Columbia Butler vs. Harvard Sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Columbia Butler/Other T-10 Half Tuition Scholarship
47%
Harvard
53%

Total votes: 113

lawschoolconflicted

Columbia Butler vs. Harvard Sticker

Postby lawschoolconflicted » Sun May 29, 2011 12:50 am

I've seen posts/comments about the Hamilton at Columbia (and other T-10 full rides) vs. Harvard. But I've had a hard time locating what people would do if they had a Butler offer at CLS or any other half tuition scholarship such as the Wilson at Penn. Let's assume no need based financial aid- if this has already been discussed I apologize (please post a link as I could no find it in the search function). I would still take Harvard in a heart beat, but am curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

Re: Columbia Butler vs. Harvard Sticker

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:53 am

I don't think Harvard places 75K better than CLS.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 am

Last edited by eaa1537 on Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:11 am

Columbia and don't even look back unless you have some specific reason why you want Harvard or you are independently wealthy/someone else is paying for law school for you.

P.s. I hate you.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun May 29, 2011 1:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:I don't think Harvard places 75K better than CLS.

Depending on your ultimate career goals, I would have to agree with DF

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:17 am

eaa1537 wrote:Considering people have turned down many Hamiltons for Harvard, I think a Butler would be easier to turn down regardless of the difference in placement, or a I missing something?

People pay sticker at a TTT's.

There is definitely an argument for Harvard, but 75K is a lot. Any less $$ would be send me to harvard. Any more and I'd say CLS for sure. (I think turning down a Hamilton is stupid.)

lawschoolconflicted

Postby lawschoolconflicted » Sun May 29, 2011 1:29 am

the fact that it's a named scholarship might also a difference as opposed to it being any monetary award- at least this way it could be placed on a resume. although saying you graduated from Harvard is worth 75k more to some people

Postby 071816 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:29 am

lawschoolconflicted wrote:the fact that it's a named scholarship might also a difference as opposed to it being any monetary award- at least this way it could be placed on a resume. although saying you graduated from Harvard is worth 75k more to some people

You mean prestige whores?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 am

Harvard. If only because you can be in bumblefuck Kansas and be sure that the guy at the diner will be impressed by where you went to law school.

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 am

rayiner wrote:Harvard. If only because you can be in bumblefuck Kansas and be sure that the guy at the diner will be impressed by where you went to law school.

Doods in bumble fuck either hate lawyers, or think they are all prefstigious.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun May 29, 2011 1:59 am

eaa1537 wrote:Considering people have turned down many Hamiltons for Harvard, I think a Butler would be easier to turn down regardless of the difference in placement, or a I missing something?

In all seriousness: what else is there?

There's lay prestige, but let's be honest guys: that shit's in your own mind. If you're good-looking she'll sleep with you; if you aren't, then HLS prolly isn't gonna compensate for that.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 10:42 am

flcath wrote:If you're good-looking she'll sleep with you; if you aren't, then HLS prolly isn't gonna compensate for that.

wrong

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun May 29, 2011 10:44 am

lawschoolconflicted wrote:I've seen posts/comments about the Hamilton at Columbia (and other T-10 full rides) vs. Harvard. But I've had a hard time locating what people would do if they had a Butler offer at CLS or any other half tuition scholarship such as the Wilson at Penn. Let's assume no need based financial aid- if this has already been discussed I apologize (please post a link as I could no find it in the search function). I would still take Harvard in a heart beat, but am curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

Well presumably the student would get SOME need-based FA from HLS, and that would change the cost difference.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 am

TheFactor wrote:
flcath wrote:If you're good-looking she'll sleep with you; if you aren't, then HLS prolly isn't gonna compensate for that.

wrong

(guy who can't get girls)

I would take cls no doubt without any need aid from hls. Would have half the debt, get to chill in MFH, and I would have almost the same placement for what I wanted (nyc biglaw). Then again, if nyc biglaw wasnt the goal, could be a different story

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 am

flcath wrote:

There's lay prestige, but let's be honest guys: that shit's in your own mind. If you're good-looking she'll sleep with you; if you aren't, then HLS prolly isn't gonna compensate for that.

No girl will sleep with you b/c you went to HLS, but her parents will be more impressed...

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm

rayiner wrote:
flcath wrote:

No girl will sleep with you b/c you went to HLS
, but her parents will be more impressed...

This has not been true in my experience.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rayiner wrote:Harvard. If only because you can be in bumblefuck Kansas and be sure that the guy at the diner will be impressed by where you went to law school.

Doods in bumble fuck either hate lawyers, or think they are all prefstigious.

No joke, I was talking to a co worker about law schools, somehow we got into where I'd like to go and I said columbia. He then asked if that was the same as Mizzou, which is in columbia, missouri. I'm sure if I said harvard he wouldn't have gotten confused. And I live in a city.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:
rayiner wrote:
flcath wrote:

+1

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 29, 2011 12:57 pm

If you want NYC BigLaw, then take the Butler. You'll still do well with firms and you'll have less debt to repay.

For PI, go to Harvard.

Otherwise... too situation-specific.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm

I voted Harvard because I'm a prestige whore.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun May 29, 2011 3:01 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:
rayiner wrote:
flcath wrote:

Eh. Harvard Law makes me envious as fuck when it's on this guy (LinkRemoved), but does anyone here seriously envy the life of this guy?

(I'm not trying to be mean, but this website supposedly prides itself on straight-talk...)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 29, 2011 3:02 pm

TheFactor wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:
rayiner wrote:
flcath wrote:In all seriousness: what else is there?

+1

What sort of nerd-hags are you guys pulling?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun May 29, 2011 3:33 pm

rayiner wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:This has not been true in my experience.

+1

No shit right? There is some seriously nasty New England skank out there, but I'm not sure I even understand the scenario here.

(scene: overpriced club in Manhattan)

HLS grad: I went to Harvard.
Preppy slut: I want you to come over to my place right now.

This scenario seems... I dunno. I guess I don't own enough sweater vests or something.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun May 29, 2011 3:39 pm

ahduth wrote:
rayiner wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:This has not been true in my experience.

+1

No shit right? There is some seriously nasty New England skank out there, but I'm not sure I even understand the scenario here.

(scene: overpriced club in Manhattan)

HLS grad: I went to Harvard.
Preppy slut: I want you to come over to my place right now.

This scenario seems... I dunno. I guess I don't own enough sweater vests or something.

Nah. Chicks in Manhattan don't give a shit unless you're working at Goldman or a hedge fund. This has to be Cambridge chicks.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”