Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where?

Duke
32
86%
UCLA
4
11%
Pass on Duke and wait for GULC
1
3%
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby dr123 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:51 am

prestige nonprofit, wow.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 am

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.


Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.


To some it may be (1)immoral to bounce to GULC, (2)to others it may be good business. The question is not how you look, but (3) what's legal. If it's legal and a good business decision I will take the 2/3 on the curve and call it an A-.

Also I located the Yale link on LSAC rule regarding acceptances after April 1. I was mistaken earlier when i refernced the ABA as the rule's author.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2011/04.aspx

dukeblue
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby dukeblue » Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.


Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.


I would commit at Duke, but still wait for GULC.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby TheFactor » Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm

dukeblue wrote:I would commit at Duke, but still wait for GULC.

minxthecat
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm

wamanda wrote:Just FYI, I am in a similar situation. I suggest much, much more negotiation between UCLA and Duke.


Whoa thank you guys so much! UCLA offered me $52,500 and Duke offered me $45,000 (keep in mind cost of living). Amazing development considering the other day I was going to pay sticker at UCLA and I was only wait listed at Duke when its almost June. Thoughts??

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd take Duke with the $45k.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby thelawyler » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Duke with the 45k.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Postby fingersxd » Tue May 31, 2011 9:42 pm

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.


Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.


OP, did you make a decision?
If not, I think you should negotiate the hell out of these schools before committing. I agree with a previous poster who noted that UCLA is fairly generous with aid (leveraging Duke should be an easy way to get more $), and likewise Duke supposedly offers $ to WL applicants quite freely as well.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheSpanishMain and 3 guests