Seattle U vs McGeorge vs USF vs SCU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school to pick?

Seattle U 8k/yr (top 50% stip)
33%
McGeorge (UOP) 10k/yr (no stips)
31%
University of San Francisco (subtract 30k from cost of living because I can live with parents. Tuition at sticker though.)
27%
Santa Clara U (sticker for everything)
9%

Total votes: 45

risktaker

Re: Seattle U vs McGeorge vs USF vs SCU

Postby risktaker » Mon May 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Anyone have a clue as to which school has more practicing alumni between UOP and SU?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon May 30, 2011 9:57 pm

risktaker wrote:Anyone have a clue as to which school has more practicing alumni between UOP and SU?

According to Martindale, UOP has 8825 and SU has 2809

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 pm

Holy shit. That is a pretty big difference considering SU has a larger graduating class.

tothePAIN

Postby tothePAIN » Mon May 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Anecdotal evidence, but from a perusal of law firms in Sacramento, UOP is strongly represented. I work in Sacramento and when I interact with lawyers, a fair number of them are from UOP.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm

That might have tipped the scales a bit.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 pm

Seattle U says they have over 9000 practicing alumni on their website. Is this right?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 pm

risktaker wrote:Seattle U says they have over 9000 practicing alumni on their website. Is this right?

I wonder what their exact definition of "practicing" is. Would that include making lattes, mochas, or both?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am

scammedhard wrote:
risktaker wrote:Seattle U says they have over 9000 practicing alumni on their website. Is this right?

I wonder what their exact definition of "practicing" is. Would that include making lattes, mochas, or both?

Prolly anyone whose an active member of the bar.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 31, 2011 12:24 am

Yeah, you are right. Would you guys say that UOP has a way better alumni network than Seattle U?

am0rfati

Postby am0rfati » Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 am

Don't let the bastards bring you down. The rest of the people discussing the T14's are boring so they have to come bother the rest of us. Taking on law school debt is not necessarily apocalyptic, but if you can go to a school where you'll be happy with the degree, AND have a low amount of debt, go for that option. I voted for McGeorge, but I understand that Sacramento isn't the most desirable of regions. I hope that USD pans out for you. If it does...bust your ass and hope you earn a merit scholarship heading into 2L. Good luck! And maybe avoid asking these kinds of questions on this site in the future...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 31, 2011 12:37 am

am0rfati wrote:Don't let the bastards bring you down. The rest of the people discussing the T14's are boring so they have to come bother the rest of us. Taking on law school debt is not necessarily apocalyptic, but if you can go to a school where you'll be happy with the degree, AND have a low amount of debt, go for that option. I voted for McGeorge, but I understand that Sacramento isn't the most desirable of regions. I hope that USD pans out for you. If it does...bust your ass and hope you earn a merit scholarship heading into 2L. Good luck! And maybe avoid asking these kinds of questions on this site in the future...

He doesn't have a low-debt option lulz

Also almost no one gets a merit scholarship 2L, herp derpington.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 31, 2011 12:40 am

am0rfati wrote:Don't let the bastards bring you down. The rest of the people discussing the T14's are boring so they have to come bother the rest of us. Taking on law school debt is not necessarily apocalyptic, but if you can go to a school where you'll be happy with the degree, AND have a low amount of debt, go for that option. I voted for McGeorge, but I understand that Sacramento isn't the most desirable of regions. I hope that USD pans out for you. If it does...bust your ass and hope you earn a merit scholarship heading into 2L. Good luck! And maybe avoid asking these kinds of questions on this site in the future...

Thanks for your vote of confidence amorfati. I know that I was stupid for asking this question here, but some of the non-elitists on here have actually given some helpful replies that has brought me that much closer to deciding on a school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 am

risktaker wrote:

Thanks for your vote of confidence amorfati. I know that I was stupid for asking this question here, but some of the non-elitists on here have actually given some helpful replies that has brought me that much closer to deciding on a school.

I'm not actually sure how "don't take out a shit-ton in loans for schools with excessively mediocre/bad employment prospects" is an elitist stance.

bass08

Postby bass08 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 am

Yeah, I mean, we obviously don't have any direct interest one way or the other on what you decide, but we are just trying to help provide a realistic perspective. I wish you guys luck, but if things don't work out and you find yourself 180k in debt and jobless, you may not want to complain to anyone too much considering you had fair notice.

Honestly, I think these schools are huge ripoffs so I don't want them getting anyone's money.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue May 31, 2011 1:44 am

I just felt like McGeorge was such a freaking dump when I visited it. I did not get excited at all. Seattle I felt a little better about.

I think I may put a second deposit down on McGeorge and spend tomorrow writing LOCIs.

It seems like that Seattle is such a better place in the WA market than McGeorge is in the CA market. Its like a step above GGU.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Tue May 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure out right now. Go to a school with a better reputation in its state or go to a school with a bigger alumni network but stiffer competition from T14-T100 schools.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:36 am

risktaker wrote:Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure out right now. Go to a school with a better reputation in its state or go to a school with a bigger alumni network but stiffer competition from T14-T100 schools.

Bigger alumni network...spread sporadically across the most populous state in the country. Seattle is the way to go on this one man.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
risktaker wrote:Yeah, that's what I am trying to figure out right now. Go to a school with a better reputation in its state or go to a school with a bigger alumni network but stiffer competition from T14-T100 schools.

Bigger alumni network...spread sporadically across the most populous state in the country. Seattle is the way to go on this one man.

Yeah. Paying $175k for Seattle is a great idea.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:03 am

I've read every post on this thread and I have to give OP a saying my mother used to give me as a child "A hard head makes a soft ass!" If you don't have better options in schools or $$$ don't go to law school. I am far from an elitist. If you believe me read my posts. Owing close to 200k in debt and making 50s year is far from a sane choice. Spending close to 40% of your salary in loan repayment won't bring a soul in the world joy. You will probably default if your parents don't pick up the slack. Take a few years work, and revisit this idea when you are in a better position. GL otherwise.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:02 am

I was in a similar sitch to this last year w/a 2.75/157. I got $9k at Seattle U and that was IT for me.

I chose to take another year off and retake per the advice I got on TLS about debt.

I got a 168 out of the retake, and reapplied. Santa Clara and Seattle U were on my list, and I got $15k+ from both of them. If you're really set on attending these, please consider this route so you can at least minimize your debt.

Oh, and I still chose to attend neither because their employment prospects are terrible. (I'll be matriculating at sticker :roll: at Houston cos I don't have to pay COL here and have in-state.)

bass08

Postby bass08 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 am

upfish wrote:I was in a similar sitch to this last year w/a 2.75/157. I got $9k at Seattle U and that was IT for me.

I chose to take another year off and retake per the advice I got on TLS about debt.

I got a 168 out of the retake, and reapplied. Santa Clara and Seattle U were on my list, and I got $15k+ from both of them. If you're really set on attending these, please consider this route so you can at least minimize your debt.

Oh, and I still chose to attend neither because their employment prospects are terrible. (I'll be matriculating at sticker :roll: at Houston cos I don't have to pay COL here and have in-state.)

You chose...wisely.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:27 pm

bass08 wrote:
upfish wrote:I was in a similar sitch to this last year w/a 2.75/157. I got $9k at Seattle U and that was IT for me.

You chose...wisely.

I feel like we are being over run by Southerners.

bass08

Postby bass08 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:32 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
bass08 wrote:

You chose...wisely.

Who's a southerner? I'm from California :)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm

bass08 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
bass08 wrote:

You chose...wisely.

I read you went to SMU. How was going out of state? Are you interested in coming back?

Who's a southerner? I'm from California :)

bass08

Postby bass08 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Yeah, it's true, I'm at SMU. I like it here so far. I do miss California, but all and all things are good in Dallas.

I may attempt to come back at some point, but right now there are too many variables to really make a guess. I imagine I will probably be staying in Texas for at least a few years after graduation, if not for longer. We'll see what happens though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”