Stetson vs. California ($) TTTT vs. UNH ??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Stetson vs. California vs. UNH for IP

Western State
No votes
California Western
14%
Thomas Jefferson
7%
Golden Gate
No votes
Whittier School of Law
No votes
Stetson University School of Law, Florida
50%
University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce
29%
Drake University
No votes

Total votes: 14

g.u.m

Stetson vs. California ($) TTTT vs. UNH ??

Postby g.u.m » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

I currently live in CA and would love to practice IP/ Patent here in Los Angeles, but unfortunately I did not make it into any of the ranked CA schools. I took the lsat 3 times and I scored 150 each time. Retaking is not an option... (and changing careers isn't either)

Here is a list of schools I have been accepted to:

- Western State ($10,000/yr scholarship + full scholarship if I maintain above a 3.0)
- California Western (san diego)
- Thomas Jefferson ($11,000/yr scholarship, san diego)
- Golden Gate ($9,000/yr scholarship, san fransisco)
- Whittier School of Law ($8000/yr, orange county)

-Stetson University School of Law, Florida (ranked #1 in Trial Advocacy and #3 in Legal writing according to US News)
- University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property Law (ranked #4 in IP law according to US News)
- Drake University (Iowa)

I guess what I would like to know is, from the list of schools I have been accepted to, is it best to go to a relatively higher ranked school out-of-state or a TTTT school in-state??? what do employers prefer??

JD2014

Re: Stetson vs. California ($) TTTT vs. UNH ??

Postby JD2014 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

You prefaced the post with "can't retake, not reconsidering" so might as well dive in.

The general rule is go to school where you want to practice, unless you have a compelling reason (admission to a T-14 being the most common). Therefore, if you want to work in California, you should go to school there.

Stetson University School of Law, Florida (ranked #1 in Trial Advocacy and #3 in Legal writing according to US News)

These rankings are meaningless, and you don't want Florida. Cross Stetson off the list. Same with Drake.

As the California TTT's are interchangeable, go to whichever is the cheapest. Make sure to factor in cost of living, and the stipulations on the scholarships, as schools like these are notorious for taking them away.

Good luck.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:42 pm

g.u.m wrote:Retaking is not an option... (and changing careers isn't either)

Seeing that you got 3 150s in a row I can understand why retaking isn't an option, but why is changing careers not one? To be brutally honest, these schools are pretty horrible and there is a huge chance that you won't even get a full time law-related job.
g.u.m wrote:-Stetson University School of Law, Florida (ranked #1 in Trial Advocacy and #3 in Legal writing according to US News)
- University of New Hampshire, Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property Law (ranked #4 in IP law according to US News)

As the poster already mentioned, don't take the USNWR specialty ranking at face value. Would you seriously go to Stetson over Stanford if you are interested in trial advocacy or legal writing? The specialty rankings are simply laughable.

Horchata

Postby Horchata » Thu May 26, 2011 12:01 am

JD2014 wrote:
As the California TTT's are interchangeable, go to whichever is the cheapest. Make sure to factor in cost of living, and the stipulations on the scholarships, as schools like these are notorious for taking them away.

Good luck.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 am

None of the above?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 am

Stetson has amazing regional rep in Florida. If you don't mind practicing there for the next few years, I would strongly encourage it. Florida's legal market is different than the rest of the country, so the employment stats look worse to outsiders than people who know whats up. If you can pull $60,000k a year in the sunshine state, you are golden.

g.u.m

Postby g.u.m » Thu May 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks everyone!!! these imputs really do help! I can start narrowing down to my best options.

Does anyone know much about UNH, Franklin Pierce?? I heard it has a good reputation amongst patent attorney's across the nation. How true is this?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 pm

g.u.m wrote:Thanks everyone!!! these imputs really do help! I can start narrowing down to my best options.

Does anyone know much about UNH, Franklin Pierce?? I heard it has a good reputation amongst patent attorney's across the nation. How true is this?

Not very.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 pm

heard it has a good reputation amongst patent attorney's across the nation.

Depends on what you mean by "patent attorneys" and "across the nation." If you mean their alumni, and in New Hampshire, then probably.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu May 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Cupidity wrote:Stetson has amazing regional rep in Florida. If you don't mind practicing there for the next few years, I would strongly encourage it. Florida's legal market is different than the rest of the country, so the employment stats look worse to outsiders than people who know whats up. If you can pull $60,000k a year in the sunshine state, you are golden.

How so? (I'm legit curious).

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 am

Even before I knew I wanted to go to law school I was familiar w/ Franklin Pierce's reputation for IP law (and I am not from the Northeast). Sure that's highly ancedotal, but if you want IP, I'm voting UNH.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Fri May 27, 2011 11:40 am

JD2014 wrote:
As the California TTT's are interchangeable, go to whichever is the cheapest.

Not necessarily true. I would wager GGU and especially Cal Western have much stronger alumni networks than a relative newcomer like Thomas Jefferson. They are all terrible, but some of them are slightly less terrible.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”