BLS just offered me a full ride but...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BLS (Full ride) vs SHU (Full ride)

BLS (Full ride)
93%
SHU (Full ride)
7%

Total votes: 14

paul7lee

BLS just offered me a full ride but...

Postby paul7lee » Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 am

...I already put in my first deposit at Seton Hall who also gave me a full ride. SHU's stipulation is top 50%. I believe BLS is top 40%. I'm not sure what I want exactly in terms of job prospects after graduation except that I want to practice litigation. I'm really open and fine with anything from boutique firms to big law firms and also public service positions as well. Also I always wanted to live in Brooklyn and would much rather live amongst the hipsters there than the gangbangers in Newark, although this is not the most important thing to consider.

However, I visited Newark several times already and met with profs, alumni, students and got a great vibe. I haven't even visited BLS yet though I definitely will now.

Just based off all of this, do you think I should go to BLS or SHU?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last edited by paul7lee on Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocon7383

Re: BLS just offered me a full ride but...

Postby rocon7383 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 am

paul7lee wrote:...I already put in my first deposit at Seton Hall who also gave me a full ride. SHU's stipulation is top 50%. I believe BLS is top 40%. I'm not sure what I want exactly in terms of job prospects after graduation except that I want to practice litigation. I'm really open and fine with anything from boutique firms to big law firms and also public service positions as well. Also I always wanted to live in Brooklyn and would much rather live amongst the hipsters there than the gangbangers in Newark, although this is not the most important thing to consider.

However, I visited Newark several times already and met with profs, alumni, students and got a great vibe. I haven't even visited BLS yet though I definitely will now.

Just based off all of this, do you think I should go to BLS or SHU?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

how'd you negotiate that scholarship up?

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 am

I didn't. I actually rebuffed them twice when they offered their first scholly at $10,900 and then again at $22K. I got an email from them on Friday saying it went up to $47K. The only thing I did do was when I rejected them the second time, I told them why I was going with SHU (ie. full ride, distinguished scholars program).

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:37 am

paul7lee wrote:I didn't. I actually rebuffed them twice when they offered their first scholly at $10,900 and then again at $22K. I got an email from them on Friday saying it went up to $47K. The only thing I did do was when I rejected them the second time, I told them why I was going with SHU (ie. full ride, distinguished scholars program).

wowwww.... Did you send them a deposit at all?? When'd you apply?

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue May 31, 2011 2:02 am

Get them to match the 50% stipulation (which I assume you could do easily), and I'd go to BLS. I think it has a better name in its market.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 am

go to BLS either way.

Perch

Postby Perch » Tue May 31, 2011 7:32 am

bartleby wrote:go to BLS either way.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 am

Hands down BLS

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue May 31, 2011 9:25 am

blacklawboss wrote:Hands down BLS

And don't worry about your deposit. What's 200-300 in the great schemes of things (150-200K)?

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Tue May 31, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks for your two cents!

The deposit was actually $500 but I'm not too worried about that. My gut does tell me BLS is a better option but I have to go check out the school and see what it's like get in touch with my friends who are there now or graduated already.

For those who think BLS is a better option hands down, why do you say that? SHU did jump 11 spots in the USNR from 72 to 61 this year while BLS stayed steady at 67.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 am

paul7lee wrote:Thanks for your two cents!

The deposit was actually $500 but I'm not too worried about that. My gut does tell me BLS is a better option but I have to go check out the school and see what it's like get in touch with my friends who are there now or graduated already.

For those who think BLS is a better option hands down, why do you say that? SHU did jump 11 spots in the USNR from 72 to 61 this year while BLS stayed steady at 67.

Alumni

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Newark...

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue May 31, 2011 2:36 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Hands down BLS

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue May 31, 2011 6:49 pm

BLS unless you are deadset on practicing in NJ. Rankings at that level are not very meaningful.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue May 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Also, law school visits are not really a place you should "trust your gut" unless all other factors are equal. You're not going to law school for the people or the vibes or the atmosphere, you're going to get a job. BLS will give you better chances unless you really want NJ. Plus ultimately law school is not fun anywhere.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 pm

BLS' stipulation is top 40% while SHU's is 50%. From what I can gather, it seems that BLS is more competitive than SHU. Any thoughts on this?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 am

paul7lee wrote:BLS' stipulation is top 40% while SHU's is 50%. From what I can gather, it seems that BLS is more competitive than SHU. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe, but doesn't sound like enough of a difference to change your decision. At either school you have a not insignificant chance of losing your scholarship and you should work your butt off to avoid that fate.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
paul7lee wrote:BLS' stipulation is top 40% while SHU's is 50%. From what I can gather, it seems that BLS is more competitive than SHU. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe, but doesn't sound like enough of a difference to change your decision. At either school you have a not insignificant chance of losing your scholarship and you should work your butt off to avoid that fate.

And if you lose your scholarship, you should just walk away and don't look back.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:33 pm

w/ a full scholarship, wouldn't BLS' COA still be around 100k?

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

bartleby wrote:w/ a full scholarship, wouldn't BLS' COA still be around 100k?

Sounds a bit high -- do you really need $33k/year tax-free to live in Brooklyn? BLS has below-market student housing near the school, and if you don't want that you can easily find a room within a short commute of the school for $700-1000/mo.

Granted living in Newark is going to be cheaper -- rent, groceries and even going out will all set you back less, plus you probably won't go out as much in the first place because, um, Newark.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:19 pm

Although it's fairly late in the game I still urge you to contact the career services offices at both schools asking for complete employer lists for the Class of 2010. Both submitted the data to NALP back in March and can readily answer some fairly basic questions, such as:

-the number (not percentage) of graduates who found full-time legal employment (not counting graduates employed with temp agencies, which may or may not qualify as full-time legal employment)
-a list of every legal employer who hired a 2010 graduate, including office location (city/state)
-the total number of graduates, regardless of employment status (known/unknown, employed/unemployed, etc)
-the median private salaries for graduates who reported salary, and the number of graduates in the private sector who actually reported salary (and if they have them, the 25th/75th percentiles for salary as well)
-any other information the school wants to provide regarding gaps in the information, as well as their reasonable estimation of what the unknown graduates were doing for work.

The relative candor of each school may help you answer some questions about which one is worth up to two years of full tuition, the three years of lost earnings and three years of living expenses. Contingent scholarships are difficult to factor in, but with a 50/50 chance of losing it you should average one full year of tuition.

For the Class of 2009, the best placement year on record, neither school offers up information on what at least half the class was making for salary. Our general advice is that absent a decision by the school to actually provide you with the Class of 2010 data, you should cut all percentages by about half to adjust for the significant drop in the hiring market. More specifically:

Just 27% of BLS grads reported making $70K or more in 2009. You do not know what the other 63% made, except for the 13% who were unemployed and reported as such. Half the class is completely unaccounted for in the salary data.
Just 18% of Seton Hall grads reported making $95K or more in 2009. You do not know what the other 82% made, except for the 6% who were unemployed and reported as such. Over 3/4s of the class is completely unaccounted for in the salary data.
Source: U.S. News data illustrated in LST's clearinghouse: --LinkRemoved--

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Wow. Observationalist, that is super helpful. I'm going to give both schools a ring tomorrow to gather that employment info. There's a good chance I'll be attending BLS given the fact that COL is similar, Brooklyn is just a better neighborhood, and employment prospects seem to be overall better for NYC.

I asked if the $500 deposit that I put in SHU would be compensated for by BLS but no can do. I have until Monday to decide and will be visiting the campus on Friday. One of my friends ended his first year as top 13% and now has a big firm job for the summer. Although he does qualify that by saying there are plenty of people ahead of him did not have a job at all. However, I would imagine that this reality will be mirrored if not worse at SHU.

I do feel much more comfortable with the idea of attending BLS than SHU however.

All of your continued thoughts are much appreciated.

paul7lee

Postby paul7lee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
bartleby wrote:w/ a full scholarship, wouldn't BLS' COA still be around 100k?

Sounds a bit high -- do you really need $33k/year tax-free to live in Brooklyn? BLS has below-market student housing near the school, and if you don't want that you can easily find a room within a short commute of the school for $700-1000/mo.

Granted living in Newark is going to be cheaper -- rent, groceries and even going out will all set you back less, plus you probably won't go out as much in the first place because, um, Newark.

I plan on borrowing around the same for living expenses/books/insurance/etc. and I estimate that to be around $20K/year. Apparently, BLS doesn't allow for their full ride schollys to rise in step with tuition increases. One of my friends who is a rising 3L had a full ride and for his 2L, only had to pay 5% of the year. That comes out to around $2300. Not bad. Not good, but not bad considering BLS should give me more of a chance for a NYC job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”