URGENT: W&M (60K scholarship) vs Cardozo (full ride)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bubbletea

New

URGENT: W&M (60K scholarship) vs Cardozo (full ride)?

Post by bubbletea » Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm

W&M (#27) and has given me a guaranteed almost full ride (20k/yr & tuition is 26K) while Cardozo (#50) has given me guaranteed full tuition. Neither scholarship is contingent upon performance as long as I don't fail out, and the debt will be roughly equal due to the higher cost of living in NYC. I feel that the "practical" choice would be to go to W&M, as I'm not sure where I want to practice & want to have a shot at big law. However, the idea of living in Williamsburg for 3 years makes me cringe and I doubt I'd want to live in VA after law school. Would it be totally impractical to go to a much lower ranked school due to a short term geographic preference?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: URGENT: W&M (60K scholarship) vs Cardozo (full ride)?

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Forget big law.

If you don't want to work in VA and are indifferent to NYC, the choice is easy.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 pm

The percentage of grads going to NLJ250 firms in comparable from each of these two schools (roughly 15%). Cardozo places in NYC, WM in VA and DC. Pick where you want to live.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Honestly have you considered trying again next cycle? Retaking optional (but may as well).

Cardozo isn't going to get you big law and you don't want to be in VA, so making a last minute rushed decision to attend one of these schools just because you want to be in law school next year seems like a huge mistake. These aren't awful options, but for what you want, these aren't the best options.

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 pm

I could also go to Fordham, but my scholarship there of 15K/year seemed less practical (because I am risk averse and there is no guarantee that I'll get a biglaw job)

I'm really eager to go to law school next year because I'm spinning my wheels now, already quit my secretarial job, and am ready for the next step...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 pm

bubbletea wrote:I could also go to Fordham, but my scholarship there of 15K/year seemed less practical (because I am risk averse and there is no guarantee that I'll get a biglaw job)

I'm really eager to go to law school next year because I'm spinning my wheels now, already quit my secretarial job, and am ready for the next step...
Cardozo full ride > Fordham near sticker.

Quit thinking about big law. Big law shouldn't be in the equation unless you are talking T14.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 pm

I faced a similar decision and went with Fordham at 7.5k over Cardozo at 34k. Even a full ride at Cardozo is going to be close to six figures once you factor in cost of living, and out of the schools given Fordham is your only reasonable shot at big law (though still not a 'great' shot). Sometimes you just have to take a gamble.

But if the Fordham debt is out of the question, go to Cardozo.

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Mon May 30, 2011 2:24 pm

i was under the impression that biglaw would be a possibility if i stayed in the top 10% of the class at cardozo or w&m...not so?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 2:33 pm

bubbletea wrote:i was under the impression that biglaw would be a possibility if i stayed in the top 10% of the class at cardozo or w&m...not so?
Probably so, but being top 10% isn't something you can count on.
At least with Fordham it will be a possibility if you're top third-ish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Mon May 30, 2011 2:39 pm

hm, how about if i'm in the top 1/3 at w&m (ranked 27) and want to do biglaw in nyc? although fordham has a better reputation in the city, w&m is technically ranked higher.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 2:44 pm

bubbletea wrote:hm, how about if i'm in the top 1/3 at w&m (ranked 27) and want to do biglaw in nyc? although fordham has a better reputation in the city, w&m is technically ranked higher.
Ranking doesnt matter outside of the top 14 schools, after that its all about regional heirarchy.
If you cant get T13, Fordham is as good as it gets for NYC, followed by Cardozo/Brooklyn/St. Johns

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm

I also got into Duke but didn't want to pay sticker. After spending time on this website, I'm beginning to regret that decision...

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 3:42 pm

bubbletea wrote:I also got into Duke but didn't want to pay sticker. After spending time on this website, I'm beginning to regret that decision...
:shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Call Duke, and ask them if they got your deposit because you think it was lost in the mail....

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Mon May 30, 2011 4:04 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Call Duke, and ask them if they got your deposit because you think it was lost in the mail....

Lmao... If you are risk adverse go with cardozo. W&M outside of va doesn't mean much. Duke with debt is best option overall. Crawl back to them.

whattheheck

New

Post by whattheheck » Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm

NYC Law wrote:I faced a similar decision and went with Fordham at 7.5k over Cardozo at 34k. Even a full ride at Cardozo is going to be close to six figures once you factor in cost of living, and out of the schools given Fordham is your only reasonable shot at big law (though still not a 'great' shot). Sometimes you just have to take a gamble.

But if the Fordham debt is out of the question, go to Cardozo.

I am wondering where in the WORLD are people getting their calculations from with COL in NYC?? Of course if you live in the Manhattan you will be FOOLISHLY paying this amount but wouldn't common sense tell you to find somewhere other than the midst of Manhattan to live in to cut costs. You can easily get a one bedroom for 1200 or maybe even get a roommate and get a two bedroom for 1500. You can very well be paying less than 50k for three years. And just cut the luxurious miscellaneous crap and your good to go. But close to six figures... is NUTS!!

And of course there are parts of NYC that you shouldn't be hanging around, but that doesn't mean that anywhere outside of Manhattan is a danger zone. Please don't cave into ridiculous notion that its Grand Theft Auto here in NYC all day everyday. Also a 40 to 60 minute commute is not bad and really common for NYers. So just because you have to travel more than 15 minutes to your school doesn't mean that its the end of the freakin' world.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:Call Duke, and ask them if they got your deposit because you think it was lost in the mail....
TITCR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 pm

crit_racer wrote:
TITCR
This x100.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:03 pm

JD2014 wrote: Cardozo places in NYC, WM in VA and DC. Pick where you want to live.
In making my decision to attend W&M, I've found that W&M definitely gives you great options outside of VA/DC, and that a lot of firms from other places interview at OCI and their regional interview programs. After talking to alumni all across the country and attorneys in my Texas market, I believe W&M has the best national reputation and employment prospects for its range in the T20-30, probably similar to Notre Dame (although I'm sure that will be a point of contention). That was one of the big factors in my decision, fwiw. Best of luck.

Exeter

New

Post by Exeter » Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 am

AP-375 wrote:
JD2014 wrote: Cardozo places in NYC, WM in VA and DC. Pick where you want to live.
In making my decision to attend W&M, I've found that W&M definitely gives you great options outside of VA/DC, and that a lot of firms from other places interview at OCI and their regional interview programs. After talking to alumni all across the country and attorneys in my Texas market, I believe W&M has the best national reputation and employment prospects for its range in the T20-30, probably similar to Notre Dame (although I'm sure that will be a point of contention). That was one of the big factors in my decision, fwiw. Best of luck.

I loved W&M. However, their 2010 numbers were scary. The OP should have taken Duke w/o question. W&M at 6K is not bad at all, but from what I have scene getting DC biglaw will be very very hard.

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 am

If I want to work in NYC, should I definitely choose Cardozo over W&M?

Also, which W&M numbers from 2010 are scary? Are Cardozo's numbers scary as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:44 am

bubbletea wrote:If I want to work in NYC, should I definitely choose Cardozo over W&M?

Also, which W&M numbers from 2010 are scary? Are Cardozo's numbers scary as well?
Yes. I think if you are sure you and NYC, take Cordozo. (although W&M has a regional interview program in NYC, and peeps with good/great grades have ended up in excellent firms there.) If you think you might want somewhere else, or might want to have a little bit more flexibility geographically, I'd lean W&M. Did you visit both?

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:48 am

bubbletea wrote:hm, how about if i'm in the top 1/3 at w&m (ranked 27) and want to do biglaw in nyc? although fordham has a better reputation in the city, w&m is technically ranked higher.
Have you spoken with any W&M alumni in NYC? Talking to them in my home market was the difference maker for me - calmed my nerves about passing up a lower-ranked/regionally stronger school. Just call the admissions office and ask them to hook you up with someone in a big firm in NYC. I'm sure they'd do it.
Did you contact Duke?

bubbletea

New

Post by bubbletea » Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 am

I visited both schools and loved Cardozo, but was less enthusiastic about W&M (bc I really don't want to live in Williamsburg). On the other hand, NYC may be a distraction from my studies and W-burg may be more bearable once I establish a social support network...in the short term, I'd prefer to be at Cardozo, but long term W&M just may keep more doors open? Leaning toward the practical choice of W&M...

Rationally, I feel the best choice is W&M. Emotionally, I am leaning toward Cardozo.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

*Emailed Duke & haven't heard back yet.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 pm

bubbletea wrote:If I want to work in NYC, should I definitely choose Cardozo over W&M?

Not to pile on, but if you want big law, Duke is the only option. Dean Hoye seems pretty chill though, maybe they'll take pity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”