Seattle U vs McGeorge vs USF vs SCU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school to pick?

Seattle U 8k/yr (top 50% stip)
33%
McGeorge (UOP) 10k/yr (no stips)
31%
University of San Francisco (subtract 30k from cost of living because I can live with parents. Tuition at sticker though.)
27%
Santa Clara U (sticker for everything)
9%

Total votes: 45

risktaker

Seattle U vs McGeorge vs USF vs SCU

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 am

Numbers are 157, 3.3. I am on the wait list for USD, USF, and SCU right now, but I feel like I have a better shot to get off the SCU and USF wait list by mid to late June. If I do get into those schools, which one should I pick. I wanted to work in CA, but right now, I have no preference. I am willing to go wherever the job outlook is the best. Shoot!
Last edited by risktaker on Fri May 27, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

drs36

Re: Seattle U vs McGeorge vs USF vs SCU

Postby drs36 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 am

#'s? IF you get off the waitlist, do you anticipate these schools being sticker? Is re-taking not an option?

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 am

You shouldn't go to any of these schools.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 am

Sorry, I did not make it clear. Re-take is not an option. Just pick which school you would pick if you had to choose.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 am

risktaker wrote:Re-take is not an option.

USF and then transfer maybe?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 am

Why isn't retake an option?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 am

Then you should NOT go to law school.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I have taken the LSAT multiple times and got a 157 every time even though I was PT'ing a higher range. I can never get it together on game day. Plus, I wasted almost 2 yrs on the LSAT and I am ready to move on. Seriously ppl, enough with the retake crap and don't go to law school bs. Just vote for a school you would pick if you had to and it would be nice if you could give a reason why you voted for that school. Thanks.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Come on guys. More voting would help me.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Don't listen to these people. There's nothing wrong with these schools in the regions that they're in, except maybe Santa Clara, their grads have an uphill battle. Go to Seattle U.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm

I think McGeorge has the best grip on its respective market so thats where I would go.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Don't listen to these people. There's nothing wrong with these schools in the regions that they're in, except maybe Santa Clara, their grads have an uphill battle. Go to Seattle U.

Why Seattle U? Any reason you chose it?

DB1

Postby DB1 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:39 pm

I cant comment on Seattle (pros/cons) other than it rains a lot and its one of the largest meth capitals in the US. UOP is a good school for the location. I have some friends who went there and never heard a neg. thing about the system. The job market is going to be limited to the Sacramento region however. USF will limit you more than McGeorge, but you've got free rent.

If it were me, and those were my four options, I'd go with McGeorge...

Good luck

NVResident

Postby NVResident » Fri May 27, 2011 1:42 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Don't listen to these people. There's nothing wrong with these schools in the regions that they're in

Ditto.

Go with your cheapest overall option which sounds like it is living with your parents for free and going to USF. You really can't beat free room and board.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Keep them coming. This is very helpful.

I had no clue that Seattle was a "meth capital". Is this for real? Is it prevalent in the outskirts of Seattle or are there crack heads and meth addicts roaming around downtown Seattle?

DB1

Postby DB1 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:50 pm

risktaker wrote:Keep them coming. This is very helpful.

I had no clue that Seattle was a "meth capital". Is this for real? Is it prevalent in the outskirts of Seattle or are there crack heads and meth addicts roaming around downtown Seattle?

Yeah, its legit. I'm a police officer, so I can comment on that with 100% certainty. Just about all of Pierce County and King County is a complete cesspool. Downtown is nice, but you have a lot of anti-law / anti-government type individuals. (not everyone, but a large portion)

oliveminna

Postby oliveminna » Fri May 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Seattle is hardly a "meth capitol". It is a world class city with a thriving art/music/theater scene. It is visually beautiful - really, enough to lift your mood on a bad day. The SIFF is ongoing at the moment bringing films from all over the world. The food is amazing. It has the most literate population in the country as well as a really high percentage of people who know CPR!? Seattle has all the problems of a big city; chronically homeless/mentally ill people, but Seattle also has an active commitment to serve these populations. I say this as a social worker and resident for the last 20 years. I have my gripes about Seattle, being an east coast transplant, but really, if anyone is painting the picture that Seattle a dangerous place to live is misinformed. I don't know about the police officer, perhaps he/she is only seeing the dark side of the city and is jaded. I live in the "hood" and have never been bothered. Trouble, I've found, usually finds peole who are looking for it.

Now, SU. It's definitely a regional school, but if you want to stay in the region (not a bad place to live if you don't mind the rain), it's well respected. I have met both students, alumni, and professors and they have all been bright, passionate people.

Personally, I am attending U.WA this fall due to the in state tuition advantage, but were I younger and had more time to pay off debt, SU would have been a serious consideration.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks oliveminna. I needed some reaffirmation about Seattle. It seems like an awesome place, but I have not been to it yet. Visiting next week, so I am excited about that.

scat_cat

Postby scat_cat » Fri May 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Seattle is my favorite place in the country, but it's a miniscule legal market, and it's pretty hard to get a job coming out of Seattle U because you're in competition with UW kids (way better reputation, cheaper price) and people from top schools who want to come back to Seattle after graduation. (Unclear why they would do that if Seattle were infested with meth heads, but it's true!) I don't know about the situation with the other markets you're looking at (presumably San Francisco is worse given Stanford and Berkeley), but Seattle U is extremely risky given the expense.

I know you might not want to hear this right now, but you might want to explore non-law school options--unless you're willing to accept a job after graduation 1) in the 30K-40K range, 2) not in your desired market, and/or 3) doing work that may not require a JD.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri May 27, 2011 4:21 pm

scammedhard wrote:

Then you should NOT go to law school.

████████████████████
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 pm

DB1 wrote:
risktaker wrote:Keep them coming. This is very helpful.

Yeah, its legit. I'm a police officer, so I can comment on that with 100% certainty. Just about all of Pierce County and King County is a complete cesspool. Downtown is nice, but you have a lot of anti-law / anti-government type individuals. (not everyone, but a large portion)

Gosh. Hearing that comment from a cop, I can't imagine how anyone who lived there could possibly harbor any "anti-law" type feelings. :roll:

Seattle is cool. Fucking hideous traffic, but really pretty and lots to do. Yes, it rains a lot. That is the price the PNW pays for it being green ALL YEAR ROUND. There is no brown season.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 6:14 pm

bump

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Personally I would go to USF.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri May 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Giving ammunition to morons asking this question on here.

I liked Seattle very much so. As for meth. I saw a lot of homeless there and I see a lot in the bay area. There is meth every where in the U.S. from SF to Seattle shacks blow up in the woods. I came from a small suburb in the bay area. Very safe, but there was meth use. Seattle is a major metro area so there are drugs. No where is perfect. I can't imagine it is worse than Richmond, Oakland, SF or Los Angeles or San Diego.

I had the pleasure of seeing someone shoot up in down town San Francisco about two weeks ago.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri May 27, 2011 6:52 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Giving ammunition to morons asking this question on here.

Haha, I know. Just wanted to get feedback from the non-morons on TLS. It's amazing how a lot of 0Ls talk bs about employment when they have no personal experience whatsoever. I rather hear from either 0Ls who know their shit or 1Ls-3Ls who actually might know something about employment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”