BLS (sticker) v AU WCL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mazz

New

BLS (sticker) v AU WCL

Post by mazz » Fri May 27, 2011 10:30 am

Hey guys,

I'd like to get your unfiltered thoughts on both of these schools. I've already paid the seat deposit at WCL, but I currently live in NYC and would prefer to avoid moving if intelligently possible.

I was just accepted off the BLS wl and I'm looking for a source of good info on what employment prospects are like from both schools, and what would be most worth my investment considering I'm paying sticker.

thanks

JD2014

Bronze

Re: BLS (sticker) v AU WCL

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am

Best source of employment data: --LinkRemoved--

Any money from AU? TLS received wisdom is that Fordham at sticker is risky, BLS at sticker will probably not get a single vote.

In fact, this thread is just going to devolve into repeated postings of retake.

mazz

New

Post by mazz » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

yep.. took it three times already.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Did you get money from AU? I wasn't sure if that "yep" was in response to the money question or acknowledging the 3x LSAT.

A cursory glance at the 2 seems to indicate similar COAs and employment prospects. (I'm sure some passionate posters will arrive soon to argue out the differences though.) If you're going to pick between the two, I'd recommend whichever is cheaper, though if the difference is negligible, go with the city you prefer.

mazz

New

Post by mazz » Fri May 27, 2011 1:36 pm

nah, sticker at American.

I'll check out the website you posted at some point during the work day. From what I've seen thus far, aside from ranking, the schools are fairly comparable in their respective regions.

I'm very very interested in transferring after my first year to whatever t14 will take me. I don't know (doesn't seem like it) if the ranking difference in the schools makes a difference as far as mobility is concerned, but it's something I have considered as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Fri May 27, 2011 1:47 pm

mazz wrote:nah, sticker at American.

I'll check out the website you posted at some point during the work day. From what I've seen thus far, aside from ranking, the schools are fairly comparable in their respective regions.

I'm very very interested in transferring after my first year to whatever t14 will take me. I don't know (doesn't seem like it) if the ranking difference in the schools makes a difference as far as mobility is concerned, but it's something I have considered as well.
Never bank on transferring (particularly to T14).

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:49 pm

If you're not in the top of your class, transferring to a T-14 is going to be highly unlikely. It's repeated ad nauseum here, but making the top of your class is extremely difficult, and there is a certain element of luck to it. In short, be prepared to find yourself in a situation after 1L where you won't be able to transfer. Good luck either way.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 pm

It's repeated ad nauseum here
Never bank on transferring (particularly to T14).
It's not that the advice is bad, but the frequency still makes me a little nauseous.

mazz

New

Post by mazz » Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

i'm not married to the idea of transferring, but it's an option that I'd absolutely explore if I booked my 1L.

I'm primarily interested in figuring out the situation w/job prospects (where the jobs are), mobility after graduation, and a getting some perspective on all this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm

mazz wrote: I'm primarily interested in figuring out the situation w/job prospects (where the jobs are), mobility after graduation, and a getting some perspective on all this.
WCL & BLS are both in saturated markets and both are bottom feeders in those markets. Unless you are at the top of your class not only will a decent job be difficult but gainful employment will be difficult.

You will not be mobile; either school is only known in their respective markets.

You're going to brush off this off but I told you.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 am

You're going to brush off this off but I told you.
I don't think he'd be here asking people for their unfiltered opinion if he were just going to brush off any advice he received.

OP, on a large scholarship, these schools might not be bad. But at sticker, you're really gambling. There is a thread going on now about a guy in a T2 school at median debating whether it's even worth continuing law school: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t=drop+out

It's worth reading, if you want an unfiltered opinion of what it could be like.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 am

Petition to retake a 4th time or don't go.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:47 am

1) Where are you from?
2) Did you get in anywhere with $$$?
3) What are your numbers right now?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”