One last time: Duke(60k) vs. Michigan(54k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me choose!

MIchigan w/54k
46%
Duke w/60k
54%

Total votes: 56

dabbadon8

One last time: Duke(60k) vs. Michigan(54k)

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:51 pm

So I have to decide by this wednesday. I am currently deposited at mich.

Priorities in order:
-Finding gainful employment, probably biglaw ->gov (interested in the DC/southeast, but the desire to have any job far outweighs that preference)
-Debt load (duke's tuition will be 2400 cheaper, mich's cost of living estimate is less, call it equal cost)

Grew up in Florida and have ties here and some in atlanta.

Duke's weather is obviously much better. Mich's quad is gorgeous. Duke has more lay prestige, mich may have more legal prestige. Looks like job prospects seem to be very similar. I would be living in the lawyers club at mich, which is convenient but not comfortable. I would have an apartment at duke which would be comfortable but less convenient (still only 2 miles away). I would also get to have a car at duke which I like. As far as the big class/small class thing, that is a wash for me. I am not sure what to do still. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Exeter

Re: One last time: Duke(60k) vs. Michigan(54k)

Postby Exeter » Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Duke. It is sexier.

dabbadon8 wrote:So I have to decide by this wednesday. I am currently deposited at mich.

Priorities in order:
-Finding gainful employment, probably biglaw ->gov (interested in the DC/southeast, but the desire to have any job far outweighs that preference)
-Debt load (duke's tuition will be 2400 cheaper, mich's cost of living estimate is less, call it equal cost)

Grew up in Florida and have ties here and some in atlanta.

Duke's weather is obviously much better. Mich's quad is gorgeous. Duke has more lay prestige, mich may have more legal prestige. Looks like job prospects seem to be very similar. I would be living in the lawyers club at mich, which is convenient but not comfortable. I would have an apartment at duke which would be comfortable but less convenient (still only 2 miles away). I would also get to have a car at duke which I like. As far as the big class/small class thing, that is a wash for me. I am not sure what to do still. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Given your goals, preferences, and the fact that these two schools are objectively so similar, I think you have to choose the place where you would feel more comfortable living and studying for three years. When it comes down to a choice that is this close, a final decision is going to be based on personal fit.

I know you've probably hear this a thousand times, but there really isn't a wrong choice here. You have incredible options to choose from.

I voted Duke for two reasons:

1) I'm a prestige whore, and Duke has more lay prestige.
2) I'm going to Duke :)

Good luck!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

I voted Duke since you are from the south and want DC or the south afterwords. While both are fantastic schools for you- the fact that you are from a warm weather environment may give you fits in late fall when the air gets frosty and the nights get longer. If you arent used to it- it can take time to get adjusted to it- and travelling in icy, snowy conditions.

If that doesnt bother you- and all else is the same- spin around, flip a coin and go there. Congrats on having 2 awesome options!!!!!!

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Duke because of your interest in the southeast and because I would hate not living in an apartment (I'm assuming LC is more like a dorm?). Might seem kind of trivial to some people, but of the things I can control during 1L - like where I live - I want them to be as comfortable/stress-free as possible.

Anyway, Mich isn't the wrong decision here by any means, but I'd go with Duke.

TUP

Postby TUP » Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm

They're peers, but Mich has a higher number next to it on the USNews site, so a TLS poll probably isn't the best way to decide.

I would think it comes down to midwest vs south for employment and AA vs Durham for the next three years, which are both about weather preference.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:15 pm

I guess the poll represents my thoughts as of now; leaning towards duke. Any more opinions would be great though...

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Who cares about USNWS? They are both peer schools, but Michigan in general has slightly more clout. Take that for what its worth (not much). So, at the margins Michigan is the better choice.

TUP

Postby TUP » Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Who cares about USNWS? They are both peer schools, but Michigan in general has slightly more clout. Take that for what its worth (not much). So, at the margins Michigan is the better choice.

0Ls that create tiers based on those rankings even though employment stats don't match.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun May 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Job prospects are even, cost is even, other factors seem pretty even, and Duke is located in the region in which you want to practice. So go to Duke.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm on the WL for Duke, but even I think Duke has to be the choice here. Seems to be a much better fit for your interests and although overall job placement is slightly higher at Michigan, I would say Duke is unequivocally better for DC/Southeast (though that may be a matter of self-selection).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”