La Verne Admit. Is it a risk? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scammedhard

Silver

Re: La Verne Admit. Is it a risk?

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 pm

BeautifulSW: If one wants to gamble, one has better odds in Las Vegas than in La Verne.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

If you're that driven, retake the LSAT and go to a decent law school.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:41 pm

HaHA! Yes! True! But Vegas will give you better odds than most law schools out there!

As to being "that driven", I got my J.D. 25 years ago from a T2 state school that cost me significantly less in tuition and fees than you all now pay for books alone. Those were indeed the days. Anyway, I don't think I would be that driven, now.

But there ARE NO reasonably priced (at sticker) ABA approved schools in California anymore.

scammedhard

Silver

Post by scammedhard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:But there ARE NO reasonably priced (at sticker) ABA approved schools in California anymore.
So true...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:32 am

BeautifulSW wrote:HaHA! Yes! True! But Vegas will give you better odds than most law schools out there!

As to being "that driven", I got my J.D. 25 years ago from a T2 state school that cost me significantly less in tuition and fees than you all now pay for books alone. Those were indeed the days. Anyway, I don't think I would be that driven, now.

But there ARE NO reasonably priced (at sticker) ABA approved schools in California anymore.
S and B?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:25 am

OP, will you put up a poll asking how many people have heard of La Verne?

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 pm

The only reason I've heard of La Verne is because of this (admittedly very old) PDF, where they can be found on the bottom of the second page.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

I showed this to a few people and kept asking how a school could possibly allow itself to list 45% of its students' employment outcomes as "unknown." Seriously, that's insane.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Stanford and Berkeley?

I am not really in a position to say. If not these, then no one, surely, but it depends on the realistic salary prospects upon graduating.

There used to be a rule-of-thumb that one's student loan debt shouldn't exceed one's expected first year gross salary. (I personally managed this but that was a long time ago.) For the vast majority of California T2 and below grads, this is a pipe dream and has been for the last ten years or so, even before the Crash. This suggests to me that the vast majority of T2 (and below) law students paying sticker in California ABA schools shouldn't be in law school at all. But maybe Stanford and Berkeley grads are still routinely commanding $150,000 starting salaries. I have no way to know either way. But ITE? I doubt it.

clbig

New

Post by clbig » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm going to a Tier 4, but I'm 41, going part-time at night and will have a job waiting for me when I graduate. Even though I'm not picky, I did want to be sure my school was ABA accredited. I did see La Verne will be eligible for accreditation again in 2014, but I wouldn't risk it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:06 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:The only reason I've heard of La Verne is because of this (admittedly very old) PDF, where they can be found on the bottom of the second page.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/composite.pdf

I showed this to a few people and kept asking how a school could possibly allow itself to list 45% of its students' employment outcomes as "unknown." Seriously, that's insane.
I just couldn't get over <20% getting firm jobs before the recession.

IronHBM

New

Post by IronHBM » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Don't go to La Verne it is too much of a dice roll. Also i believe it lost its ABA accreditation and looking at some of the schools that the ABA deems "qualified" to teach law, you know La Verne has to be incredibly bad. Do yourself a favor and wait/retake the lsat and apply at the very beginning of next year's cycle + get some work experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”