Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where?

Duke
86%
UCLA
11%
Pass on Duke and wait for GULC
3%

Total votes: 37

dr123

Gold

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Post by dr123 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:51 am

prestige nonprofit, wow.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 am

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.
Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.
To some it may be (1)immoral to bounce to GULC, (2)to others it may be good business. The question is not how you look, but (3) what's legal. If it's legal and a good business decision I will take the 2/3 on the curve and call it an A-.

Also I located the Yale link on LSAC rule regarding acceptances after April 1. I was mistaken earlier when i refernced the ABA as the rule's author.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... 11/04.aspx

dukeblue

New

Post by dukeblue » Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.
Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.
I would commit at Duke, but still wait for GULC.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm

dukeblue wrote:I would commit at Duke, but still wait for GULC.

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm

wamanda wrote:Just FYI, I am in a similar situation. I suggest much, much more negotiation between UCLA and Duke.
Whoa thank you guys so much! UCLA offered me $52,500 and Duke offered me $45,000 (keep in mind cost of living). Amazing development considering the other day I was going to pay sticker at UCLA and I was only wait listed at Duke when its almost June. Thoughts??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd take Duke with the $45k.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Duke with the 45k.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 9:42 pm

minxthecat wrote:
OP, did you make a decision?
If not, I think you should negotiate the hell out of these schools before committing. I agree with a previous poster who noted that UCLA is fairly generous with aid (leveraging Duke should be an easy way to get more $), and likewise Duke supposedly offers $ to WL applicants quite freely as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”