Chicago v. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Snape

Re: Chicago v. Northwestern

Postby Snape » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Any way you look at it its a terrible comparison--you should hope that OP is in your section for purposes of the curve.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Snape wrote:First: There is no such thing as "T6" outside of people who got CCN and dream of the HLS "T3" distinction so they make up a term to make themselves feel better from their obvious peer schools of MVNDPDKGFHEW...blah blah blah

You're right, outside of NYC it's the T5 and everybody else.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Chicago is tcr. Seriously, people, c'mon.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:Chicago is tcr. Seriously, people, c'mon.

<-------- Would rather be at NU.

Also, does Chicago have an LRAP now? Because they didn't last I checked.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

a pretty good one actually

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

Actually, they have an LRAP that doesn't take spousal income into account. As in, I could marry a millionaire tomorrow and it would make no difference whatsoever. Pretty sweet.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Snape wrote:First: There is no such thing as "T6" outside of people who got CCN and dream of the HLS "T3" distinction so they make up a term to make themselves feel better from their obvious peer schools of MVNDPDKGFHEW...blah blah blah

Nah, dude. Pretty sure you're not arguing that Columbia and Duke are peer schools even if you're currently going to Duke.

To OP: Chicago is the obvious choice unless you have some irrational fear or hate of the school, its location, the Maroonbook (I would understand this), or the students. Nothing against NU - it's a great school that's constantly underrated on here.

But im biased, I knew people who went to Chi and hated everything about it except its prestige so I never even bothered to apply there...

I know somebody who went to NU, did rather well academically, and fucking hated the school and his classmates. Guess nobody should go there either.

IndyHCKM

Postby IndyHCKM » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I know somebody who went to NU, did rather well academically, and fucking hated the school and his classmates. Guess nobody should go there either.

Heh.

I asked a friend of mine in attendance at Chicago what she thought of the school. She said, "I really like it here. In fact, everybody I know really likes it here." Then a friend overhearing said "well, there's Jim" and my friend responded, "Oh, yeah. I guess there's Jim. Well, let me put it this way, unless you hate learning, you will like it here."

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

We got lucky in that our classmates ended up being people we got along with really well. There is no way a kid coming in could really know that. All he has is hearsay. Given that, the question is: are the better prospects and reputation at U of C worth living three years in Hyde Park? My answer: hell yes, they are. Especially given the fact that both schools are demanding sticker.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 am

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

We got lucky in that our classmates ended up being people we got along with really well. There is no way a kid coming in could really know that. All he has is hearsay. Given that, the question is: are the better prospects and reputation at U of C worth living three years in Hyde Park? My answer: hell yes, they are. Especially given the fact that both schools are demanding sticker.

Yes. And I also want to remind that, at the end of the day, you're going to LS because you want a job/career in the legal field. You're not going there to have the UG experience all over again - or so I'd hope. While Chicago may not be leaps and bounds above NU, the fact of the matter is that every year there are people whose grades don't get them what they wanted out of NU but would've been sufficient out of Chicago. If you wind up being one of those people, I'm thinking that the warm and cozy memories of awesome NU bar reviews won't comfort you.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 am

dresden doll wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

Yes. And I also want to remind that, at the end of the day, you're going to LS because you want a job/career in the legal field. You're not going there to have the UG experience all over again - or so I'd hope. While Chicago may not be leaps and bounds above NU, the fact of the matter is that every year there are people whose grades don't get them what they wanted out of NU but would've been sufficient out of Chicago. If you wind up being one of those people, I'm thinking that the warm and cozy memories of awesome NU bar reviews won't comfort you.

Exactly. I love my school, and I love the people here, but Chicago is clearly tcr in this situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”