Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

where?

Duke
86%
UCLA
11%
Pass on Duke and wait for GULC
3%

Total votes: 37

minxthecat

New

Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Post by minxthecat » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I got a tentative offer from Duke today, which is awesome. I was on priority reserve. I need to commit or I won't get in. I want to do prestige nonprofit or big law in NYC. Everything about the school is great for me except for the fact that it's in Durham, NC. I'm from NY. I like big cities. I like their vivaciousness and the ability to do lots of things at any time. I do, however, like the idea of warm weather and basketball games. I deposited at UCLA. I'm priority wait list at Georgetown and won't find out until the offer from Duke has expired. Can anyone from Duke comment? Will I be bored in the south? Should I be overly concerned about this considering I'll be in the library most of the time?

Dany

Diamond

Re: Duke??? (v UCLA or GULC)

Post by Dany » Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 pm

How much money did you get from UCLA?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Dany wrote:How much money did you get from UCLA?

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Thu May 26, 2011 9:33 pm

A bird in the hand...

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 pm

no money from UCLA. all sticker, all the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Go to Duke. Better NY placement than UCLA.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu May 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Duke.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Go to Duke. At sticker it is the best option for pretty much anything you want to do.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 am

Any money at other schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 27, 2011 12:23 am

Did Duke tell you that you're not under scholarship consideration, or are you just assuming you won't get anything? Because they tend to be pretty generous, even with those pulled from the waitlist.

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 am

beachbum wrote:Did Duke tell you that you're not under scholarship consideration, or are you just assuming you won't get anything? Because they tend to be pretty generous, even with those pulled from the waitlist.
No Duke didn't say one way or the other in terms of scholarship consideration. I just assumed because UCLA didn't give me anything and it's so late in the process. But that's a good point to bring up. I'll ask the guy when I talk to him. I'm going to call GULC tomorrow and ask where they are in the decision process. I really like the idea of being in DC, but if Duke is ready and willing today and not tomorrow...

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 am

rad law wrote:Any money at other schools?
I can go to St. John's for free. But I passed up on Fordham's $ in favor of UCLA already.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 27, 2011 12:56 am

minxthecat wrote:
I can go to St. John's for free. But I passed up on Fordham's $ in favor of UCLA already.
Damn bro no apps at Cornell, Texas, Vandy, GW, etc.?

But Duke I guess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:06 am

Got into USC as well, also no money. GW wait list because I applied late i figure. wait list at northwestern. hold at columbia. didnt want to go to cornell or vandy mainly due to locations.
rad law wrote:
minxthecat wrote:
Damn bro no apps at Cornell, Texas, Vandy, GW, etc.?

But Duke I guess.
Got into USC as well, also no money. GW wait list because I applied late i figure. wait list at northwestern. hold at columbia. didnt want to go to cornell or vandy mainly due to locations (upstate sucks and i've been to nashville and it didn't impress me). i prob should have applied to texas in retrospect but shit happens.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 1:07 am

Nashville didn't impress you but you still applied to Duke? In... Durham?

Anyway, both at sticker I think you have to go with Duke here. Sure the setting isn't exactly what you want, but with 3 years there you'll have a better chance of your ideal location after graduation (NYC).

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 am

Jumping on the Duke bandwagon here. And, no, I don't think you will be bored in Durham

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri May 27, 2011 1:12 am

Dany wrote:Nashville didn't impress you but you still applied to Duke? In... Durham?
Srs lulz

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:15 am

Dany wrote:Nashville didn't impress you but you still applied to Duke? In... Durham?
Yeah, well, they waived my application fee and so I clicked the box.

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 am

Does your accepting Duke, preclude you from not attending GULC if taking off their wait list? If not, the decision, assuming you desire GULC over UCLA, is if you want Duke over UCLA. If so, take Duke and if the decision to attend Duke is non-binding in regard to schools you remain waitlisted at, wait out GULC. The cost is an additional deposit, but when borrowing 200k dollars, what's another 1000 dollars.

wamanda

New

Post by wamanda » Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 am

Just FYI, I am in a similar situation. I suggest much, much more negotiation between UCLA and Duke. I told Duke about my offer from UCLA and an acceptance from UVA and they offered $48,000. I told UCLA about that and they upped their offer by $30,000. Now I'm ::this close to a full ride:: :D

There is no reason you should be paying sticker at either school, but especially UCLA. They are really generous with aid and Dean Schwartz is the coolest guy ever.

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:26 am

wamanda wrote:Just FYI, I am in a similar situation. I suggest much, much more negotiation between UCLA and Duke. I told Duke about my offer from UCLA and an acceptance from UVA and they offered $48,000. I told UCLA about that and they upped their offer by $30,000. Now I'm ::this close to a full ride:: :D

There is no reason you should be paying sticker at either school, but especially UCLA. They are really generous with aid and Dean Schwartz is the coolest guy ever.
That's awesome. It's a good idea. I might as well try with UCLA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 am

2011Cycle wrote:Does your accepting Duke, preclude you from not attending GULC if taking off their wait list? If not, the decision, assuming you desire GULC over UCLA, is if you want Duke over UCLA. If so, take Duke and if the decision to attend Duke is non-binding in regard to schools you remain waitlisted at, wait out GULC. The cost is an additional deposit, but when borrowing 200k dollars, what's another 1000 dollars.
Thanks. Yes, they made it pretty clear that I would have to commit to Duke if I want a formal acceptance.

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:32 am

wamanda wrote:There is no reason you should be paying sticker at either school, but especially UCLA. They are really generous with aid and Dean Schwartz is the coolest guy ever.
Did you call or email Schwartz?

2011Cycle

Bronze

Post by 2011Cycle » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 am

minxthecat wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:Does your accepting Duke, preclude you from not attending GULC if taking off their wait list? If not, the decision, assuming you desire GULC over UCLA, is if you want Duke over UCLA. If so, take Duke and if the decision to attend Duke is non-binding in regard to schools you remain waitlisted at, wait out GULC. The cost is an additional deposit, but when borrowing 200k dollars, what's another 1000 dollars.
Thanks. Yes, they made it pretty clear that I would have to commit to Duke if I want a formal acceptance.
I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.

minxthecat

New

Post by minxthecat » Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 am

2011Cycle wrote: I cannot locate the thread , but if I recall either the Michigan or Yale Dean of Admission posted a message on their respective site stating the ABA rules state an applicant who accepts an offer of admission is only required to withdraw applications to those schools from which it has heard a final decision, with the implication being schools which one have been wailisted by who subsequently offer an admission are fair game for the applicant. I have searched the forum but cannot find it. When I do I will insert the link.
Whoa that's great to know. But while technically I'm sure that's true, it seems like they really want me say I'd attend if accepted. I would think they'd move onto someone else if I don't. And if I do get accepted by GULC and decide to attend there, won't I look like a bastard for bullshitting? Seems like that'd be bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”