UNLV vs USD no $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
japan4

UNLV vs USD no $

Postby japan4 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:22 pm

I unexpectedly received an acceptance letter from USD and have until Friday to decide. I already sent a deposit to UNLV as this was where I was expecting to go. Based on location I would much rather goto USD but without any scholarship money I am looking at about 65k per year in loans, vs 50+ at UNLV. If I become a Nevada resident (not sure how hard it is to do this) tuition will drop to 20k per year, obviously a considerable savings over 45k at USD. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Debt will be high regardless of which school I choose. Which one will give me greater opportunity??

t3hevildonut

Re: UNLV vs USD no $

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Last edited by t3hevildonut on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

japan4

Postby japan4 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

That is #1 on my agenda

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 pm

UNLV is a much better school than USD, primarily because UNLV faces no competition for jobs in Nevada whereas USD has a lot more competition from other CA schools on top of being located in a very desirable place to live. In 2009, 80% of UNLV grads got full time jobs as lawyers whereas only 60% of USD grads got those (source: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com). It also seems possible, though not guaranteed, to get in-state tuition from UNLV assuming you spend your summer in Nevada as well as register to vote, get a NV driver's license, etc.

That being said, if you go to UNLV that means you will be working in NV for the foreseeable future and you have to be okay with that. On top of that, UNLV is still damn expensive (even if you do get in-state tuition for 2L/3L). Honestly I think your best course of action is retake/reapply, especially if you want to work outside NV.

japan4

Postby japan4 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Many have suggested that I retake/reapply, It is simply not an option for me, I am determined to go this year and make the best of whatever school I end up at.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:40 pm

japan4 wrote:Many have suggested that I retake/reapply, It is simply not an option for me, I am determined to go this year and make the best of whatever school I end up at.

Unless you've taken the LSAT 3 times or someone has a gun to your head, it is an option and you're just being too impatient to consider it. Why would you rush into something that is going to cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars?

japan4

Postby japan4 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:43 pm

I would just prefer to go in the fall then wait another year. I am getting old and am incredibly unhappy at my job. Another year seems like an eternity. The time for me is now....

Rule11

Postby Rule11 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

japan4 wrote:I would just prefer to go in the fall then wait another year. I am getting old and am incredibly unhappy at my job. Another year seems like an eternity. The time for me is now....

Never go to law school to escape. If you hate your job, quit and get a new one for a year (or maybe you don't hate it so much after all).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”