakland are quite sketchy. I agree that Berkeley is not that bad (although it does have some sketchy neighborhoods). Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go to East Palo Alto? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten most dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but this is an indisputable fact.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm

chimp wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

You are clearly very misinformed. Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go there? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but these are indisputable facts.

I still don't think you've ever really been to the bay.

Or, you're one of those intolerable kids who thinks everywhere outside of three or four neighborhoods is slum. I know you just said you weren't that guy, but the fact that you felt the need to bring it up at all sort of makes me think it.

I said Oakland might still be fairly dangerous, and that I was unfamiliar with the data, but it is also fairly contained to a few of the worst spots. As a guy you can move about Oakland fairly freely without ever feeling uncomfortable.

Also, I've yet to see a bad neighborhood in Berkeley, although I'm sure there are some. The area around the college is really nice.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:08 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
chimp wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:

You are clearly very misinformed. Also, did I ever say that there is a reason to go there? It is not a safe area by any means. Also, Oakland was named one of the top ten dangerous cities in 2010. I am not one of these people that think every place is ghetto or anything, but these are indisputable facts.

I still don't think you've ever really been to the bay.

Or, you're one of those intolerable kids who thinks everywhere outside of three or four neighborhoods is slum. I know you just said you weren't that guy, but the fact that you felt the need to bring it up at all sort of makes me think it.

I said Oakland might still be fairly dangerous, and that I was unfamiliar with the data, but it is also fairly contained to a few of the worst spots. As a guy you can move about Oakland fairly freely without ever feeling uncomfortable.

Also, I've yet to see a bad neighborhood in Berkeley, although I'm sure there are some. The area around the college is really nice.

You are just ignorant. And for the record I live in the bay area.

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue May 31, 2011 1:09 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Curry wrote:I was walking around GULC at 3 in the morning when I visited without even the slightest concern for danger. Its about as safe as you can get.

Cept for them job prospects.

BOOM. LAWYERED.

Lawl. well played.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:07 pm

The area around NU is nice hotels, restaurants, a couple of museums, upscale shopping, the hospital and fancy high-rises condos and apartments. Like someone else said, it's not really family-oriented living for most people, but it seemed quite safe when I visted. I walked around alone (I'm a chick) at midnight-ish several nights and didn't feel uncomfortable. Walking down frat row at UChi in broad daylight with all the frat bros sitting around in their front yards (it was 80°) felt sketchier.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue May 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Hyde Park hasn't been brought up as a bad area yet?

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue May 31, 2011 4:25 pm

Depending how old the OP's kids are, I think Ann Arbor wins hands down. The public K-12 schools there are fabulous.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 pm

UVA. It is in Cville. The #1 best place to live in the us by forbes a couple years ago and in the top 5 or 10 best places to raise a family in the us. It is less urban, but for raising a family, I can't see any other t14 being better. (I know Ann Arbor is nice, but can't compete with cville for the weather and outdoor recreation opportunities.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”