USC Vs. UPenn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC Vs. Penn for JD/MBA

USC
22%
Penn
78%

Total votes: 36

Ash;-)

USC Vs. UPenn

Postby Ash;-) » Sun May 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi everyone

I want to do JD/MBA and want to choose b/w USC and Penn. I do want to work in SoCal, and additionally the cost of attendance to either school is irrelevant for this discussion. when I'm done with school i do want to practice security laws, Biz Law or M&A.
furthermore, I am a Los Angeles native, and I rather stay in LA.
so please let me know what you guys think.
by the way I am not a ranking whore, so it doesn't really matter to me to go to T20 school or T14 as long as the school could offer me good job security in Los Angeles in the fields I mentioned above.

thank you guys in advance

bdubs

Re: USC Vs. UPenn

Postby bdubs » Sun May 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Penn has a 3 year JD/MBA, USC doesn't. If you can get into the Penn program I think it would open up many more opportunities in SoCal, as long as you have some ties to the area.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun May 29, 2011 4:36 pm

If you've been admitted to Wharton then the answer is UPenn, without a doubt.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun May 29, 2011 4:45 pm

[insert snarky comment about how ridiculous it is to even consider USC]

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun May 29, 2011 4:49 pm

USC's JD/MBA is excellent - have you been admitted to both programs?

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Why would you dirty your Wharton MBA with a JD of any kind.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun May 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Ash;-) wrote:when I'm done with school i do want to practice security laws, Biz Law or M&A.

Uh, why are you bothering with the law piece? Same hours, far shittier pay from what I'm understanding.

I mean, it's Wharton. Am I missing something? Other than the part where you think you're going to do M&A or securities law in LA.

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Sun May 29, 2011 5:36 pm

I want to do M & A or securities [i like Biz law as well but not as much as the other two], and i know that probably LA is not the best venue for these fields; however, I can not live anywhere else but LA after my school is done. I have a Biz in LA and I have to come back to LA in case I go to Penn.
hope the above make things a little more clear.

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why would you dirty your Wharton MBA with a JD of any kind.

for me the Law part is the primary focus, I have been doing Biz for more than 6 years as a high level executive and If i want to continue doing management or Biz i don't really need an MBA; I could just continue doing what i am doing now. however, law will provide me with a new challenge and new perspective [please don't take this as a testament of me being a douche]. the reason I am doing the combine program is the short time and the possibility of acquiring both degrees at the same time.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun May 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Ash;-) wrote:I want to do M & A or securities [i like Biz law as well but not as much as the other two], and i know that probably LA is not the best venue for these fields; however, I can not live anywhere else but LA after my school is done. I have a Biz in LA and I have to come back to LA in case I go to Penn.
hope the above make things a little more clear.

You have a business in LA that you can leave for three years, but must return to even after you've gotten a Wharton MBA? I'm pretty confused - it seems like you either have to stay in LA for the duration (and go to USC), or you're taking three years to expand your career, in which case you really should go to Wharton.

Sounds like you have some complex personal considerations anyhow. Wharton is a top, top B school, and the law school highly regarded (if not quite at Wharton-levels); USC has solid legal and business programs that will allow you to learn the law, but aren't quite at Penn's levels. The main reason to go to Penn over USC would be better job prospects I think, but since you're returning to an existing business, that maybe doesn't apply?

To back up, M&A or securities law will require the full 60-80 hour work week bit. Not sure how the existing business plays into this scenario.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Wait, have you actually applied and been accepted to these schools yet?

Ash;-)

Postby Ash;-) » Sun May 29, 2011 6:44 pm

To be more clear: About two years a go I started a RITZ and have knowledgable partners who can run it in my absence. So as u can see I have the option of leaving for 3 to 4 years. During the time that im gone my shares of profit is smaller but my shares of ownership will stay the same. After the school is done, I have to come back (if I would have left LA). I have put in a lot of work into this company to get it to where it is today and I'm not ready to just say goodbye to it lol.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun May 29, 2011 8:32 pm

dr123 wrote:Wait, have you actually applied and been accepted to these schools yet?

Postby 071816 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Don't you have to be accepted separately to the business and law schools? I still don't understand why you even want to go to law school.

Edit: I pick UPenn regardless.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm a Trojan but I unequivocally pick Penn for you.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 pm

If you've been accepted to Wharton (and I'm guessing you haven't) the correct answer might be to forget about law school for a while and just go get your MBA. You can go to law school in California afterwards.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm

This thread is confusing. Have you been accepted into both of these programs already?

If so, and you are willing to leave LA, UPenn is a MUCH, MUCH better choice. Wharton is like a bar of gold in the business world and although the Penn JD doesn't quite keep up it is still world-class.

All that aside, I'm not sure how you intend to go back to your business and simultaneously work the 70-80 work weeks you'll need if you are doing M&A or Securities work as an attorney. There's just not enough time in the day.

If you are just doing the JD for the intellectual challenge and your current business is your career, then just stay at USC. BUT, since that doesn't seem to be the case, go to Wharton and you'll be set.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”