Top 5 safest schools in the top 14? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Platinum

Re: Top 5 safest schools in the top 14?

Post by 071816 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:06 am

Ikki wrote:
chimp wrote:
Then all you had to do was choose 'B' silly. I had a feeling you were trolling, but you never know...
Well, it's nice to see a fellow UCSD student (Hate saying triton, such a shitty mascot). Did you graduate in 4 years? I stayed a fifth year to do the MMFRP program. We might even know each other :o not likely
LOL yea I graduated in 4 years (technically 3 and one quarter). I don't really see too many of us on this site. What college you in?

Edit: If you don't want to further derail this thread feel free to PM me. If not, that's fine too.l
Last edited by 071816 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:08 am

danquayle wrote:
dr123 wrote: But still, the A2 public school system is far from fabulous. Its definitely one of the worst in Washtenaw county.
Sounds like you're one of the well off kids in the bubble I was talking about. If you think Ann Arbor doesn't have good public schools, you simply don't know what normal public schools are. Are there better in Michigan? Of course, but you're talking like Seaholm, Grove or Grosse Pointe type schools. In other words: other rich kid schools.

http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2010/am ... /list.html

Ann Arbor's schools usually show up on these kinds of lists.

It's all relative. We're still talking about public schools. Still, Ann Arbor is easily in the top 5% of all public schools in the state.
Since when are any of those schools in Washtenaw County? I'm talking about Saline, Chelsea, Manchester, Tecumseh, etc...

A2 public schools are by no means bad but they're not particularly impressive, esp compared to the surrounding area. I'm sure its gotten better since Ive graduated and they've opened up Skyline, but while I was in HS it was incredibly overcrowded and my HS had a graduation rate that was 20% lower than the schools I listed above.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 am

dr123 wrote:
danquayle wrote:
dr123 wrote: But still, the A2 public school system is far from fabulous. Its definitely one of the worst in Washtenaw county.
Sounds like you're one of the well off kids in the bubble I was talking about. If you think Ann Arbor doesn't have good public schools, you simply don't know what normal public schools are. Are there better in Michigan? Of course, but you're talking like Seaholm, Grove or Grosse Pointe type schools. In other words: other rich kid schools.

It's all relative. We're still talking about public schools. Still, Ann Arbor is easily in the top 5% of all public schools in the state.
Since when are any of those schools in Washtenaw County? I'm talking about Saline, Chelsea, Manchester, Tecumseh, etc...

A2 public schools are by no means bad but they're not particularly impressive, esp compared to the surrounding area. I'm sure its gotten better since Ive graduated and they've opened up Skyline, but while I was in HS it was incredibly overcrowded and my HS had a graduation rate that was 20% lower than the schools I listed above.
I've never heard any of those schools called good, let alone better than Ann Arbor public schools, except for Chelsea. I'm basing this off both anecdote and publication rankings.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/01 ... ols/24.htm

Edit: But it wouldn't surprise me if Washtenaw schools as a whole are better than the region, which only bolsters the point that the Ann Arbor region has good schools overall.
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:19 am

K, Im basing it off personal experience and the fact that my class had a graduating class in 60%s and those were all in the 80s and 90s

EDIT yea, my HS isnt listed in any of these rankings.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 am

Also anyone who claims PiHi or Stone is better than Saline is out of their mind

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:36 am

dr123 wrote:Also anyone who claims PiHi or Stone is better than Saline is out of their mind
http://education.usnews.rankingsandrevi ... etail+less

Like I said, every ranking I've ever seen has Ann Arbor Public Schools ranked highly. --> Ann Arbor schools were the only recognized Washtenaw schools here. Pioneer is palatial compared to most public schools. And across the street from Michigan Stadium. Not bad.

But I'm not going to derail this thread with a battle over Ann Arbor Public High Schools. I'll take your word than Saline is better than Pioneer. but that's just proving my point that the Ann Arbor area has a bunch of strong public schools.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:40 am

A2 area has great schools, but attending the great schools requires living in a dump like Chelsea. The only really good A2 school Id say is Huron, and Im sure PiHi has probably gotten better since they opened up Skyline, but Stone, Roberto Clemente, etc... are shitholes.

k, done derailing this thread.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:32 am

I just meant that NorCal people who have actually spent time in Oakland are aware there are many very nice parts of it and outsiders arent.

As far as SoCal forcing people together - I grew up here and my experience is that no city is more economically segregated on a practical level then LA. Some cities vary neighborhood to neighborhood others even block to block, you can go for a run your door in some of the nicest parts of SF, NY, Chi and DC and end up in some of the worst neighborhoods. In LA, unless you are a USC student, you pretty much have to accidentally get off the wrong freeway exit to encounter a neighborhood dramatically different then your own. With few exceptions the enclaves of wealth and power here are miles and miles from areas of poverty and crime and not connected by public transportation. Thats a good thing if you are rich but it definitely allows the wealthy and the powerful to be incredibly disconnected from the poor by distance and even from the upper middle class...

Not trashing LA, its my home just saying...
I'm surprised that has been your experience. I think the freeway culture sort of adds to the hegemony, really. Of course, it means that our housing is as segregated as anyone else, but in terms of activity I think SoCal takes the cake. Where kids from Dublin might have never been to The Richmond district, kids in SoCal from La Jolla are regularly running up to Pomona to catch a show, or eat a plate of Chili Verde.

CPG2011

New

Post by CPG2011 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Not sure, but I know sure as hell that Penn is out.
False.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:26 pm

CPG2011 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Not sure, but I know sure as hell that Penn is out.
False.
Fact. Bears. Beets. BattleStar Gallactica.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am

KMaine wrote:Cornell (I go there) - A very safe place. If you have a family, you may choose to live away from Collegetown which seems to be where all the crime tends to be (mostly late-night assaults/robberies involving drunk people). I have not heard of a single rape-stabbing. It has been a GREAT place to raise kids, good schools: welcoming community, lots of sports and events kids can get involved in. Beautiful area with waterfalls, great places to hike, swimming if you decide to stay in town 1L summer. If you don't mind the weather, I would recommend it. Being in Ithaca with children is the reason I decided to go to Cornell.

Michigan - I think we got a similar feeling from AA that we did from Ithaca. Everybody seems friendly, schools seemed good.
This is good and accurate advice.
Silicon Valley may be a great place to raise a family if you have the money for it.
The NYC schools would be similarly expensive. This is why Cornell, Michigan, or perhaps even UVA would probably be the best bets if you want to raise a family.

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm

danquayle wrote:

Reminds me of the girl I dated who beamed about what a social climber she was on account of her father only being a pediatric doctor.

Aw yeah my school is number 3 :lol:

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Light wrote:Aw yeah my school is number 3 :lol:
WTH my high school isn't even listed. The list is borked. Unless my school was excluded for some reason.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”