URGENT: W&M (60K scholarship) vs Cardozo (full ride)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AP-375

Re: URGENT: W&M (60K scholarship) vs Cardozo (full ride)?

Postby AP-375 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Soar wrote:W&M grads tend to place well in the entire Northeast. The reason many of them stay in the VA/DC area is due to their preference for that region, not lack of opportunity elsewhere.

Yeah, not to pile it on needlessly, but I've spoken with enough alumni in Southern California, Texas, and other markets to believe it has really good national placement relative to rank.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 pm

AP-375 wrote:Yeah, not to pile it on needlessly, but I've spoken with enough alumni in Southern California, Texas, and other markets to believe it has really good national placement relative to rank.

That's like saying a 2 story building is really tall compared to a bunch of 1 story buildings when you are surrounded by skyscrapers. Just because it has better national placement than its peers does not mean its national placement is objectively "good."

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Yeah, not to pile it on needlessly, but I've spoken with enough alumni in Southern California, Texas, and other markets to believe it has really good national placement relative to rank.

That's like saying a 2 story building is really tall compared to a bunch of 1 story buildings when you are surrounded by skyscrapers. Just because it has better national placement than its peers does not mean its national placement is objectively "good."

TITCR

bubbletea

Postby bubbletea » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:22 pm

How about its placement in NYC relative to Cardozo's?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
bk1 wrote:

TITCR

Thanks guys. That's why I didn't make an objective claim. (Besides, if you're limiting you're view to only the top 20 or so, yeah, W&M's national placement might not be objectively "good." Not even close. But if you're looking at the schools mentioned in this thread, or the entire T1, or all of the other 150+ schools ranked below it, that's a different story.)

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:05 pm

AP-375 wrote:
Thanks guys. That's why I didn't make an objective claim. (Besides, if you're limiting you're view to only the top 20 or so, yeah, W&M's national placement might not be objectively "good." Not even close. But if you're looking at the schools mentioned in this thread, or the entire T1, or all of the other 150+ schools ranked below it, that's a different story.)

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here...
Compared to Duke it's awful and compared to Cardozo it's great.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:07 pm

AP-375 wrote:Thanks guys. That's why I didn't make an objective claim. (Besides, if you're limiting you're view to only the top 20 or so, yeah, W&M's national placement might not be objectively "good." Not even close. But if you're looking at the schools mentioned in this thread, or the entire T1, or all of the other 150+ schools ranked below it, that's a different story.)

Which makes it pointless to talk about. T3 schools are pretty good in comparison to T4 schools, but why even bring that up?

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Thanks guys. That's why I didn't make an objective claim. (Besides, if you're limiting you're view to only the top 20 or so, yeah, W&M's national placement might not be objectively "good." Not even close. But if you're looking at the schools mentioned in this thread, or the entire T1, or all of the other 150+ schools ranked below it, that's a different story.)

Which makes it pointless to talk about. T3 schools are pretty good in comparison to T4 schools, but why even bring that up?

Because it allows him to hide behind the weakness of his first argument.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Ouch guys. What's with the hostility? Just trying to contribute to the bottom line of the thread:
Duke's the best option here, W&M's not bad, and Cordozo may be fine.

bubbletea

Postby bubbletea » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Does TITCR=this is the correct response?

Recently stumbled upon this depressing website with even more dozo bashing http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/se ... m+and+mary

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:22 pm

bubbletea wrote:Does TITCR=this is the correct response?

Recently stumbled upon this depressing website with even more dozo bashing http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/se ... m+and+mary

TBF, those scam blogs are pure shit.

TITCR = This is the credited response (same thing pretty much)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 pm

AP-375 wrote:Ouch guys. What's with the hostility? Just trying to contribute to the bottom line of the thread:

I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just trying to clear up comments like yours regarding W&M's regionality. When people say statements like "W&M is pretty national compared to its rank" it implies that W&M actually has some decent level of nationality otherwise why even bring it up. That's why I think bringing up those sorts of irrelevant things are detrimental.

bubbletea

Postby bubbletea » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:35 pm

So basically, Duke or wait a year or I'm SOL...

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Ouch guys. What's with the hostility? Just trying to contribute to the bottom line of the thread:

I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm just trying to clear up comments like yours regarding W&M's regionality. When people say statements like "W&M is pretty national compared to its rank" it implies that W&M actually has some decent level of nationality otherwise why even bring it up. That's why I think bringing up those sorts of irrelevant things are detrimental.

Ok, well obviously we have some differing opinions here, and the employment data definitely show that W&M places most in VA first, and DC second. But I'm also adding my (purely anecdotal) evidence that after talking to at least 20 attorneys (alumni and not) in my Texas firm, SoCal, and other places, I'm convinced that W&M has good enough national name recognition to land a good job outside of its primary markets if you work at it.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

bubbletea wrote:So basically, Duke or wait a year or I'm SOL...

It's Duke, Duke + a year or two deferral which we usually do as long as you aren't accepted off the waitlist, or find something else to do entirely.

Soar

Postby Soar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 pm

What did you decide? If not Duke, you should really have all your offers rescinded and given away to people that will actually appreciate them.

For NYC: Duke>Cardozo>W&M
Other Markets: Duke>W&M>Cardozo

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Soar wrote:What did you decide? If not Duke, you should really have all your offers rescinded and given away to people that will actually appreciate them.

For NYC: Duke>Cardozo>W&M
Other Markets: Duke>W&M>Cardozo

Did you not know about his Duke option when you first started posting in this thread? If so your posts make more sense now.

Soar

Postby Soar » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Did not know about the Duke offer and simply responded to the stated question earlier.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”