Northeastern 1/2 Tuition or Rutgers Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Northeastern 1/2 tuition or Rutgers Camden

Poll ended at Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 am

Northeastern 1/2 Tuition
44%
Rutgers Camden
56%

Total votes: 9

BostonNJ

Northeastern 1/2 Tuition or Rutgers Camden

Postby BostonNJ » Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. Trying to determine which school makes more sense Northeastern at less then 1/2 Tuition or Rutgers Camden. They would both come in at around the same price. I have been living in Boston for about 5 years now, however originally from NJ. I love both area's, NJ is home, Boston is where I went to grad school (BU), and have been working the past three years. Most have advised me to attend where I see myself living for the long term however I am just split. I am cognizant of the fact that crossing markets will not be easy in this economy, however I would like to hear your thoughts on these schools in general and how the stack up (Minus the diatribe on how they are outside T14 blah blah blah). Can either school transcend its immediate market?

keg411

Re: Northeastern 1/2 Tuition or Rutgers Camden

Postby keg411 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:06 am

BostonNJ wrote:Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. Trying to determine which school makes more sense Northeastern at less then 1/2 Tuition or Rutgers Camden. They would both come in at around the same price. I have been living in Boston for about 5 years now, however originally from NJ. I love both area's, NJ is home, Boston is where I went to grad school (BU), and have been working the past three years. Most have advised me to attend where I see myself living for the long term however I am just split. I am cognizant of the fact that crossing markets will not be easy in this economy, however I would like to hear your thoughts on these schools in general and how the stack up (Minus the diatribe on how they are outside T14 blah blah blah). Can either school transcend its immediate market?

The "most" who have advised you are correct. Rutgers Camden places primarily in Philly/South Jersey and Northeastern places primarily in Boston. You really need to decide where you want to be after law school (and seriously watch your debt -- if you are going to take out more than $100k loans from either of these schools, I'd think hard about attending; and I actually attend one of these schools).

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Mon May 30, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks Keg411,

No I would come way under 100K for both these schools. It just seems as tho Northeastern's Coop makes it the better choice. Northeastern has also been aggressively rising in the US rankings.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon May 30, 2011 12:14 pm

BostonNJ wrote:Thanks Keg411,

No I would come way under 100K for both these schools. It just seems as tho Northeastern's Coop makes it the better choice. Northeastern has also been aggressively rising in the US rankings.

The rankings mean nothing. There is no difference between being in the 70's, 80's, or 90's, especially when it comes to comparing schools in two different regions. Northeastern is not going to become a T1 school. I don't think anyone here is going to tell you something different from what you've already heard - it's all about the region you want to work in. Are there any stips on your 50% scholarship from Northeastern? If so, that's something to consider.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have no stipulations on my aid to NU. I have also been working in the public interest for 3 years now out of grad school. NU's philosophy especially on the public interest, experiential lawyering, and its progressive nature really appeals to me. Its reputation here in Boston and New England has been on the rise for some time now, especially in gov/pi/etc. Although rankings do not really matter after the TOP 25, it is telling that in two years the schools rank has gone from 94 to 71, that is 23 spots in the rankings, I think thats pretty impressive for only 2 years. Rutgers use to be a tier one school in the 90's, ranked 45 at one time, it seems to have been falling for a while. :cry:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:13 pm

BostonNJ wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have no stipulations on my aid to NU. I have also been working in the public interest for 3 years now out of grad school. NU's philosophy especially on the public interest, experiential lawyering, and its progressive nature really appeals to me. Its reputation here in Boston and New England has been on the rise for some time now, especially in gov/pi/etc. Although rankings do not really matter after the TOP 25, it is telling that in two years the schools rank has gone from 94 to 71, that is 23 spots in the rankings, I think thats pretty impressive for only 2 years. Rutgers use to be a tier one school in the 90's, ranked 45 at one time, it seems to have been falling for a while. :cry:

You are putting too much emphasis on rankings. It's all regional. If you want to work in Boston, go to Northeastern. If you want to work in NJ, go to Rutgers. A Northeastern degree isn't going to get you Jersey (and a Rutgers degree isn't going to get you Boston). 71 doesn't mean it's any more portable (and prior to bottoming out at 94 and then jumping this past year, Northeastern had been falling for a while). You need to decide where you want to work.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 am

Makes sense, thanks for the advice ;-)

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Tue May 31, 2011 1:09 am

So here is a question, is it difficult to cross markets after gaining experience in the market your law school currently is in? Also, for any NUSL students out there, can one use Co-op to shift markets? For example, could I do all my coops in say Philly? Would that increase my chances to cross markets?

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 am

I may be biased since I'm heading to RU-C in the Fall, but from all of my researching it seems that Rutgers places better. The only bad things I've ever heard about RU-C are simply its location (and the inevitable "T14 or Nothing" comments). I was reading up on Northeastern because I was thinking of applying but a few grads were saying that with all the co-ops only like half the people get one who go after it, then very few even get jobs out of them, etc. That and you have to compete with BU and BC which are significantly better than RU-C's competition of Villanova and Temple.

But I think in all honesty, it really simply comes to desired market. Rutgers seems to be king in NJ, does well in Philly/SE PA, Northern Delaware, and NE Maryland. Though, I would imagine that Northeastern may do well enough through New England seeing how as RI, ME, VT, and NH all only have Tier 3/4 schools in them, Northeastern may do well enough up there if you wanna go there.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I have researched the schools in depth and I have found that although one is not necessarily "better" then the other, one is definitely better for me.

HERE is what I found for those of you in a similar situation (Please note this is only my opinion and what I have found in my quest to figure out where I belong):

NU's teaching methods are unique, very unique (they focus on experiential learning), a method that I think personally will help me flourish in the classroom. Although this is not for everyone, I learn better by doing and this is crux of Northeastern s curriculum. I also tend to learn better in group settings or in a collaborative environment. The fact that there is no rank or grades, I feel, will only push for team learning which leads to team lawyering, which I think will ultimately bring me closer to my classmates and make me a better lawyer. Don't get me wrong, I think healthy competition is a good thing, however to much of it, in my opinion, will not lend itself well for the type of student I am.

While in Boston, I have met many Northeastern Law Grads, and one of the things I have found in common among all of them was this abnormally high sense of alumni loyalty to the school and to one another. During my research I have called alumni from the different schools I had been interested in (mostly t2 similarly ranked schools as NU)I. A surprising number of them had gripes with their education or with their experience at the school, or with the cost associated etc! One person has even told me flat out not to go to their Alma Mater. I was kind of shocked. However, every person I called from Northeastern has LOVED it, or wished they were still there. One even told me to call her again after I graduate!. It was almost freaky, I barely came across any negativity towards the school, and I spoke to 9 people.

After doing a final three year budget in my particular situation, RU still comes in cheaper, mainly due to Boston's very high cost of living. However I found out that during your 3 month Co-op (there are 4 in total you must complete) you get paid, some make $300 a week some make $1,000 a week, some make 0 in which case NU will supplement you with a $2,500 stipend (this is for non-profit, public interest coops). I think that although I will not factor this into my budget, it is definitely a bonus! Most I have spoken to have said that at least 3 of there coops were paid. Most did their first COOP with a judge or a DA's office which do not pay, from what I gather most do this to network and meet the local judges.

Lastly, in terms of ranking which always seems to be an elephant in the room (I admit I even got wrapped up in them), I have learned that Northeastern should be ranked way higher then where it is. Its median numbers are up there with some t1 schools LSAT 161 GPA 3.3 - 3.7, however the truth is that Northeastern University Law does not lend its self well to US News rankings. No grades, no class rank, no journal till recent, plus a huge percent go into PI (the mission of the school), so starting salary average is way down. All these things hurt its ranking, but even with all this non-traditionalist lawyer educating metrics stuff, its still ranking at 71. I met their students and these people are amazing, they are so smart, all want to change the world and all want to do something bigger then themselves. From what I have seen it seems like the best place for me. Please PM me with any questions, I have researched this school and a couple others more recently in depth.

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am

BostonNJ wrote:Thanks……depth.

It sounds as though you had already made up your mind before making this thread. Good luck at NU :).

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:42 am

BostonNJ wrote:Thanks everyone for all your comments. I have researched the schools in depth and I have found that although one is not necessarily "better" then the other, one is definitely better for me.

HERE is what I found for those of you in a similar situation (Please note this is only my opinion and what I have found in my quest to figure out where I belong):

NU's teaching methods are unique, very unique (they focus on experiential learning), a method that I think personally will help me flourish in the classroom. Although this is not for everyone, I learn better by doing and this is crux of Northeastern s curriculum. I also tend to learn better in group settings or in a collaborative environment. The fact that there is no rank or grades, I feel, will only push for team learning which leads to team lawyering, which I think will ultimately bring me closer to my classmates and make me a better lawyer. Don't get me wrong, I think healthy competition is a good thing, however to much of it, in my opinion, will not lend itself well for the type of student I am.

While in Boston, I have met many Northeastern Law Grads, and one of the things I have found in common among all of them was this abnormally high sense of alumni loyalty to the school and to one another. During my research I have called alumni from the different schools I had been interested in (mostly t2 similarly ranked schools as NU)I. A surprising number of them had gripes with their education or with their experience at the school, or with the cost associated etc! One person has even told me flat out not to go to their Alma Mater. I was kind of shocked. However, every person I called from Northeastern has LOVED it, or wished they were still there. One even told me to call her again after I graduate!. It was almost freaky, I barely came across any negativity towards the school, and I spoke to 9 people.

After doing a final three year budget in my particular situation, RU still comes in cheaper, mainly due to Boston's very high cost of living. However I found out that during your 3 month Co-op (there are 4 in total you must complete) you get paid, some make $300 a week some make $1,000 a week, some make 0 in which case NU will supplement you with a $2,500 stipend (this is for non-profit, public interest coops). I think that although I will not factor this into my budget, it is definitely a bonus! Most I have spoken to have said that at least 3 of there coops were paid. Most did their first COOP with a judge or a DA's office which do not pay, from what I gather most do this to network and meet the local judges.

Lastly, in terms of ranking which always seems to be an elephant in the room (I admit I even got wrapped up in them), I have learned that Northeastern should be ranked way higher then where it is. Its median numbers are up there with some t1 schools LSAT 161 GPA 3.3 - 3.7, however the truth is that Northeastern University Law does not lend its self well to US News rankings. No grades, no class rank, no journal till recent, plus a huge percent go into PI (the mission of the school), so starting salary average is way down. All these things hurt its ranking, but even with all this non-traditionalist lawyer educating metrics stuff, its still ranking at 71. I met their students and these people are amazing, they are so smart, all want to change the world and all want to do something bigger then themselves. From what I have seen it seems like the best place for me. Please PM me with any questions, I have researched this school and a couple others more recently in depth.

Very impressive flame. The last paragraph may have been just the slightest bit over the top, but still one of the best I've seen.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 am

BostonNJ wrote: No grades, no class rank, no journal till recent, plus a huge percent go into PI (the mission of the school), so starting salary average is way down. All these things hurt its ranking, but even with all this non-traditionalist lawyer educating metrics stuff, its still ranking at 71.

What do any of these have to do with rankings? Maybe the lack of journals hurts its academic assessment scores (though even then I think that's largely focused on the faculty), but I don't see how the rest matter at all. Here's the methodology, show me where it mentions grading, class rank, journals, what fields their graduates go into, or starting salary?

Not that I think rankings should matter, but your trolling went a little too far into the nonsensical here.

BostonNJ

Postby BostonNJ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:55 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
BostonNJ wrote: No grades, no class rank, no journal till recent, plus a huge percent go into PI (the mission of the school), so starting salary average is way down. All these things hurt its ranking, but even with all this non-traditionalist lawyer educating metrics stuff, its still ranking at 71.

What do any of these have to do with rankings? Maybe the lack of journals hurts its academic assessment scores (though even then I think that's largely focused on the faculty), but I don't see how the rest matter at all. Here's the methodology, show me where it mentions grading, class rank, journals, what fields their graduates go into, or starting salary?

Not that I think rankings should matter, but your trolling went a little too far into the nonsensical here.

Hi, so I wanted to emphasize that I said Northeastern doesn't really lend itself well to US News ranking. These metrics: grading, rank, journal, starting salary, although not directly, definitely impact the measurable metrics you had sent me. Journal by faculty is one of the most common ways to increase pier assessment and until recently this was not available. From my understanding professors spend lots of time writing comprehensive evaluations, and are directed by leadership to focus on teaching and experiential instruction. Plus due to the quarter system they do not really get breaks and so I am gathering that it is extremely difficult for them to publish. No grading/ No rank at a school outside the top five makes it harder for Northeastern Students to be assessed by employers other lawyers and judges in the lawyer assessment score (or whatever its called), which also effects ranking. Its non-traditional elements definitely impacts its ranking. Irrespective of trying to pin-point how its ranking is effected, my point is that it's harder to rank a school that has so many non-traditional elements from the other 95% of the national law schools that use more traditional methods.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”