Transfer from Brooklyn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mz253

Transfer from Brooklyn

Postby mz253 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Brooklyn just upgraded me to a full scholarship. I was almost set to go to UT (sticker). I wonder, if I want to transfer to schools like UPenn, Columbia, NYU after one year, what grades I need from Brooklyn? Top 10%? How about UCLA/USC?

JusticeHarlan

Re: Transfer from Brooklyn

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=124519

1) Do not post here asking about transfer odds from a school you're considering attending.

The near-universal response you will get is that you should never attend a school specifically intending to transfer. There are two reasons for this.

The first is that 95% of transfer admissions is your 1L grades, and you can't predict in advance how well you're going to do your 1L year. If you intend to transfer up a tier, you're going to need to do very well your first year, probably top 10% or better. The problem is, everyone is going to be trying to be in the top 10% of their class their first year, and if 100% of the class is trying to be in the top 10%, 90% will be disappointed. And since there's no way to know where you'll do until you actually finish 1L year, you have no way of knowing as a 0L whether you'll be in the top 10% or the disappointed 90% until you actually are.

The second is that transferring schools means you leave behind professors that you built up a reputation with and are starting over. This is why even lateral transfers, which are a lot more possible, are typically regarded as dumb. You're leaving behind all the good things you built up at your first year of school and not gaining any new employment opportunities because you're not transferring upward at all. If you plan on attending school X for a year and then transfer to similarly-ranked school Y, you should've just attended school Y in the first place.

The typical answer you're going to get, if you can't get into school Y, is to take a year, fix whatever is causing you to not get into school Y (retake the LSAT, get more WE, etc.), and reapply. That is, honestly, both easier and better for you than transferring. Transferring is a bitch, do not count on it.

If you're merely curious about what transfer possibilities are available for those who do really well at a particular school, you can read through old threads here to see how people did in previous cycles, or go search for the Yahoo! group "transferapps" and read through their material. Or read Arrow's excellent guide to transferring, available here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

But do not start new threads about transfer chances if you're a 0L. Those don't belong here.

2) Do not make assertions as a 0L that you will be able to transfer up after 1L.

See above, your odds of failure are high on this. This is not something you cannot know for certain as a 0L, and if you assert that you do, you're going to be assumed to be trolling by default, and dealt with accordingly.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I'm not asking about MY odds. I'm asking about the POPULATION odds.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Probably more like top 5%

But, here are the three scenarios that could occur, in order of likelihood.

1. You miss the cut-off stipulation for your full ride at Brooklyn, and you're stuck there. You pay full tuition for 2L and 3L

2. You meet the stipulation, but you can't transfer to any of the listed schools, and you're stuck there. Your only option is to graduate from Brooklyn.

3. You miraculously make it into the top 5%

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri May 27, 2011 5:12 pm

mz253 wrote:I'm not asking about MY odds. I'm asking about the POPULATION odds.

Bullshit
mz253 wrote:Brooklyn just upgraded me to a full scholarship. I was almost set to go to UT (sticker). I wonder, if I want to transfer to schools like UPenn, Columbia, NYU after one year, what grades I need from Brooklyn? Top 10%? How about UCLA/USC?

mz253

Postby mz253 » Fri May 27, 2011 5:58 pm

bhan87 wrote:Probably more like top 5%

But, here are the three scenarios that could occur, in order of likelihood.

1. You miss the cut-off stipulation for your full ride at Brooklyn, and you're stuck there. You pay full tuition for 2L and 3L

2. You meet the stipulation, but you can't transfer to any of the listed schools, and you're stuck there. Your only option is to graduate from Brooklyn.

3. You miraculously make it into the top 5%

Well, I saw someone from T2 or T3 doing 15% and transferred to Berkeley and Columbia. They are black/hispanic though. Is it because they are minority?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 pm

mz253 wrote:Brooklyn just upgraded me to a full scholarship. I was almost set to go to UT (sticker). I wonder, if I want to transfer to schools like UPenn, Columbia, NYU after one year, what grades I need from Brooklyn? Top 10%? How about UCLA/USC?

To go to law school you would need to have finished grades 1-12, and undergrad. These requirements hold if you're from Brooklyn or any where else in the United States or abroad. These rules apply at all the schools you listed from Columbia to USC.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Fri May 27, 2011 10:15 pm

UT and do not look back.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”